The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 18, 2019, 09:21 PM   #26
TailGator

I enjoy a variety and have a limited budget, so I don't duplicate pistols. The only exception is his and hers Sig P238s. My wife chose it for her primary carry pistol, and a few months later she got me one so I would leave hers alone.
Old January 18, 2019, 09:48 PM   #27
FITASC

Quote:
I'm carrying a 1911 + 2 spare mags + pocket gun in "summer attire" while walking my buddy; we walked 2-3 miles every day (as usual) on the trip.
With a dog like that, why all the firepower?

As to having a dupe, I like my 2 HK P7s
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 19, 2019, 02:47 AM   #28
Sevens

It was November of 2015 when after years of successfully talking myself out of one... I finally came to my senses and bought a Smith & Wesson Model 52-2. Five days later was Thanksgiving and that meant range day and after nearly 30 years of shooting and owning guns, I finally sent my first .38 Wadcutters from a Model 52 down range.

I remember that day specifically and more than anything, I remember my very first thoughts. "This model is no longer in production and I was nuts to wait this long to get one. And I need another one NOW, not some day, not eventually, not soon, but now. I need to buy at least one more of these now."

It took me four and a half months to get a second Model 52.
Old January 19, 2019, 04:29 AM   #29
Rob228

I bought two SIG 938s on the same day at the same time, one went to my wife, but they are identical. Other than that my only "duplicate" is actually my triplicate Remington 870s, but they are all in different configurations.
Old January 19, 2019, 05:38 AM   #30
TruthTellers

I have two LCP's, a Gen 2 and a Custom. Got the Custom new when I found out they were being discontinued, got the Gen 2 used cuz it came with 7 mags, so now I have 9 LCP mags in total. I figured for the mags the price of the LCP was worth it, it also let me try out a different version of LCP and in case something goes wrong with either or if I had to use one for self defense and it gets taken for "evidence" I'll have another. Could also let someone borrow one in case they're in need of a gun.

Generally if I have a pistol, I also have a rifle in the same caliber, maybe even magazines. I've got my subcompact Glock that can use the same mags for the full size, the Sub 2000 in Glock mags, 9mm AR in Glock mags.

If I have a rifle, I generally will have a second rifle in the same chambering, but unless it is an AR, it'll either be a break action or bolt action. One reason I love that Ruger and Mossberg have bolt actions that use AR mags.

One handgun I've thought about getting two of is the Hi Point. Price is partly a reason, but it's also I just think with the weight of them, they'd be a lot of fun to dual wield and the recoil would be soaked up a bit. Could also see why someone would want to own multiple NAA mini revolvers for NY reloads.

Last edited by TruthTellers; January 19, 2019 at 05:45 AM.
Old January 19, 2019, 06:42 AM   #31
Mobuck

I follow this guidance " 2 is 1 and 1 is none".

I own at least two of anything I may have to depend on.
Old January 19, 2019, 08:04 AM   #32
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
With a dog like that, why all the firepower?
GSD is still a pup, only 8 months old in pic.

The "firepower" is representative what I normally carry whether going to the store, or our regular walk:

Not always a 1911, I've been back & forth with 1911 or Glock 20/21 or Glock 35/41
Longer slides are more comfortable for me, distribute pressure down the slide whereas shorter slides (Glock 23) tend to dig in at the muzzle.
I'm currently back to the Glock 35/41 again; if carrying a Glock I just carry one spare mag.
Two mags carried opposite side of a 1911 helps balance the weight if nothing else.

My carry philosophy is carry the pistol (of the ones you own) that you would prefer to have in your hand if you had to defend yourself, a 1911 or Glock 41 satisfies that criteria.
I can't put my hand on whatever pistol IWB without revealing I'm carrying, sometimes it is comforting to be able to do so, that is one reason for the pocket gun. Also, by carrying the pocket gun in weak hand front pocket I increase my odds should something happen to my dominant hand. If one only had a pocket gun, very unlikely they could quickly draw with the other hand. Also, carrying only a pocket gun fails to meet my initial criteria of having something I'd prefer in my hand if I had to defend my life, I'd rather have a full size pistol and carry accordingly.

Mercifully pictured wearing a t-shirt, in hot weather make it a thin tank with loose untucked cover shirt and Glock 35/41 conceals easily.

Old January 19, 2019, 08:11 AM   #33
FITASC

Even at 8 months, he would be intimidating to anyone approaching or give you a warning allowing you to get to your gun if need be.
I have a new puppy; adopted at 4 months, now 6; everyone smiles and waves in my small town but she does make certain folks cross the street as we walk down. (Of course, she'd just lick them or want to play, but they don't know that)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 19, 2019, 08:32 AM   #34
TBM900

Quote:
think for common guns, it doesn't make sense to get a duplicate. You can always get another if you want. Less common guns can be considered an investment, or insurance if your first copy gets lost, stolen, or severely damaged

It depends on your version of ‘making sense’.

