The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 20, 2012, 11:57 AM   #1
LeadZinger

Fair Price??

Anyone have any ideas on what a fair price for a Uberti Henry rifle, 24 inch octagonal barrel, blued, brass receiver, walnut buttstock with brass butt plate, in 45 Long Colt, would be? Manufacturing code is BL (1998), been fired but looks new, original box available but held together with tape, been stored in safe for over three years. An elderly mother is selling her son's (deceased) rifle and is asking $1400. I think that is to much, you can buy new for 1200 from most dealers/distributors. My problem is simple, I want the rifle and I want to help the women out, but the scotsman in me won't let me pay $1400. I have a $1000 in the back of my mind but just cannot decide if that is right offer. Appreciate any suggestions as to what the right price might be.
Old November 20, 2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Amsdorf

That's the precise model I've got my eyes on.

Something about the Henry....
Old November 20, 2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

$1400 is too high for a stock used rifle when you can get a NIB one for $1200. $1000 isn't unreasonable; but $800 - $900 would be more like it IMNSHO. (2011 Blue Book shows 100% condition value at $1150; 98% at $925; and 95% at $725)
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old November 20, 2012, 12:50 PM   #4
LeadZinger

Fair Price??

When the poor woman opened her son's gun safe after three years there were six pieces in it - modern shotguns and rifles (one a Marlin lever action) that just did not match the Henry. She knows nothing about guns but she did recognize that the Henry was something all together different than the rest and she decided it must be more valuable. Got to admit there IS something about the Henry....

Fingers - I think usually I to would price it at about $800, offer less and negociate up some, but I think the lady could use the money and I have some sympathy for her having lost her son to a drunk driver while stopped at a light. Unfortunately at this time of year my bank acount does not match the season of giving nor my level of sympathy. Have to find a way to put us both in a win-win situation.
Old November 20, 2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

IMO, learning the true value, trying to educate her on it and making a fair offer would be win-win.
The only way she loses is if someone "steals" it for a lowball offer.
Sympathy might cause me to mow her lawn, cook her some dinners or help her shop but giving her extra money for a gun is unrelated, IMO.
Old November 20, 2012, 02:09 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

What Brian suggested. Show her the prices online (the education part) and offer her $1k.
Old November 20, 2012, 04:13 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

I agree with Brian . . . some pretty good advice. If you don't have the $$ . . . and she can't sell it at her price which seems way above what the value is . . . at some point, someone will sneak in and lowball her and it will be gone as she will tire of waiting. I think it's better to educate her on the true value and perhaps if you don't have the $$ right now, you could write up an agreement with her (to protect her and you) - make a deposit and pay her off over a few months.

I got in to a position of helping a widow out of a friend of mine a number of years ago - she had some nice military muskets but needed to dispose of them for money that she was lacking. I tried to get the most out of them that I could even though I wanted several but didn't have the $$ at the time myself. Another guy, who knew her husband, ended up convincing her that they weren't worth much and she ended up selling them to him at about 25 cents on the dollar. She needed the $$ and saw an opportunity to get some, even though I could have liquidated them in a couple of weeks at their true value and was working on several sales to some collectors I knew. I was ticked as she was really taken advantage of. Had I known what she was going to do, I could have given her the same amount of $$ the buyer paid her and then made installments over a couple of months until they were paid off.

Good luck . . . hopefully you csn work something out with the lady that is fair to both of you.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 20, 2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadzinger
Fingers - I think usually I to would price it at about $800, offer less and negociate up some, but I think the lady could use the money and I have some sympathy for her having lost her son to a drunk driver while stopped at a light. Unfortunately at this time of year my bank acount does not match the season of giving nor my level of sympathy. Have to find a way to put us both in a win-win situation.
Given that, I agree with Brian and 4V50. Eduacte her, then offer a grand. Like I said, It's not an unreasonable price.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old November 20, 2012, 10:32 PM   #9
bushmaster65

I'd like to point out the obvious here if I may.

Leadzinger, you're a good man. You were raised well.

The very fact that you cannot knowingly take advantage
of this person speaks volumes about your character.

My salute to you sir.