The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 4, 2013, 10:29 PM   #1
mayosligo

Trying to learn more about C and R and ammo

Would like to get a C and R rifle. Love the history but would also like something I can get ammo for. What is the most available ammo and then from that, what are my rifle options? Always liked the Swedish Mauser and Swiss K-31
Old February 4, 2013, 10:36 PM   #2
zbones6

Mosin Mosin Mosin

By far the most available ammo on the market is the 7.62x54R Russian cartridge. Any model of Mosin Nagant will fire it, certain types of dm rifles like the Dragunov and clones. The rifles are cheap too. about $150
Old February 4, 2013, 10:53 PM   #3
the rifleer

K31 still has ammo available and there is commercial stuff on the market that is about the same price as normal centerfire ammo.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:25 PM   #4
Unspoken

Ah, you have fine taste sir Mayo. Go get a K31. That straight pull is downright addictive. Problem is, they multiply like rabbits. Over a 2 week span my K31 spawned 2 more k31s and a k11. You've been warned.

Like zbones said, 54r is the easiest to find & cheapest round in town. I'd vote for the M38 carbine Mosin. They're obnoxiously loud and spit a big fireball with each trigger pull. Tons of fun.

The Garand, M1 carbine, and SKS are a bit pricier, but you really should get your hands on one.

Last edited by Unspoken; February 4, 2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old February 5, 2013, 11:10 AM   #5
noelf2

Quote:
I'd vote for the M38 carbine Mosin.
M38s are not as available as they used to be, and cost too much now. Only mosin you can get in the $100-$150 range now is the M91/30, which is still a fine rifle for that price.
Old February 5, 2013, 03:07 PM   #6
kilimanjaro

Don't fret about the ammo. Prvi Partizan and Fiocchi make ammo for just about anything. Do get a reloading setup and you can recycle your brass forever. The K31 surplus ammo is outstanding, clean, but Berdan primed.

I just picked up a nice K31 at the pawn shop, ordered some Prvi ammo, I'll shoot it up and have 500 cases fire-formed to the rifle chamber to reload for a long, long time. The Swedish 6.5mm is at most shops. The 7.62x64R is either the cheap non-reloadable surplus or you can get the Sellier & Belloit or Prvi commercial stuff and reload it.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:06 PM   #7
tobnpr

Ammo for most is not a problem, but most now (except for the 54 Russian) is factory and not surplus. Even most of the 8mm is gone.

The K-31 is an awsome rifle..why anyone would pay $200 for a Mosin (and I own four of them) when you can still find a K-31 for about $300 is beyond me.

The K-31 is head and shoulders above even many modern rifles in terms of quality, and accuracy. Interestingly enough, the GP-11 surplus, while not cheap, is AMAZINGLY accurate for surplus ammo. I've been unable to handload anything that performs better- and that's VERY odd for factory ammo of any kind, let alone surplus.

Not cheap at $.50/round- but you didn't say "cheap"- just available. It is now, but seems to be getting scarce.
Old February 7, 2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Duzell

just go to big five, they have sales on mosins a lot. can get for 98 dollars $,

also you normally get sling, ammo pouches, cleaning kit, and gaping tool

if you decide on a mosin, look down the barrel for pitting, make sure numbers match, check out the bolt and make sure it dosnt stick

if you find one you like clean the cosmoline out, by either heating up gun or gun cleaning solvents (hopps ect)

after clean take for a shoot and see what its quirks are. if possible buy the front end adjustment tool to adjust sights if not zeroed (they rarely are)
Old February 8, 2013, 01:56 PM   #9
randy45

Mosin Nagant....7.62x54r....I have 2 of the original battle rifles, two of M44 carbines, 1 M38 carbine and 1 Model 91/30...they all use the same ammo and at the saxet you can get cans of 440 rounds for about 90 bucks.....haven't had a misfire or dud from any of the ammo I have bought and put through them....
Old February 8, 2013, 02:19 PM   #10
leadchucker

Guns that I can't shoot affordably don't interest me at all. Availability and cost of ammo is what keeps me away from a lot of good C&R guns. I like the Mosins for that reason. I'm sure that the supply of cheap surplus 7.62x54r will eventually dry up too though.
Old February 8, 2013, 10:22 PM   #11
jake99

AIM has the 91/30's now.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:36 AM   #12
noelf2

Quote:
I'm sure that the supply of cheap surplus 7.62x54r will eventually dry up too though.
Yep, so get 'em while you can!
Old February 11, 2013, 07:13 PM   #13
Melkiper

I really enjoy shooting my 91/30. Sights were spot on right from the create
Old February 12, 2013, 10:40 PM   #14
carguychris

Quote:
What is the most available ammo and then from that, what are my rifle options?
Can't beat .22LR. Keep in mind that C&R does not necessarily equal milsurp!. There are literally dozens- if not hundreds- of types of 50+ year old vintage .22's out there.

My favorite "shooter" C&R rifle is an early-model Winchester Model 69. I've been considering picking up a Model 75, which is the heavy-barrel competition version of the same basic rifle; it takes the same magazines, so I already have spares.

If you favor military rifles, there are many .22LR trainer versions of "real" milsurp rifles out there, although some are quite rare and consequently may run expensive.