The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old July 3, 2009, 08:16 PM   #1
jj00026

Watch out for Eclipsetactical!!

Eclipsetactical is a con artist. On the forum (Gunboards) this person is called Phearno1.I order 380 ammo from this person on 5/24/09. I sent emails/pm to this person with no answer. Finally i get a answer. First excuse was i was out of town.(RIGHT)A few weeks after that,was there was a problem with my address.(RIGHT AGAIN)Its now 7/3/09,and wow no ammo yet. I been recieveing emails from other members explaining to me how they been con by this person. Either its sending junk magazines to members or in my case not sending anything at all. Im out $82.00. Lesson learn hmm.Be very carefull people. Its the same "MO",but a different forum.Have sometime,look at Gunboard forum.
Old July 3, 2009, 08:55 PM   #2
mon10

Eclipsetactical

I guess I remember the name when he ask me about the lower parts kits on my ad.I told him what I can go for when he told me he is a dealer too and wants to buy the rest of my stock I told him I can only give him 6 kits cause I am holding 15 for my gun show customer.He told me he can also inquire from DPMS he said he has an account there too.He also ask me if I want some other items he have in stock I told him I don't need any of his stuff.I know this guy is trying to BS so I simply ignore him.
Old July 5, 2009, 06:16 PM   #3
eclipsetactical

I will first reply to the first poster:

I really didn't even want to acknowledge you with a response when a moderator told me about this post but I guess I am going to have to defend myself. I have nothing to do with your transaction on some other board. I am not phearno1.

I will now reply to the second poster:

Please stay out of a situation that is none of your concern.

Bottom line is I have never done business with either of you. It [this thread] is filled with false statements and based on a situation that the starter of this thread has with a member of another board.

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; July 5, 2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: removal of inflammatory remarks
Old July 5, 2009, 09:53 PM   #4
Swissrifles1

So you are not this guy??...

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=109804
Old July 5, 2009, 10:50 PM   #5
eclipsetactical

That definately was me and a refund was made to that person. I was unable to post any reply because I was banned from the forums. But I do have a USPS Money Order proving refund was made to that gentleman in full. I made that refund when I could have just kept his money with no consiquences, I made it cause it was the right thing to do.

Once again though that was a member on another board not this one and I have made refunds to all the people that were involved in that transaction with the AK mags. Sometimes you make a mistake and all you can do is your best to rectify the situation. That was months ago all the problems happened with the mags. I do not see what bringing it back up now has to do with some transaction on another board not involving me.

There was already a post about this on TFL forums from an actual transaction from TFL envolving the magazines. As I said I did my best to take care of the situation and admit completely to the mistake.

I still feel very strongly this thread has no place on these forums. What someone else does on some other forum being used as a cataylist for bringing up old business that I went to great lengths to fix is not right. I am sure everyone here can say they have never made a mistake. huh?
Old July 6, 2009, 12:07 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

"It's a feedback thread, get it? It's open for feedback to anyone who wants to post."

No, that is NOT the case at all. IF you have personal experience with one or both of the parties in a dispute you are more than welcome to weigh in as long as you abide by all of TFL's extant rules.

Those who have no personal experience/involvement with either of the parties, who just want to jump into to offer their own two cents, such as "You should do the right thing," "You're a crook, I'll never do business with you," etc. are NOT to engage in the thread.

Those who do will have their posts deleted and, if they don't take the warning, may be banned from TFL entirely.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 6, 2009, 05:18 PM   #7
tgstoken

I may be incorrect in my assumption, but I assumed the feedback forum was a place to let the public in on a dispute over fraudulent activities and for forum members to offer advice. A way to make the wrong party aware and accountable for their mistake and to help guide them to a resolution. After all, what would be the point of a feedback thread, if no help or support could be given to the wronged party? I for one think its great to have a heads up on a poor seller before I take the plunge and make a poor purchase decision. If we cant leave "feedback" then why is this called a feedback forum??
Old July 6, 2009, 05:49 PM   #8
frmboybuck

This should be common sense for most people but evidently some don't understand...If you have not dealt with someone, then you have no feedback to leave. Eclipsetactical is being treated unfairly in this thread by a few people that have NEVER dealt with him. This thread should be deleted
Old July 6, 2009, 08:24 PM   #9
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Rootcanal,
While there's no actual rule stating the specifics to support Mike's statement, the board has rules regarding inflammatory remarks and personal attacks. This carries over to the Feedback forum as one of the rules of the Gun Show is to also follow the board rules. Stating empty garbage as Mike stated will not be tolerated. The links you provided actually supports this claim. There are a few posts that are questionable. But the posts made by Staff and other members are engaging to help resolve the situation for the most part. This isn't an issue. Empty garbage posts are. The first link is before my time and before a dedicated Staff member was to primarily moderate the Gun Show.

We could write rules upon rules as thick as the book of War and Peace. OR, we could set up basic rules like the Constitution and BOR and members can PM a Staff member if clarification is needed on cases. I chose to run the Gun Show with the latter philosophy. No matter how many rules are posted to cover just about every topic imaginable, there's always a case that will slip through the cracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgstoken
I for one think its great to have a heads up on a poor seller before I take the plunge and make a poor purchase decision. If we cant leave "feedback" then why is this called a feedback forum??
Because we're not here to be a springboard to dump off bad feedback on a transaction that didn't happen on THIS forum. What happens on another site is their business, not ours even if it was with a person that happens to be a member here. We're not here to police the world. We will not now, nor ever be an official record keeping service of all that happens with members good or bad. It's the buyer/seller that's responsible for researching the other party before a transaction takes place. We are A source for deals that happen here, but not THE source. To allow what happens on another site to be dumped on here opens up a can of worms that none of us wants to deal with. There are rare exceptions to the rule....RARE. This isn't one of them.