To me it makes sense to have at least two of each of my most carried/used firearms for several reasons. As I mentioned earlier, I want my carry weapon to be clean, serviceable, and with low round count. I can beat the ever loving piss out of my ‘trainer’ and NEVER have to worry about what I’m carrying. Doing such is also great as I can explore the durability limits, again without worry.

Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Time is also a factor.
I can practice whenever I like with the ‘trainer’ and not have to make time to get it squared away for carry. I love being able to shoot whenever I want without automatically having to budget cleaning time, especially when I’m out on the range 2-3 times a week. Instead, if I have some down time, I can CHOOSE to fill it with cleaning, or go on a hike instead....lol
Old January 19, 2019, 12:40 PM   #35
CDW4ME

Quote:
Even at 8 months, he would be intimidating to anyone approaching or give you a warning allowing you to get to your gun if need be.
I have a new puppy; adopted at 4 months, now 6; everyone smiles and waves in my small town but she does make certain folks cross the street as we walk down. (Of course, she'd just lick them or want to play, but they don't know that)
He may look intimidating, in reality he is still a big baby.
What kind of dog you got?

Related to thread topic: These aint exact duplicates, but similar enough; I got the Glock 35 first & loved it, soft shooting, eventually got the Glock 41.
15 + 1 of 40 S&W or 13 + 1 of 45 acp hard to go wrong with either.

Old January 19, 2019, 02:44 PM   #36
gbclarkson

I had a ridiculous friend that watched too many movies and bought two sig 229s so he could fire both at the same time à la Denzel Washington's character in Training Day.
Old January 19, 2019, 02:50 PM   #37
bac1023

I love duplicates...

Old January 19, 2019, 02:51 PM   #38
bac1023

Old January 19, 2019, 02:56 PM   #39
bac1023

Old January 19, 2019, 05:41 PM   #40
Bill DeShivs

I have duplicates, triplicates, even 4 of models I like.
Old January 19, 2019, 07:42 PM   #41
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
So you have a gun, or two, you really, really like..And you are lucky enough to shoot them a LOT...does anybody buy a duplicate/spare..'just in case'??

I really like my Glock 42..shoot it a lot(like about 3500 rounds so far, a little over a year)..no issue, no problems but I also carry it everyday..should I get a spare?
I have some duplicates. Not exact duplicates, but functional ones, that share holsters, magazines, etc.

2 .38 snubbies, 2 XD40-s. Oh, yeah, and 2 XDS-s

If some problem crops up with one, I can switch to the other until it's resolved.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 19, 2019, 07:49 PM   #42
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I love duplicates...

I'm sitting here trying to figure out what revolvers those are. Nothing familiar to me.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 19, 2019, 08:10 PM   #43
bac1023

Quote:
I'm sitting here trying to figure out what revolvers those are. Nothing familiar to me.
http://www.themodernsurvivalist.com/archives/5608
Old January 19, 2019, 08:19 PM   #44
FITASC

Quote:
He may look intimidating, in reality he is still a big baby.
What kind of dog you got?
She's 6 month and just started barking at strange sounds; she's adopted (we got her 2 months ago on Turkey Day) and all we know she is half hound and half Lab - but we do not know what type of either. Supposedly, her sister looked more like a chocolate, but is a perfect shade of light brown (perfect as in it never shows how dirty she is until she rolls on the carpet!)
Old January 19, 2019, 10:31 PM   #45
rclark

Just one 'true' duplicate. Two SS Ruger Old Army Revolvers.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 19, 2019, 10:35 PM   #46
pete2

I have 2 642 revolvers, 2 4" L frames, a 586 and a 686, 3 Commanders, 6 5" 1911 guns, 2 High Standard target pistols, 3 10/22 rifles. 2 ARs.
Old January 19, 2019, 10:42 PM   #47
BillW

My baby is a ten year old Mastiff. She only weighs 110 pounds, so she is a smaller girl, but she does okay!
Old January 20, 2019, 01:03 AM   #48
Omaha-BeenGlockin

More than one and sometimes more than more than one:
10/22
P95
G19
Colt AR
Shield
-------Metallica
Old January 20, 2019, 04:04 AM   #49
hemiram

I have some dupes. Only guns I really like get bought again while I still have the original.

I have 3 Taurus PT111 G2's. One is in the box, unfired, one is stock fired a lot, and the other is fired about 2X as much as the other one, with upgraded sights and striker, etc.
I have 2 Dan Wesson .357's, a 715 and a 15-2.
I have three Tanfoglio TA-88's, all Israeli surplus guns, the "Mossad" full sized is probably my favorite gun of all I own.
I have 2 Sig P226's, one is an ex-NYPD DAO gun converted by me to DA/SA, the other is a brand new P226 SSE. I haven't shot it yet, but it seems very nice.
Old January 20, 2019, 06:43 AM   #50
jmr40

One is none, two is one.

When I was younger I experimented with a bunch of different guns, rifles, shotguns, and handguns. At this point in my life I know what works best for me and what I like. I've gotten rid of those I don't like and would much rather have multiples of those I do like.

Winston Churchill