The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 21, 2011, 08:23 PM   #1
flashhole

Are you ready for deer season?

My local range year runs Sept 1 - Aug 31. Each year I try and get my guns ready at the end of August in case I don't get a chance to renew my dues in a timel manner.

45-70, 7mm Rem Mag and 25-06 are in perfect shooting condition with more than adequate ammo to support this hunting season. Temperatures have been a bit on the cool side for August and early morning range sessions have paid dividends with load development. Now where is Buckzilla?

This guy was in my orchard two years ago shaking apples from the trees with his antlers. My wife took the picture with her cell phone.

She took this picture last year from the front porch.

These photos should make you drool.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old August 21, 2011, 09:07 PM   #2
BIG P

Heck yes, hundreds of rounds fired from field pos. Ranges flags on power lines & cut overs out to 1000 yds.Hand loads ready & tested Scopes,rifles dead on 300win mag,270win,25-06 READY to rock let the season begin
GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!
Old August 21, 2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Catfishman

I'm never completely prepared but I'm READY!

A nice 8 point during halftime helped me deal with my Saints playoff loss last year.
Old August 22, 2011, 01:27 AM   #4
ShawnC

Can't make it out this year. My .444 is gonna have to sit this season out until next year.

"There is no problem in this country that can't be fixed by cutting the part of government that caused it."
Old August 22, 2011, 08:22 AM   #5
JACK308

I'M READY! my 308 is ok it will kill a deer like it is now!I just need to TIGHTEN up the group and use a different weight bullet and charge.
Old August 22, 2011, 08:56 AM   #6
tynimiller

Big P....1000 yards really? Man, I've never shot a deer over 50 +/- yards Although partly due to I am a bow hunter primarily. I'm ready though, been ready. Bow is sighted in, M/L is ready if I do any firearm hunting. Just hoping idiot neighbors don't blow my season, as we'e got a 160+ buck on film numerous times...finger's crossed!
Old August 22, 2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Saltydog235

I'm ready. 10 days and counting. Stands are cleared and set up, corn has been put out for a month in some places, shooting lanes are pruned and mowed and my four rifles I plan on using are zeroed with plenty of handloads ready. Some counties in the state are already in season and I've seen pics of some nice swamp bucks being taken. I'm looking forward to it.