The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 9, 2014, 11:26 AM   #1
Jevyod

I can't decide what scope! Help

I have been thinking and researching for several weeks what scope to put on my newly acquired marlin 1895 in 45-70. I keep going back and forth, and am about driving myself nuts trying to pick one. Maybe you all can help me decide which one to get! I will probably just have to pick one, and be happy with it. Before I lay them out, I am not really looking at any other scope. I am on a tight budget, and these 2 seemed to be pretty good for the money.

The first one I am considering is the Leupold 1-4x20 Shotgun scope. The price is $219. What I like about this scope is it is shockproof, and has eye relief of 4.3-3.8. What I am not sure about is if I will like the heavy duplex. But it is a Leupold, and lifetime warranty etc.

The other one is a Nikon Monarch 3 also in 1-4X20. The price is $229.I believe this scope has a constant 4 inch eye relief. I really like the looks of the German #4 reticle. I From what I have heard, the glass quality on the Nikon may be a bit better.

I keep going back and forth on these 2. Some days I think the Leupold will be better. Since it is designed for a shotgun, it should certainly hold up to the recoil. If that Leupold had a different reticle, I think I could go for it. But I really am intrigued by the Monarch!
So any advice/personal experience with either? Any other scope in the same price range that would be better than either one of these? I hunt in the woods, where a shot less than 50 yards is common. There are some fields there, but I doubt I will shoot over 150 yards. I really like the looks of a small scope like that on a lever gun, plus it shouldn't throw the balance off too badly!
Old September 9, 2014, 04:16 PM   #2
Unlicensed Dremel

Well, either/or. But the heavy duplex is perfect for that rifle - that's a plus, not a minus.
Old September 9, 2014, 05:37 PM   #3
Jevyod

Does the heavy duplex not cover too much of the target at say 100 yards? The reason I ask is I do a lot of shooting paper at that distance.
Old September 9, 2014, 05:53 PM   #4
jmr40

I'd have already bought this

http://swfa.com/Leupold-1-4x20-VX-1-...pe-P51851.aspx

The heavy duplex is easy to see in low light, but tapers down right small. Not small enough for a long range varmint rilfe, but more than enough for your 45-70 @100 yards. This is what I use on my AR and would use on a lever if I scope one.
Old September 9, 2014, 06:01 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

That Leupold scope with what they call the "Turkey Reticle" would be fantastic for deer. My favorite deer reticle ever is the Bushnell Circle-X, which is essentially identical to Leupold's Turkey Reticle.
Old September 9, 2014, 07:03 PM   #6
ammo.crafter

Scope choice

Check out the Burris Scout Scope in 2 - 7x. I have one on my Marlin .444 and it has never failed. Get the heavy reticle for your woods rifle.

Which ever you choose, enjoy and good hunting.
Old September 9, 2014, 08:58 PM   #7
Nathan

You have narrowed to 2 good choices. . .
Old September 10, 2014, 09:02 AM   #8
AllenJ

If it were me and I got it down to those two choices, I'd go with the Leupold. I'd base that on the fact that while Nikon has a good reputation I have read reviews from users that were not good, including about their customer service/warranty repair. I have never seen a bad review about Leupold.
Old September 10, 2014, 11:17 AM   #9
Unlicensed Dremel

Quote:
The heavy duplex is easy to see in low light, but tapers down right small. Not small enough for a long range varmint rilfe, but more than enough for your 45-70 @100 yards. This is what I use on my AR and would use on a lever if I scope one.
+1, Precisely.
Old September 10, 2014, 03:18 PM   #10
Jevyod

Ok you all helped me decide! I just ordered the Leupold. Thanks for your advice! Now what rings should I get? It is the SBL so it has the rail. Can I get by with extra low?