The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 20, 2017, 10:37 AM   #1
dahermit

"feels good in the hand"

I have frequently seen that statement in regard to the handling characteristics of a handgun. My questions are: If a gun "feels good" does that always result in a more accurate gun? Can a gun that "does not feel good in the hand", like being barrel heavy actually be more conducive to accuracy than a gun that "feels good."
Old November 20, 2017, 10:58 AM   #2
SonOfScubaDiver

I am far from an expert, but I have a gun that feels great in my hand that I shoot worse than all my guns. And the one gun that feels the worst in my hand is one that I shoot well. The former is a SW40VE, and the latter is a Glock 35. I've bought a spring kit and XS sights for the SW40VE, and still cannot shoot the thing very well. The G35 is bone stock, and I'm getting 3-4 inch groups at 25 yards. I also have a stock M&P 2.0 9mm that both fits in my hand well and that I shoot very well. So, "feeling good in the hand" doesn't necessarily mean shooting well, in my not so expert opinion.
Old November 20, 2017, 11:09 AM   #3
OzeanJaeger

I agree. You should choose the tool you're best with on an objective basis. Not on a subjective one like, "it feels good in my hand".

It's a gun. All guns feel good in my hands.
Old November 20, 2017, 11:29 AM   #4
rickyrick

I would say maybe, lol. If that “good feel” also makes the gun index in the right spot, then it could make for a more accurate gun. But it is still a maybe. One of several ingredients to a good shooter I guess.
Old November 20, 2017, 12:24 PM   #5
NoSecondBest

I can pick up any quality handgun and shoot it well if it's an accurate handgun to begin with. Regardless of "how it feels", that characteristic has almost nothing to do with being able to shoot the gun well. There are accurate handguns and inaccurate handguns. Inaccurate handguns will never shoot well and accurate ones always will if you adhere to the proper principals on how to shoot a handgun. Repetitive shooting with good technique will make a good/accurate handgun shine. Forget the c**p about how it feels.
Old November 20, 2017, 12:47 PM   #6
rickyrick

So everyone can just buy hi points and save a lot of money. They are reliable and accurate. Just really awkward.

Ergonomics matter no matter the endeavor, blacksmith, meat cutter, shooter or whatever, ergonomics can make a difference.
May not make a gun more accurate but it can give something a nudge in the right direction. Better fit to the user is always better.
Old November 20, 2017, 01:29 PM   #7

I agree that I dont' shoot guns that "feel good in the hand" any better than any other gun. The gun itself is either accurate or it isn't.
Feeling good in the hand to me, means just that: it feels good in the hand. Like a Browning Hi-Power or a SAA.

We could just all buy Hi-Points and for 99% of us, they would do just fine. However, vanity wouldn't allow that.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old November 20, 2017, 02:49 PM   #8
rickyrick

Quote:
However, vanity wouldn't allow that.
That’s probably the most of it, lol.
Old November 20, 2017, 02:49 PM   #9
kmw1954

I'm one of those "Feels good in the hand" people and I suppose it means different things to different people. What "feels good" in my hand may feel terrible in yours.

When I use that phrase I am referring to these things. How does it fit my hand? Big, small, just right. Are there sharp or harsh edges. How many fingers can I get on the grip comfortably. When I pick up the weapon and bring it on target does it point naturally or do I have to hunt for the sights and target? When I fire the weapon is it beating my hand to death? An I able to control the recoil and recover for a second shot?

I have smaller hands and have fired a few larger framed larger caliber guns that were very uncomfortable. A few that upon firing would peel the skin on the webbing between my thumb and finger. Not pleasant at all and didn't feel good in my hand. Certainly not something I would want to spend a day at the range with.

