The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 24, 2005, 09:06 PM   #1
redrooster2

Neck-sizing question?

When using a neck-sizing die, other than the inside of the case neck, is it necessary to lube the body of the case?
Old April 24, 2005, 10:42 PM   #2
cheygriz

No.
Old April 25, 2005, 12:26 AM   #3
redrooster2

Thanks, that's what I thought but just wanted to make sure.
Old April 25, 2005, 09:38 AM   #4
Zekewolf

IF you use the Lee collet die set, you don't need to lube anything.
Old April 25, 2005, 10:47 AM   #5
Lennyjoe

I'm neck sizing 22-250 with a RCBS die and dont have to use lube either.
Old April 26, 2005, 11:58 PM   #6
cuate

Neck Sizing Question

I generally do lube the necks especially if the decapping pin/inner sizer is in the die, have had the latter hang in there and a pain to get out. My proceedure is to decap with a die for that purpose, resize the neck down, expand slightly with a die for that. Then the bullet with gas check will barely start in the neck. After powder the seating die and definitly no need to crimp. All this of course with a six holer press. Talking about '06 and 30-40 rifle rounds.
(Lee Dies) Slow but accurate.
Old April 27, 2005, 12:59 PM   #7
Zekewolf

Cuate: How about expanding on "bullet with gas check...."????

Thanks
Old April 29, 2005, 10:48 AM   #8
Throckmorton

Zekewolf

Bullets with gas checks..
some cast lead bullets have a bevled base to which is attached a metal cup which prevents deforming of the bullet base by the hot gases upon firing.The bullets have to made to accept them and it takes a luber/sizer to attach them,IIRC.
They are used in hot pistol loads as well.Still cheper than jacketed bullets,again IIRC.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old April 29, 2005, 01:32 PM   #9
Zekewolf

Thanks for the info. It never occurred to me to reload cast rifle bullets. I wouldn't think they'd be as accurate as quality match, jacketed bullets.
Old April 29, 2005, 10:08 PM   #10
Smokey Joe

Neck sizing and cast bullets

I use the Lee Collet neck-sizing die--works slick, accurate ammo, no lube to have to clean off. It includes a decapper, and since there is no expander ball, there is never a problem with the non-lubed case neck, inside or out.

Cast rifle bullets--The fans of cast rifle bullets will claim superb accuracy from them. Real blackpowder accuracy nuts actually use a 2-part bullet cast from 2 different alloys. And a paper patch wound onto the bullet. But they do get results. You shoot cast bullets slower than jacketed rifle bullets, and the reloading recipies are all different. Gas checks are just about mandatory in rifle loads, I understand. Lead bullet pistol loads up to about 1300 fps can be done w/o the gas checks.

--Smokey Joe
Old April 29, 2005, 10:34 PM   #11
DAVID NANCARROW

I have used the Lee collet die for a while myself, and it seems to work pretty well. I also have the Hornady neck sizing die, which has a teardrop shape to the expander-seems to be a bit easier on the neck than the old RCBS.

With the Hornady, I barely touch the case mouth with lube and it does very well, but I really like the no-lube quality of the Lee. The only thing you want to be careful of is the mandrel being dead straight. My first Lee collet had a slight bend to the mandrel, and my case necks were coming out crooked. I replaced the mandrel and all is well. No big thing to check-just roll it across a flat glass pane and any irregularities will show itself immediately.