The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 14, 2017, 01:40 PM   #1
TruthTellers

North American Arms... not garbage

Months ago I made a thread called "North American Arms = GARBAGE!" or something like that and in it I described an issue that kept occurring with a Minimaster I own.

I sent it back to NAA to have them fix it and I just wanted to update what I said because I don't want to badmouth a company that doesn't deserve it.

NAA fixed the gun, the hand spring and hand haven't been giving me any issues or failing to index the cylinder. Since I got it back, I've shot it a few hundred times with no problems related to the revolvers itself. I've had misfires with .22 Mag ammo, but that seems to be a common issue with .22 Mag in the gun; .22 LR never misfires in it.

And before you start projecting, yes I use the LR cylinder for shooting LR, the magnum cylinder for shooting magnum.

I had also scratched up the sideplate during my own attempts to fix the hand and hand spring issue. NAA buffed up the plate for free, so I was happy about that.

Now that the revolver is working properly, I've been able to focus on shooting it and when sitting at a table or surface, I've been able to repeatedly hit an 8 inch plate at 50 yards and off hand I can pop a cowboy steel plate target at the same distance.
Old October 14, 2017, 02:57 PM   #2
Carmady

I saw a youtube video comparing the velocities of 22LR and 22 Mag, both fired from NAA revolvers with 1 1/8" barrels. Iirc, the 22 Mag was about 170 fps faster, but not fast enough for the HP to expand.

Glad to hear yours is working well.
Old October 14, 2017, 03:15 PM   #3
TruthTellers

While this thread isn't about the velocity or effectiveness between .22 Mag and LR, I do tend to agree that in the smallest mini revolvers NAA makes, the 1.125 and 1.625 inch barrels, .22 LR is just as effective as .22 Mag will be considering the bullets will not be fast enough to expand. Also, the LR will be less noisy and recoiling and in such a small gun, I think that's preferable.

In a 2.5 to 4 inch barrel, I think .22 Mag with the premium short barrel ammo is the best that can be used.

And I'm also very glad my revolver is working.
Old October 14, 2017, 07:08 PM   #4
Chainsaw.

Lest it be commanded by the almighty it shall bare imperfection. How the manufacturer deals with those imperfections is the measure of said company. Some folks get all hung up on stuff like "the made a bad gun once blah blah blah 20 years ago blah blah Ill never give em a dime blah blah..."
Ignorant. We all make mistakes. Be decent enough to correct it well and Im a fan.
Old October 14, 2017, 07:16 PM   #5
TruthTellers

Quote:
We all make mistakes. Be decent enough to correct it well and Im a fan.
A fan of me or North American Arms?