I can pretty much hit most targets with the 1st shot, it's the recovery and follow up shots that make a difference. Feel play a big part in that whether folks want to admit it or not.
Old November 20, 2017, 03:02 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...does that always..." Not if it has a crappy trigger, small sights and it's shot with lousy ammo. Ever pick up an absolutely GI 1911A1? Fits nice and feels good because of that, but the trigger is poor and the sights are friggin' tiny.
Front sight on my Inglis BHP is an inverted triangle. Factory trigger has that idiot mag safety too. Feels good in the hand though.
"...being barrel heavy..." Has a tendency to cause low shots.
Old November 20, 2017, 03:29 PM   #11
tony pasley

How comfortable it fits the hand does make easier to shoot if all else is in order, mechanically and proper shooting habits
Old November 20, 2017, 03:37 PM   #12
TailGator

I'm another who thinks that grip comfort and shape, as long as it is within reason, has little effect on accuracy by a shooter.
Old November 20, 2017, 03:40 PM   #13
dahermit

Quote:
How comfortable it fits the hand does make easier to shoot if all else is in order, mechanically and proper shooting habits
I can give examples where that seems not to be the case. I had a High Standard Model B whose grip frame was way too small to get a comfortable grip. It had fixed sights. It also had a long, thin six-inch barrel. Despite not feeling secure in my hand, it was the most accurate to shoot .22 handgun I have ever fired including my present Browning Buckmark and an early Blued Ruger Target model with target sights and a bull barrel. Both the Browning and the Ruger "felt good in my hand", whereas that High Standard did not.
Old November 20, 2017, 04:05 PM   #14
jmr40

In all but extreme cases that phrase is just a way of someone justifying their favorite gun, or the one they are accustomed to. The human hand will conform to whatever shape is put in it, within reason. There are obvious exceptions where some guns are too small or large for some people. But the phrase is an overused excuse in my opinion.

Winston Churchill
Old November 20, 2017, 08:22 PM   #15
JERRYS.

generally if it "feels good in your hand", you will shoot it better because you'll probably shoot it more often.
Old November 20, 2017, 08:31 PM   #16
xcc_rider

To me "feels good in the hand" means grip size, angle and distance to the trigger.
Being a 45 year 1911 guy I am extremely comfortable with the grip angle/size, muscle memory firmly entrenched and other angles/sizes feel awkward to me.

"Point and shoot" depends on muscle memory and I have no interest in building muscle memory for a different angle or handgun that doesn't feel right in my hand when I don't need to.
Old November 20, 2017, 09:07 PM   #17
Rangerrich99

A few years ago a friend of mine came into possession of an old .22 target pistol that had weights that could be attached to the gun's barrel (underneath). The gun itself was already fairly heavy, butt adding weights to it made it even more barrel-heavy. Neither of us had any idea why the gun was so designed, and for giggles we decided to add all the weights to the gun's barrel. Interestingly, the extra weight seemed to nullify almost all the tiny movement associated with breathing, heart-beat, etc. It was almost as steady as if it were on a rest. Moving on . . .

In general, I can shoot nearly any pistol with some degree of acceptable accuracy, and other than excessive trigger reach, I have never paid a lot of attention to grip shape, angle, etc. Though I admit that I like certain shapes and angles betteer than others.

Just recently I picked up a brand-new S&W M&P9 2.0 with the four extra backstraps, and discovered that grip shape and size can actually make a significant difference in my POA vs. POI. For me, I found that with the small size I tended to hit lower than my POA. With the XL size, I tended to hit a couple inches high. I found that the med-large consistently gave me hits right about the top of the front sight. I should note that my POI wasn't even on my mind when I was trying out the different grips; I was focused on how they felt in my hand. My buddy pointed it out, and after a couple trials back and forth, I realized he was right.

