The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 9, 2011, 12:45 PM   #26
MJ45

Excellent awareness, not easy when you have youngsters to take care of.
Old September 9, 2011, 12:46 PM   #27
Skadoosh

Quote:
Skadoosh, I'd tend to agree with your analysis, but it ain't my call to make.
Does your wife actually understand that by her filing a report, such could potentially be saving someone else's life in the future and that perhaps she needs to get over her prior experience and do the right thing?
Old September 9, 2011, 12:57 PM   #28
Polynikes

Quote:
Does your wife actually understand that by her filing a report, such could potentially be saving someone else's life in the future and that perhaps she needs to get over her prior experience and do the right thing?
Believe me when I say from experience, nothing beneficial ever comes from advising a woman to just "get over" something.

On a more serious note though, we sat down together, I explained to her what I would do in her situation and why I would do it. She acknowledged what I said. The ball is now in her proverbial court and I'll support her decision either way, regardless of whether her point of view agrees with mine.
Old September 9, 2011, 12:59 PM   #29
Stressfire

I agree that it should be reported as soon as possible. That being said, however, I can also understand a reluctance on the part of your wife to repeat an unpleasant experience.

As you stated, Polynikes, it's not your call to make. Best to provide support and hope she comes around on her own
Old September 9, 2011, 01:02 PM   #30
Skadoosh

Quote:
Believe me when I say from experience, nothing beneficial ever comes from advising a woman to just "get over" something.
After twenty two years of marriage to the same woman, I know that sometimes it just has to be said.
Old September 9, 2011, 01:08 PM   #31
threegun

Guys I shared this incident with my wife. She listened intensely because it happened to a woman something she rarely does. She has her permit but hasn't begun to carry daily because of her job, a public school teacher. She can't even have a firearm in her car while at work. So now she wants to carry worst than ever but simply cannot due to this circumstance.

Thank you for this story as it has fired my wife up like no other to date.
Old September 9, 2011, 01:11 PM   #32
Ronbert

When I said "can't do anything about it" I was referring to the road rage reporting experience which wasn't very satisfactory.

I hear this nearly every day as I spend several hours commuting every day for almost a decade listening to the Colo State Patrol on my scanner. "white car speeding on Hwy <> no plate, no driver description, vehicle turned off at exit xxx" -- I can hear it in their voices as they respond on the radio. On the other hand, with a good description, an RP following, and the officer on the route the knothead is driving - they're all over it. And I'm glad they are.

But there are so many road rage incidents every dayI don't think they are even logging the license plates reported in any kind of database. Hence my comment.

(The alternate explanation for the OP's wife's experience is likely to be even less acceptable. )

I agree that it might be best to try to report the *style* of attempted robbery even if the "male and female in a black sedan at Wal-Mart" doesn't give much to go on. A license plate on that black sedan would mean a LOT more.

But...... I'm just a guy on the internet. (as are we all)
Old September 9, 2011, 01:23 PM   #33
Polynikes

Without going into aggressive detail, the "road rage" incident that really put my wife off to police involvement was not a random driver. In that situation, my wife provided the police with vehicle make, model, plate, description of the driver, including name and they still did nothing. The driver of that vehicle was an ex-gf of mine with a vendetta. I think she's just of the opinion that if they didn't do anything with that much information, they're certainly not going to do anything if she reports a "Latino male and Caucasian female in a black sedan." I'm not sure how well she can describe the two individuals, but she didn't get a vehicle plate. The security cameras at Wal-Mart may be another story though.

I'm not attempting to justify not reporting the incident, just stating that I can see where she's coming from.
Old September 9, 2011, 01:50 PM   #34
Skadoosh

Quote:
I'm not attempting to justify not reporting the incident, just stating that I can see where she's coming from.
Your description of a very well planned and coordinated run up to a possible armed robbery or kidnapping incident is very different from a common road rage incident....I assure you the police will definitely be very interested in hearing about this incident.
Old September 9, 2011, 01:52 PM   #35
MLeake

And, the longer your wife waits, the greater the odds that any videotape Wal-Mart might have will be recorded over.

I understand that you can't make her do something she's not willing to do, but does she understand that her hesitation may cost critical evidence?
Old September 9, 2011, 02:17 PM   #36
TLeo

I would encourage her to call the police anyway. It's very likely no written report will actually be made in this situation, not because they don't care or want to be bothered, but because no crime was actually commited. (being planned yes, but not commited yet). However, as another poster pointed out they can make special note of a description about the two people and their car and the incident and use it to be on the lookout for any further activity of this type or see if this has happened before. It would be helpful to them in any case. If they are similar to my dept., we would take notes about the incident and then make a memo for the CID and rest of the patrol division to BOLO for the two people and car.
Old September 9, 2011, 02:28 PM   #37
Polynikes

Quote:
Your description of a very well planned and coordinated run up to a possible armed robbery or kidnapping incident is very different from a common road rage incident....I assure you the police will definitely be very interested in hearing about this incident.
You don't have to assure me of anything. I'm of the same opinion, though I do appreciate your reiteration. I'll have her read through all the comments here tonight and see if she can be further swayed.

