The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2017, 05:44 PM   #1
308Loader

Hornady auto charge soiled the bed

Hello again all. was loading up some 223 plinking rounds when suddenly my auto charge s#!t the bed. Started up just fine, calibrated, set the charge weight... tossed 40 of 100 charges then wouldn't dispense any more charges. powered it down, unplugged it for a second and tried again. Setup was fine but still wouldn't dispense a charge. I did this 3 times then went back to my old lee powder measure to finish the lot. Any ideas? The thing isn't the greatest but works well when it isn't over trickling, its kind of convenient to have. Throw and weigh a charge while seating a bullet on the last case charged, saved some time on making range ammo. Further more this thing wasn't cheep ($). Thought id ask here before contacting Hornady, maybe you all have seen this problem?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old October 9, 2017, 05:47 PM   #2
1stmar

Have you tried manual mode and auto ?
Old October 9, 2017, 06:06 PM   #3
308Loader

yes, both are no-go. I'm re-reading the instructions tonight incase I missed something. Just odd it went from working well to poo, no intervention from me.
Old October 9, 2017, 06:12 PM   #4
1stmar

Won't find much there. You can try hanging it from normal to power mode by holding the dispense button down for 2 seconds. Wonder if the motor burned up. Have mine for probably 3 years. Love it. The only over charges I used to get was w 4064. Adjust the trickle start time to .6 and works well.

Good luck, let us know how you make out
Old October 9, 2017, 07:26 PM   #5
RC20

One trick I have if I want exact charges, is to figure out where it tends to, a bit over or under, then set it for under and reach in the tube with a tiny screw driver and pull a few grains out.

Bulk runs no, a then over or under is no issue but sometimes I am tuning in and have 3/10 below, on and 3/10 over. Then I like all of them to be spot on.

I would change the title to quit, failed, went south, zarked etc.
Old October 10, 2017, 05:38 PM   #6
308Loader

hornady auto charcge stoped working

how do I change the title, sorry if I offended anyone. s--t the bed is a common term for broken where I'm from. obviously I don't want to curse, so I haven't spelled out the s word.

Is their a factory reset on these like most programmable electronics?

Last edited by 308Loader; October 10, 2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old October 10, 2017, 06:11 PM   #7
hounddawg

Can you hear the motor running? The first RCBS I received straight from the box would you could hear the motor run but the tube turned sporadically and mostly not at all. I returned it of course and Midway sent me a new one.

I am not sure what connects the motor to the tube but on mine I suspect something in the coupling was messed up. If your motor is running and it is out of warranty might be worth a look see inside

Last edited by hounddawg; October 10, 2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old October 10, 2017, 06:18 PM   #8
308Loader

I here nothing. It just sits their like its waiting for an empty pan, or the word go.
Old October 10, 2017, 06:29 PM   #9
hounddawg

well that is in the electronics then, not just loose a screw. Call the factory, see what they recommend