Later, I experimented with some of my other guns, and found that pretty consistently my subcompact guns tended to hit lower than most of my full-size guns. Of course, this was all off-hand and was in no way scientific, so take it for what it's worth. However, my amateur experimenting has given me some food for thought to the point that I'm planning on putting Hogue slip-on grips on all of my smaller guns. YMMV.
Old November 20, 2017, 10:34 PM   #18
Mike38

In my experience, there's handguns that feel like a "club" and there's handguns that feel like an extension of your hand. I'll pick on two of my own for example. My Ruger 22/45 MkII. It shoots just fine, very reliable. Can't complain. But it feels like grasping a ... well ... I'm not sure, but it doesn't feel right. Then there's my Benelli MP95 with Nill grips. It just feels right. Balances perfectly. Points perfectly. Grips feel like sliding on an expensive pair of driving gloves. Even with the ambidextrous factory Benelli grips it felt good, but much better with the Nill grips. There is a High Master Precision Pistol shooter I know that let me shoot his Hammerli 208 with Rink grips. When I raised the pistol up from the bench, it felt like I could reach out and touch the target, 50 yards away. It felt fantastic. Grips and balance make a great pistol.
Old November 21, 2017, 12:25 AM   #19
Cirdan

Have to say I love my PX4. Feels great in my hand and I shoot it very well.

My G 19 doesn't feel anywhere near as comfortable. Yet I'm almost as accurate with it, as with the PX4.
Old November 21, 2017, 03:40 AM   #20
Danoobie

My experience has been the better a gun looks, and feels in my hand, the better I can
shoot it. It could be subconscious, or psychological, I just aim more carefully with a
gun I like better.
Old November 21, 2017, 06:59 AM   #21
Salmoneye

Quote:
Quote:
However, vanity wouldn't allow that.
That’s probably the most of it, lol.
Purdy is, as purdy does...
Old November 21, 2017, 07:53 AM   #22
NoSecondBest

Having shot handgun competition for many, many years (and shot it very well), I have never heard a really good handgun shooter tell me that they shot "gun A" better than "gun B" because it felt better in their hand. I have heard them say that one had a more comfortable grip or some such thing, but it didn't keep them from buying the one that felt less comfortable to use in competition. They just bought the one that they actually shot better regardless of the feel good factor. I have personally purchased several high end custom built handguns that I shot very, very well but never felt all that good to me. They were semi-auto and a good revolver always felt better to me. However, in the end the semi-auto produced better end results for the intended application.
Old November 21, 2017, 08:52 AM   #23
Areoflyer09

For me, feeling good in the hand means it fits well without needing me to hold it in ways that feel unnatural.

For the most part, feeling good in the hand effects my desire to shoot it more than how well I shoot it. I find the PPQ to be towards the top of the list for comfort for me, it just feels natural and I shoot them well. The P320 felt good as well, but it turns out that the rounder grip was comfortable but harder for me to keep a string of shots together. Glocks are the least comfortable and it would be more effective for me to throw it at the target. Could I learn to overcome the issues the 320 or Glocks? Probably, but why bother when the PPQ fills the same role without that need.

Last edited by Areoflyer09; November 21, 2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old November 21, 2017, 09:08 AM   #24
springer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
I have frequently seen that statement in regard to the handling characteristics of a handgun. My questions are: If a gun "feels good" does that always result in a more accurate gun? Can a gun that "does not feel good in the hand", like being barrel heavy actually be more conducive to accuracy than a gun that "feels good."
"feeling good in the hand" isn't a magic formula for accuracy AFAIC. Made the mistake of choosing a .22RF once 'cause it fit great in the hand. Problem was, it was a SIG Mosquito. What a piece of crap!
Old November 21, 2017, 10:50 AM   #25
kmw1954

An example, Model 19/66 S&W Feels very comfortable in my hand. Colt Trooper not so much. S&W Model 29 not at all.

Taurus PT92C Feels very good in my hand while the XD Mod2 not as much but I shoot the XD a bit better because at indoor ranges it has better sights and I can see them easier. Outdoors in daylight it is exactly the opposite.

I find compacts and sub-compacts that I can only get 2 fingers on the grip to be very uncomfortable. The same with many small square single stack grips.