Quote:
This thread should be deleted
No, it shouldn't and will not. There are issues on both sides of the token that need to be left open. IF Eclipse is guilty, what good is it to delete the evidence from other viewers in the future? IF Eclipse is innocent, what good is it to delete information to provide proof of false accusations?

Now, about the accusation:

1. A new member makes his/her FIRST and only post to slap an accusation on a member.

2. The transaction has nothing to do with this board.

3. Eclipse apparently isn't under the handle of phearno1. All other information thereafter is the dog barking up the wrong tree.

4. mon10 comes along and posts nothing of relevance to back his/her claim other than his/her feeling of Eclipse is lying to him/her. All I see in that barely indicipherable post is Eclipse offering his services.

5. Neither mon10 nor jj00026 has responded since their "claim". If it's sooo important to notify the gunowning community of a bad dealer, why drop a bomb and leave? Sounds to me like it's borderline trolling.

6. Eclipse has responded TWICE to refute claims and provide explanations to other members' questions.

I'm not asserting Eclipse is innocent or guilty. What I am saying is one shouldn't make snap decisions until the full story is laid out or at least BOTH parties have provided adequate information.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old July 6, 2009, 08:35 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

Actually, Tuttle, there WAS a specific policy.

I reference it here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341038

It was adopted before you were added to staff to deal with people deciding that their "You need to be a man" and "You should do what's right" or "I'll never deal with this person" had some sort of validity in a disagreement.

Unfortunately, given all of the updates and finessing to the rules that have been made in the last few months it appears that our "Stay the **** out of it if you don't have personal experience with either of the two parties" has been inadvertently deleted.

Both Mal and I had to deal with a number of these back at the beginning of the year...

AH... found it.

This thread, for whatever reason, was probably the worst one of all.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335158

Fully TWENTY-TWO messages were deleted from it because individuals just had to get in their "You should be a man" etc. "contributions."

At least one long-term poster was also banned permanently because of his meddling in this thread.

At some point we lost the rule. I don't know why, I don't know how.

So no, Rootcanal, we have not always allowed unfettered discussion of deals in this section, especially when they take the form of non-contributory contributions such as those that I have described above.

I'll say it again.

If you have NO vested interest in the deal that is being described, and no personal business interaction with either of the parties, STAY OUT OF THE THREAD.

Old July 6, 2009, 08:46 PM   #11
Mal H
Staff

The rules thread specific to this forum have been found and re-stuck at the top. They were never rescinded, the thread was only lost for a short while.
Old July 6, 2009, 08:48 PM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

Rootcanal,

For your viewing pleasure...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=336632

Somehow someone on staff inadvertently unstickied this thread, which was the original rules thread for this forum.

You'll note this:

"If you are not involved in a dispute then DO NOT INVOLVE YOURSELF!
Please feel free to add your experience to a thread if you see feedback for a member or business that you have done business with. IF NOT, LEAVE IT ALONE!"

That particular rule was enacted late last year or earlier this year because so many people just couldn't hold their water and just had to get involved in threads in ways that were not productive and in many cases antagonistic.

As far as I know, that rule is still in effect here even if it did disappear for while without staff noticing it.

As far as I'm concerned, end of this particular branch of this discussion.

Old July 6, 2009, 11:58 PM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

"So if an "uninvolved" poster has something truly of value to share with the OP..."

You know, Root, you're doing a VERY fine job of avoiding acknowledging just what has been very clearly pointed out.

It's that kind of willful argumentativeness that has gotten people banned here in the past.

But, just for the exercise's sake, tell us, just what is truly USEFUL with several examples of types of unwelcome comments that I've given here?

Do you really think that anyone is going to be swayed to "do the right thing," or "be a man" just because he reads a general admonition from a stranger?

Maybe, just maybe, it might turn his life around and he'll dedicate his fortune and self to the church? Is that the idea? To convert people in a moralistic religious crusade? The Third Great Internet Awakening, maybe?

How about telling someone that "I'll never do business with you!" That's another popular one. Man, I bet that puts the fear of bankruptcy front and center and they'll immediately straighten up and fly right.

Right?

Come, come, Root.

I think even you're intelligent enough to recognize just what constitutes a useful tidbit of information that could further understanding and reconciliation between the two disagreeing parties one one hand, and on the other the vacuous self aggrandizing ramblings of someone who just needs to say something, anything, so that he can point to it as some sort of proof that he was alive and cogent at X time on X day.

Old July 7, 2009, 01:19 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

Well, I can see that I was unfortunately incorrect, you can't differentiate between useful and useless insertion into a discussion.

What other forums do is of no consequence here.

If this is so important to you, I suggest that you get your own internet forum and administer it as you see fit.

But when you're here at TFL, the rules of THIS forum apply, and you will abide by them, or you won't participate. It's as simple as that.

My very pointed advice to you right now is drop this, accept what you're not going to change, and move on. If you're not capable of that, you will be moved on.

Old July 17, 2009, 12:40 PM   #15
passintime

Did this ever get resolved? Eclipse has some merchandise I am looking to purchase and I want to be sure this is cleared up before I do so. Thanks!
"You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations — these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit — immortal horrors or everlasting splendors." ~~~CS Lewis