The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 25, 2017, 02:45 PM   #26
tobnpr

I would only pay based on the used value of the action for most common rifles with unknown history.
Round count? Critical on magnums and other throat burners. Could be that 7 mag has 50 rounds/very limited hunting use, or it could be shot out and needs to be set back or rebarreled.
Care and cleaning...I'd rather a rifle have never been cleaned, than cleaned by a hack with a segmented rod from the muzzle end.

If you're the type of gun owner that's perfectly happy with entry level rifles it makes no sense to buy used due to the risks involved for the few (very few) bucks that might be saved- just get the Ruger American (or whichever manuf) and you'll have new with warranty.

Back to the original post, with very few exceptions modern rifles are not "investments" any more than the new car you drive off the lot.
They don't appreciate- they depreciate, just like the car, as soon as you take possession.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old August 29, 2017, 08:21 AM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

I got to thinking about this, and realized that while my very first rifle (of my own) was a brand new Winchester .22, as my 14th birthday present, all the other rifles I have bought in the nearly 50 years since, have been used.

From lightly used sporters to 100+year old milsurps, I've owned probably over 100 rifles over the years, and other than the one, I can't think of any that I bought "brand new".

Never had any real "lemons", though some were pretty beat, I knew that going in...

Not sure if this means anything, but in my opinion, if you ignore used rifles, you're missing out on a lot.
Old August 29, 2017, 09:25 AM   #28
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I have visions of Sumdood sneering at a good-used modern bolt action, but eager to whip out a Platinum card over a high-grade 1890s Winchester.
Old August 29, 2017, 09:57 AM   #29
Don Fischer

Getting to the point that one of these days I either buy used or quit buying. The though of stainless is bad enough but plastic stock's are on everything these days. Can't handle stainless or plastic!
Old August 29, 2017, 11:29 AM   #30
RaySendero

I like old rifles!

I like old rifles - Especially if price is low.

Like to stop and look at various gun shops or gun shows.
When I come across one at a good price, I buy.
They can be few and far between - But I'm just looking and prepared.
Old August 29, 2017, 11:55 AM   #31
Lohman446

Set aside military surplus for a moment.

What percentage of used rifles out there have actually been shot enough that wear is an issue? How much lower does this drop if you do away with the known "burners"? The chances of getting a shot out 30-06 seem pretty low to me.
Old August 29, 2017, 02:45 PM   #32
bricz75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
Getting to the point that one of these days I either buy used or quit buying. The though of stainless is bad enough but plastic stock's are on everything these days. Can't handle stainless or plastic!
Simply acquire an aftermarket wood stock for the rifle that comes with a plastic stock.
Old August 29, 2017, 03:18 PM   #33
Dranrab

From reading this forum and numerous other gun forums on a regular basis there is another category of used guns. Those that an experienced shooter buys and get get to shoot worth a crap. They proudly get sold, traded or otherwise "sent down the road." I would assume always with full disclosure since we are a stand-up class of citizens.
Old August 29, 2017, 03:51 PM   #34
hdwhit

Quote:
bricz75 wrote:
This got me thinking about the risks of buying a used lemon. I read an article about how a gunsmith will check out a used rifle for a fee. IIRC, the fee was about $100. That would be a large part of a used rifle purchase if the rifle only costs a few or several hundred dollars.
If you're trading in the rare and collectable end of the market where you're paying, say, $800 and up for a gun, then $100 to a gunsmith to make sure everything is okay is simply a wise move to protect your investment.

If you're trading in the commodity end of the market then what you want to do is get a bore light like Art Eatman mentioned and if you don't already know what to look for in checking the bore, the condition of the rifling, the leade, the chamber, and the crown of the barrel, get someone to teach you.

Also research the type(s) of guns you are looking to buy and make sure you know the common trouble spots. Once you've got that, go out and get some experience. Yes, you will pick up a lemon here or there, but you'll learn from the experience and be more astute next time - and your losses will still be less than what you would have paid a gunsmith to inspect each one of them.
Old August 30, 2017, 03:38 PM   #35
bricz75

Thanks all.
Old August 31, 2017, 04:30 PM   #36
ndking1126

Quote:
IMO, one of the most telling signs is the condition of the screws; particularly the action screws and the ones on the scope and mount. If those are ugly, then someone's had a tough time getting it to shoot well.
There's some good advice given, but I think this is the best and most practical given.

I basically don't buy new guns anymore. I don't buy many used ones for the record, but only one problem to speak of. Bought a Romanian SKS that looked to be in decent condition. Shot 6-7" groups at 50 yards no matter what I fed it and I didn't keep it that long. Even giving full disclosure to the seller, I made money on it thanks to the market picking up.

Actually, one of the most accurate guns I have is an older Savage 10 in 243. It looked horrible inside and out. Price was low enough that I decided to take a chance knowing I could re-barrel if needed. Cleaned it really well, put a scope on it and was pleasantly surprised once I found the ammo it likes.
Old August 31, 2017, 07:15 PM   #37
alex0535

Sometimes you get what you pay for, other times you get lucky.

A used $200 Marlin turned out to be the most accurate rimfire I've ever shot. Under a half inch at 100 yards, under that it'll make ragged single hole groups if I do my part. I don't plan to ever part with it. Im thinking the original owner couldn't shoot well enough to see it's potential.