Last edited by Polynikes; September 9, 2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old September 9, 2011, 02:33 PM   #38
kilimanjaro

Your wife did a good job. But, no job is complete until the paperwork is done, to use the old joke. If your wife is reluctant to report to the police, you do it, even if you have to sleep on the couch for a month. We have an obligation to our community a little bit bigger than our personal feelings.

The reason we were granted CCW permits was not to protect our own persons, but to enlarge the police presence in our communities, using law-abiding citizens.

For all you know, robber and robber's boyfriend went home and bought some street guns, in case their next victim is also packing....
Old September 9, 2011, 03:35 PM   #39
Moosehead24

With all due to respect to your wife, look she has the guts to CCW, stare down some bad guys and protect herself and kids (great)....but not to call the police!

Like others have posted, what if they go off and hurt someone else?? Your wife has a duty as a citizen to report the incident.

Last edited by JohnKSa; September 9, 2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: ..
Old September 9, 2011, 03:39 PM   #40
aarondhgraham

Helo Moosehead24,,,

Fairly inflammatory first post my friend,,,
I suggest you might edit that post to be a little less harsh on the man's wife.

You might have typed the words,,,
But you showed no due respect.

Just a suggestion.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 9, 2011, 03:48 PM   #41
Moosehead24

Friend....What if these goons go after your family next? You still gonna feel the same way? Dont think so. Harsh??? All I'm asking is for her to call the darn police. Thats harsh???
Old September 9, 2011, 03:51 PM   #42
Stressfire

Beat me to it aarond

That was a little....blunt. It is ultimately her decision to report it or not.

And no amount of browbeating is going to change that.
Old September 9, 2011, 04:00 PM   #43
maxman894

A little blunt? Very blunt, and disrespectful to Polynikes and his wife. She did a great job doing what she did. Maybe she should've called the police, but I understand why she didn't. Your feelings could've been expressed a lot more different, moosehead. A lot more respectful towards his wife.
Old September 9, 2011, 04:02 PM   #44
Moosehead24

Ok, lets see....next we see on the news a lady is beatin and her kids kidnapped from lets say a Target parking lot....what are you guys going to think then? Hmmmm, maybe this could have all been avoided had a citizen just picked up the phone and called the police. Its not browbeating, it called doing the right thing! Need to stop thinking about ourselves folks.

Last edited by JohnKSa; September 9, 2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: ..
Old September 9, 2011, 04:09 PM   #45
Hiker 1

Call the cops and say what?

"A woman was walking toward me and a guy yelled out "Yo, she's not one to *explicative* with."

What is that? Felony use of bad grammar?
Old September 9, 2011, 04:11 PM   #46
maxman894

If I'm high, then most of TFL must be, and you must be the only supposed "drug-free" person on here. I understand your concern and your views. But the point is, there are ways to inform people of your views without yelling and ranting and more or less calling Mrs. Polynikes an idiot. And like Stressfire said, its ultimately her decision to make, and no one can change that. It's one thing to express your opinion, but it doesn't need to be done in a bashing and rude manner like was done. And also, where did you ever come up with the "thinking about ourselves" thing? I haven't seen a single post on here that would even make me begin to think that the members of this forum that have posted on this thread are "thinking about themselves". Ill get off my soap box now, before I get kicked off TFL. Sorry to the mods, but this really ticked me off.

Edit: I'm not trying to say she shouldnt've called the police. I believe she should have, but its her decision to make, and no one else can make it for her.

Last edited by maxman894; September 9, 2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old September 9, 2011, 04:14 PM   #47
Skadoosh

Quote:
Call the cops and say what?

"A woman was walking toward me and a guy yelled out "Yo, she's not one to *explicative* with."

What is that? Felony use of bad grammar?

Are you saying that you think this incident was actually a misunderstanding and shouldn't be reported to the police?
Old September 9, 2011, 04:14 PM   #48
Moosehead24

Really? lets see, she knew they type of car....maybe the color, possibly the licence number....anything that help the cops. I cant believe I am trying to convince you guys to call the cops??? What kind of forum is this?

Imagine how many crimes could have been prevented if folks would just pick up the phone and take a couple minutes out of thier busy schedules and call the police? Really......what is there to loose?

BTW, when you dont call the police in what would help others because "we" dont want to....that is not thinking of others, but thinking only of ourselvs.

Last edited by Moosehead24; September 9, 2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old September 9, 2011, 04:18 PM   #49
Hiker 1

Are you saying that you think this incident was actually a misunderstanding and shouldn't be reported to the police?

Far from it. I think she did great. What I'm pointing out to the new "gentleman" on the forum is that there isn't much to report.
Old September 9, 2011, 04:21 PM   #50
Moosehead24

Nothing to report?....maybe we should let the cops decide. They may have other pieces of the puzzel we dont have.
Closed Thread