The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 30, 2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Lavan

CCW where firearms are prohibited.

I'm talking about places that are not labeled or signed like parks. (not Federal offices as those are pretty specific)

My CCW mentions where I can NOT carry (bars if drinking, etc) but it doesn't mention a thing about places where either the promoter or the local cops have decided they don't want weapons.

Do local whims override the CCW?

I just discovered that the American River Bike Trail does not allow weapons but I've carried EVERY time I ride in the coyote and mugger region. (even one mountain lion killing a girl on a bike)

What's the scoop? Or is it up to LEO and straighten out in court?

Old June 30, 2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavan
Do local whims override the CCW?
I'll leave it to someone from California to fill in specifics, but you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a carry permit does. It allows you to carry a sidearm anywhere that you are not otherwise prohibited from doing so. I don't know whether or not California has state preemption, so I don't know if a local ordinance prohibiting firearms in [___] is valid, or is invalid due to state law. In my home state, we do NOT have preemption, so even though I can carry in the town or city hall of every surrounding municipality, my own home town has a local ordinance prohibiting possession of firearms on any town-owned property.

This is not a "local whim overriding the CCW." It is a case of the CCW does NOT override "local whim." My permit allows me to carry where not prohibited. My town prohibits carry on town property. End of discussion (unless I succeed in getting the ordinance repealed).

Any property owner may prohibit firearms on their property. Depending on the laws of each state, a sign notifying you of such may be all that's needed to get you arrested. In other states, a sign is a non-binding notice but of you are spotted and asked to leave by an authorized agent of the owner, failure to leave at that point would be trespass and cause for you to be arrested.
Old June 30, 2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Paul B.

I can only speak for AZ but IIRC, if the owner of a place of business does not want firearms on the premises, it must be posted with a sign of a certain size and prominently displayed. However, if no sign is displayed and the person in the business asks you to leave, it's a good idea to pack up and leave. If they call the cops you might be nailed fo criminal trespass. One situation where discretion is the better part of valor. I just politely tell them I'l go, tell them to post a sign as required by law and also that I'll never darken their door again. Only had to do that once. Too bad as the food was great.
Paul B.
Old June 30, 2013, 01:14 PM   #4
maestro pistolero

Quote:
Only had to do that once. Too bad as the food was great.
Paul B.
Paul B, I have to ask, how in the world did they know you were armed? In my 30 years of carrying concealed in every imaginable circumstance, I have never once been spotted or questioned.
Old June 30, 2013, 01:20 PM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

In Tx if there is a sign (that meets the state standard, as far as wording, and type size) that prohibits carry then one is commiting a Class B misdemenor of Tresspassing. If caught they will be served with a Criminal Tresspass Warning. It looks like a traffic ticket, and prohibits a person from returnng to that property. If they are then caught there again they will be arrested for the crime of Tresspassing.

There are other places that post signs that warn that the unlawful carrying of weapons on the premisis is a felony. If a person is caught carrying without a permit on those properties then they will be charged with the felony count of Unlawful Carry of a Weapon. That also includes other illegal weapons such as daggers, ballasongs(butterfly knives), brass knuckles, clubs, SAPs, other illegal blades, ect.

It is unlawful to carry into anywhere that charges admission in this state. That includes movie theaters, plays, theme parks, ect. Gun Shows that charge admission are places prohibited for one to carry at as well.

There are a few counties in Tx that prohibit carrying inside county buildings and court houses. Dallas county is one of them. There are others as well. Any city or county in the state can prohibit carry into thier buildings, they must post proper signs at all entrances.
Old June 30, 2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Lavan

Sounds a LOT like Taser time!

Stupid requirements for CCW, stupid liability for CCW, all adds up to time to reconsider whether it's worth it.

They can't even standardize the TRAINING for requals anymore.

One place is "shoot 30 shots and hit something" and the next place does varying distances, weak hand/strong hand, mag changes, etc.

I can ace ANY of em, but it's frustrating that nothing is consistent.

Practice hiding, I guess.
Old June 30, 2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Lavan

"Any city or county in the state can prohibit carry into thier buildings, they must post proper signs at all entrances."

The REALLY cool situation was the LAST time I renewed. Strangely, there is NO sign on the Sheriff's office where you have to re-up.

THIS YEAR, the desk questioned if I had any weapons.....but LAST time...NOBODY said a thing UNTIL we were going up the elevator.
At which time the accompanying cop asked if any of us were armed.
We weren't but he THEN said if anyone WAS, they would have been stripped of their CCWs and arrested.

Ain't that cool?
Old June 30, 2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Paul B.

"Paul B, I have to ask, how in the world did they know you were armed? In my 30 years of carrying concealed in every imaginable circumstance, I have never once been spotted or questioned."

I bumped into the counter when turning to get a table and the clunk when the gun hit gave it away. My bad. Clumsy me. Guy was super crappyabout it so I just left. Stuff happens.
Paul B.
Old July 2, 2013, 08:55 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

State laws & city/county ordinances....

It depends on your area's gun laws & ordinances.
In my state, a business owner or property can post a sign like NO GUNS or NO WEAPONS & if you carry you may be subject to trespass or could be arrested for criminal trespass if you refuse to leave.
Unless you are reckless or a bombastic jerk & cause a big problem, most employees or security officers would ignore you.
Id add that if behave like that often in public, then you should not own or carry firearms to start with.

Clyde F
Old July 2, 2013, 09:15 PM   #10
allaroundhunter

Re: CCW where firearms are prohibited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&p45acp10+1 View Post
It is unlawful to carry into anywhere that charges admission in this state [TX]. That includes movie theaters, plays, theme parks, ect. Gun Shows that charge admission are places prohibited for one to carry at as well.
Some of this is false. Movie theaters are not a prohibited place, nor are gun shows unless proper signage is posted. I'm not sure of the others, but my last CHL instructor explicitly said that these two events were not prohibited.

However, how about we try to stick with California laws here.