The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 15, 2017, 09:04 PM   #1
MikeGoob

Quickly handling a 'rabid cat'?

Friend on facebook today was talking about her dog getting attacked by a 'feral cat' that sounded rabid to me [large housecat from the description]. It attacked a huge german shephard without fear, 'wild eyed', and at times playing dead (?), but relentlessly kept trying to fight everything.

It was a disaster attacking everyone and eventually the police had to be called.

Made me think how I would handle it if this happened in my own back yard--yet being in the suburbs of a large city where firing rounds is technically not allowed. I thought I would shoot it once with my SR22, quick and a lot more quiet than anything else I own. But would this do the job? I've heard people say things like Raccoons needing much bigger caliber...

How would you quickly handle that situation with the least 'public disturbance'?
Old September 15, 2017, 09:09 PM   #2
TunnelRat

I'd beat it with something that gives me distance. I'd rather not break the law and discharging a round at what is likely a moving animal that is also darting in and out around my own animal seems like a less than good idea.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 15, 2017, 09:38 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

A cat (even a rabid cat) is extremely unlikely to kill a decent sized dog or a person so you wouldn't want to respond in such a way as to put the people/pets you're defending in danger of losing their lives.

Shooting at a fast-moving, small critter that is fighting/attacking pets/people would be a good way to perforate things that are better left unperforated. It's also worth noting that virtually any type of solid projectile is going to go right through something the size of a cat so you would want to make very sure of having some sort of backstop that doesn't pose a ricochet danger.

My first choice would be to hit it with something. If that weren't an option, I'd probably kick or stomp it, shooting only as a last resort. I'd rather have to get rabies shots than to kill my own pet accidentally or have a ricochet injure or kill a person.
Old September 15, 2017, 09:40 PM   #4
TXAZ

We've had a few possum and like sized critters come into our back yard.

1) If available, take cover away from the critter, such as behind a closed house or car door.

2) If not and near the 2 watt laser pointer, see if that repels the critter. (seriously, these are pretty handy at chasing off critters)

3) If it's acting crazy or attacking a pet or person, look at a ballistic solution.

Above all, try not to be in that event.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 15, 2017, 09:59 PM   #5
CalmerThanYou

Steel shafted 7 Iron, nice smooth 3\4 swing should do it.
Old September 15, 2017, 10:34 PM   #6
MandolinMan

22LR is more than adequate for dispatching feral cats. But in the situation you describe, I think there might be better options.
Old September 15, 2017, 11:27 PM   #7
Sequins

I imagine the police shot it when they arrived, didn't they?
Old September 15, 2017, 11:35 PM   #8
NoSecondBest

Discharging a firearm in that situation might end up causing you to lose your guns. It's very probable the police will think it's not safe to allow you to keep them. It's not a responsible action to start shooting guns at cats in populated suburban areas. It's against all tenants of proper gun safety to shoot like that. Let the police or animal control do their job.
Old September 16, 2017, 02:51 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

Problem animals in my yard are handled by an "ancient" 26-inch-barreled .22 LR bolt action rifle, firing CB shorts.
All anyone might hear is striker/firing pin assembly smacking the case rim.

It's quieter than a pellet rifle, and quite effective.
To date, only cats have been felled by the "ancient" rifle.

Were I living within city limits (which I may or may not be), violation of the law would only be an infraction and a $65 fine....

Were I living in city limits, and had the police cite me for the violation, I might take the approach I once saw another person use:
"Only $65? Can I pre-pay for three more?"
Old September 16, 2017, 05:00 AM   #10
mrdaputer

Call the animal shelter
Old September 16, 2017, 06:50 AM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

First option, call animal control. Second option: air rifle. Third option: some bludgeoning instrument. I recognize the dangers of shooting in the city, so I'd have to be very sure of my backstop. If I have to discharge "a firearm within the city limits" to dispatch the critter . . . . it's an ordinance violation and I used to prosecute those. I'm willing to pay the $165 in fines and costs or to ask the judge for a "6 month pass to dismiss."

ETA: I had to edit this when coffee finally entered my system and I got to thinking straight.
Old September 16, 2017, 07:50 AM   #12
jetinteriorguy

To get close enough with a .22 handgun in order to insure a hit, would be close enough for a bat. That being said, I would stay back with a bat, but keep an eye on it to make sure no one gets near enough to get bit, while either calling animal control or having someone else call.
Old September 16, 2017, 07:59 AM   #13
ritepath

I've killed more feral cats than hillarys told lies with a 22. Every coon hunter I know carrys a 22. And if I had a dollar for every cow and hog shot between the eyes while I was growing up I could buy a dodge diesel.

That being said, right beside my front door is a 200 buck 22cal Stoeger air rifle. I take care of all the neighborhood nuisance critters with. (except bears I normally just yell at them to get off the porch)
Old September 16, 2017, 08:52 AM   #14
Hun Shooter

Use the can cannon, it's a signaling device, not a weapon according to the ATF. It can accelerate a soda can to 85mph

Old September 16, 2017, 09:13 AM   #15
ammo.crafter

meow

Interesting how you can approximate where the people are from by their respective responses.

Here in PA the only "pest" shooting restriction is from the local police who request that shotguns are used in populated areas rather than a single projectile weapon...ie a .22. So glad to be done with NJ!

That being said, a stiff broom, a garden hose, lemon juice, vinegar, etc works wonders without firing a shot.
Old September 16, 2017, 10:34 AM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammo.crafter
Interesting how you can approximate where the people are from by their respective responses.

