The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 11, 2012, 09:07 PM   #1
Bob Wright

My first .44 Special

In the late summer of 1954 I had earned the $32.95 to order my Colt .45 New Service by mail order. My gun was a commercial New Service, once a .455 Eley from the Royal Northwest Mounted Police. I began building it into a custom .44 Special:

I had a new cylinder installed, along with a .44-40 barrel I scraped up. I couldn't find a local gunsmith to install the S&W rear sight, so took it to a local machine shop along with a drawing I had made. I ordered a Micro ramp and a Patridge blade and had a 'smith install this. Then had the gun blued, added an Ace trigger shoe, and whittled out a pair of walnut grips. By the time I had done all of this, the .44 Magnum was introduced. But I kept the gun until 1971, when it was among several stolen from a gunshop.

Bob Wright
Old December 11, 2012, 09:08 PM   #2
GeauxTide

Amazing.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:05 PM   #3
drail

Now that is a real gun.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:00 AM   #4
BLUETIP

Splendid, just simply splendid as always Bob. Nice whittling on those grips!!
Old December 12, 2012, 06:43 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

The great thing about that gun?

You could use the front sight as scaffolding when you wanted to paint your house...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 12, 2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Bob Wright

Mike,

I no longer have that gun, but I've installed vinyl siding, so painting is out for me. Besides my wife will no longer let me climb.

Bob Wright
Old December 12, 2012, 06:31 PM   #7
Ozzieman

Bob, sounds like you’re as crazzzy as I am for the 44 special.
This was a 28 turned into a 44 special with a 3 inch Douglass barrel back in 1974.
One sad point of your story,,, 1954 was the year I was born, and I am still an old FART

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:06 PM   #8
DFrame

I love the gun. I'm one of those crazy 44 people too. But Ozzieman is making me feel old. Suffice it to say I was ALREADY around when He was born.
Old December 13, 2012, 08:11 AM   #9
Bob Wright

For whatever its worth, I had a very nice M1917 Colt that I had planned on making into a similar conversion, but a 4" heavy barrel with maybe a full length rib, but a military collector talked me out of that.

Bob Wright
Old December 13, 2012, 01:09 PM   #10
DFrame

I'd love to find an old New Service that I could convert into a 3 inch snub. Saw one at a show a couple years back and have been kicking myself ever since for not buying it. Beautiful gun in 45 acp. Barrel was shortened to 3 inches, front sight had been skillfully replaced, handsome wood stocks and nickeled. SIGH.....................!
Old January 1, 2013, 02:03 AM   #11
El Bango

That's a nice piece of work Bob,most folks now are merely content to pay their money and be happy with whatever the wizards at the factories and gun writers tell them to be happy with and next year we'll think up some new whizbang to part you from some more of your hard earned frog hides.Sorry some unused bullet trap stole your shooter,maybe someone on here will see it at a gunshow and let you know,stranger things have happened.Michael