I like to check the crown, rifling, inspect for blemishes, you can estimate how used it was and some see very little.
Old September 2, 2017, 09:51 AM   #38
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
IMO, one of the most telling signs is the condition of the screws; particularly the action screws and the ones on the scope and mount. If those are ugly, then someone's had a tough time getting it to shoot well.
I have to disagree with this, slightly. Buggered up screw heads are not any positive indication that someone had a tough time getting it to shoot well.

What they are is proof that someone liked to tinker with the rifle, take it apart and put it together, possibly but not certainly to get it to shoot better. There could be a number of reasons. The ONLY thing the screw heads will positively tell you is that when they are messed up, someone used the wrong screwdrivers.

And, using the wrong screwdrivers is USUALLY a sign that the previous owner didn't care much about the rifle. The general assumption is, if they didn't bother to use the right screwdrivers, they MAY have done other improper things to the gun, and that's why its a warning sign.
Old September 2, 2017, 11:21 AM   #39
J.G. Terry

Used rifles that may or may not be a good deal....

I have gotten some good deals on used rifles. I'd rather have a good used rifle as opposed to some of the current entry level rifles. You have left out one or two classes of used gun. First up is the one Bubba took apart. He lost parts or put'um back together wrong. Runs down to the LGS to make a trade. The other is a light weight magnum rifle. Item can be found with part box of factory cartridges. The magnum rifle can be a super deal. Former owner can be found hunched over using a cane with a half circle cut w/stitches above his right eye.
Old September 2, 2017, 03:38 PM   #40
Paul B.

I think I've done reasonably well buying used rifles. I can only think of two that were unsalvageable dogs. One a Mauser milsurp conversion to .358 Win. that I never could get to shoot anything but patterns. Sold it as an action only deal for $50 more than I paid for it. I had it on my table at a gun show and a guy walked up, looked at it and said, "I'll go $250." I told him the barrel was no good and he said he wanted it for the action which was i great shape. He's happy and I ended up happy.
Tale of two guns. I was looking for Ruger #1 to get the action for a build I was considering. Found a #1B in 25-06 that looked like it was rode hard and put away wet. Price was reasonable so I bought it. Never having had a 25-06 I mounted a scope, bought a box of ammo and took it to the range. It was a tack driver. Guess I have to look for something else. Found another in 25-06 with a scope that was reasonably priced. Like like it'd never been shot, beautiful wood, what was not to like. It must have one of the bad barrels Ruger was plagued with as accuracy was nil.
Frankly, if I was looking for something in a used rifle, I'd scour the gun shows and look for a J.C. Higgins M50 or M51. They came in .270 Win. and 30-06. Not sure if it's really needed but I'd change the trigger to a Timney and never look back. The original stock may feel a bit clubby to a person with smaller hands but a talented person in working with wood can slim it down to what ever level of thinness he wants. I've owned several (still do) and I've not yet found one with a bad barrel. Make nice FN Mauser actions for a custom rifle as well. I made one into a nice European style 7x57 and it's a favorite rifle.
Paul B.
Old September 26, 2017, 10:47 PM   #41
rc

Start with proven gun!

The better quality the guns from that maker the less likely you'll get a lemon. Also consider the source. An estate sale is probably not lemons. Take old Winchester 22 bolt guns. People don't appreciate them anymore. Great guns and seldom anything wrong other than being beat to hell or a minor problem that can be fixed. Don't expect a used gun to be perfect but these days the new guns seem to have as many or more problems because of a lack of quality control. I bought a marlin bolt 22 and it had a bad crown and crappy trigger. Once addressed the gun shot great. I bought a used Ruger 77 that looked great, had the bedding removed from the tip of the barrel attempting to free float but no other bedding was done. Doesn't shoot that well but bedding should take care of it. Sometimes you get used guns nobody makes anymore and sometimes you get ones guys have tinkered with and ruined. It's rare to get a true lemon on the used market but I'm sure they are out there.
Old September 27, 2017, 06:40 AM   #42
Rancid

I've finally gotten out of the gun buying business. I've sold probably half of the guns I've owned and never regretted getting rid of any of them. But gun money is gun money, not for replacing the worn out washing machine. In other words, what I make on selling a gun I put into another one. And now it is all about calibers, and not whether it is wood, plastic, new or used. The last gun I bought (after selling a few others) was a new Howa barreled action in 6.5CM. I l already had the stock and a few other assorted things (bases and rings). I'm quite happy with it too. So, now I have that caliber to contend with and load for. I do not need anymore calibers. I can't afford to feed the one's I have! So, now when I peruse the racks at my LGS the first thing I look for is the caliber. What's nice is that I have quite a few (too many!) calibers already, so it's nice to just look and not have to worry about buying anything. All it takes is the thought of having to purchase new dies, different caliber bullets, etc. and I get a bad taste in my mouth.
Old September 28, 2017, 04:03 PM   #43
jumpingeezer

I've accumulated about fifty rifles and shotguns and about half as many handguns over a lifetime that spans almost seventy years. I can count on one hand the number of firearms that I have bought new.

I am always looking for that "great deal" on a firearm that I have on my list of pieces that I really want to own. Most of my purchases have been at gun shows and estate sales. I know what the price of the arm should be and I will try to negotiate a deal if I find something that I really want at a price that seems reasonable.

I ALWAYS walk away if the seller won't negotiate. I NEVER pay more than I think the piece is worth regardless of how much I want it.

I have NEVER been disappointed in any of my purchases.