Here in PA the only "pest" shooting restriction is from the local police who request that shotguns are used in populated areas rather than a single projectile weapon...ie a .22. So glad to be done with NJ!
That doesn't quite appear to be true. Even a cursory search on Municode turned up this from Kennett Township, PA:
Quote:
Firearms may be discharged on any property in Kennett Township, except as follows:

A. No discharge within 150 yards of any occupied residence, camp, industrial or commercial building, farm house or farm building, or school or playground without the written permission of the occupants thereof. It is a violation of this section to discharge a firearm into the 150-yard zone, even if the firearm is discharged outside of the 150-yard zone. This provision is adopted from the Pennsylvania "General Rules of Hunting Regulations" as a safety precaution to protect the health, safety and welfare of the general public. . . .

Kennett Township Code of Ordinances, Section 123-3
I didn't want to use Philadelphia as an example, but even relatively small communities, such as Kennett Township (population ~7500, according to Wikipedia) often have regulations regarding the discharge of firearms within their boundaries.
Old September 16, 2017, 12:25 PM   #17
T. O'Heir

A huge German Shepard is nothing to a feral cat. Mind you, most "feral cats" are not feral. They're house cats allowed to roam. Shooting one can get you sued at the very least.
"...kept trying to fight everything..." Is just one of the symptom of rabies in cats. However, if any cat has rabies, there are other local beasties infected too.
"...at times playing dead..." That indicates Kitty is just playing. Had a cat that would lay in front of the heat in my ma's kitchen waiting for our dumb dog to wander by. The cat would swing a paw up and across the dog's chops and take off down the hall with the dog right behind.
http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/...al/c_ct_rabies
Old September 16, 2017, 12:52 PM   #18
Pahoo

Tough situation

I too have trapped and dispatched a number of feral cats and in different ways. The scenario you have listed would be a challenge for anyone.

1) I would have used a Taser. Have found that even the sound gets their attention and then there are times when it won't so, you zap them. I have seen cats that don't have to have Rabies to be aggressive.

2) My city/country, allows me to use my Gamo pellet rifle and if it can bring down a Whistle-Pig at 20Yrds; then a cat should be no problem. Cats walk through my yard quite often and as long as they act being normal I let them pass.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; September 16, 2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old September 16, 2017, 01:07 PM   #19
disseminator

I recently had an incident with a strange acting possum, yes a possum, acting the fool to me and my neighbors and our dogs. When I noticed it dragging it's lower jaw across the front yard funneling dirt and rocks into it's mouth I decided I'd had enough of him.

I was on my way out so I just waited until he wandered into the driveways and let the ol GMC take care of him. I scooped up what was left with the shovel and fed him to the Coyotes.

Last edited by disseminator; September 16, 2017 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Spelling...
Old September 16, 2017, 01:15 PM   #20
ShootistPRS

If the cat is rabid, the only way to tell is an autopsy, it can spread the disease with a scratch. On the other hand a bite from a house cat can cause serious infection and even death, through blood poisoning, if left untreated. I happen to be allergic to the beautiful little critters so I stay away from them. They tend to help the snakes keep the mouse population under control so as long as they act normal I don't much care about them. I can use a low powered pellet gun to teach them my garden is not a litter box without any lasting injury. My dogs have always had the upper hand on pests like raccoons, opossums and stupid cats. I don't like to kill things that I don't plan to eat but I will make exceptions in some cases.
Old September 16, 2017, 01:54 PM   #21
JohnKSa
Staff

Moving to T & T.
Old September 16, 2017, 02:07 PM   #22
Deaf Smith

Nutzo cat? No problem.

Isn't it a 'shocking' Shockwave? Just use #6 birdshot fieldload.

Deaf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shock.jpg (41.9 KB, 529 views)
Old September 16, 2017, 02:10 PM   #23
FrankenMauser

Quote:
My city/country, allows me to use my Gamo pellet rifle and if it can bring down a Whistle-Pig at 20Yrds; then a cat should be no problem. Cats walk through my yard quite often and as long as they a being normal I let them pass.
In the two 'big' cities in this area, air rifles are treated the same as firearms, when it comes to discharging within city limits. So, if there's risk of a violation and fine, one might as well go with a rimfire (assuming there's a good backstop for either option, of course).

When I lived in the Salt Lake City area, one of my neighbors didn't want to use a pellet rifle or rimfire to take out problem animals, due to poor backstops and city ordinance. Though still prohibited, he opted for a 'weak' crossbow, instead.

I don't advocate violating local ordinance. But, sometimes, people choose to do so for various reasons (up to and including Animal Control refusing to do anything).
Old September 16, 2017, 02:15 PM   #24
JohnKSa
Staff

I live in a pretty small "rural suburb" where discharging an airgun inside city limits is a citable offense.

Prior to that, I lived in a city in a rural county of TX where discharging an airgun inside city limits was the identical offense to discharging a firearm inside city limits.

Laws don't have to make sense.
Old September 16, 2017, 02:56 PM   #25
oldbadger

Handling aggressive cats and/or dogs.

I understand that this will take some prior planning and prep. I was a youngster on a paper route that required the paper to be delivered onto the porch or into a container on the porch. Some people on the route had aggressive dogs that they refused to confine. I found that a small spray bottle filled with a bit of household ammonia in water, about half and half, was an extremely effective deterrent. I was only bitten once on that route, but never again after deploying the ammonia. Even the most aggressive dogs went into the back yard when i came around.
Just a tip....if you encounter a skunk in the daytime it is most likely rabid. Rabies is very common in skunks.