The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old November 24, 2004, 09:20 PM   #26
Jeff Gonzales

Without getting into a debate

The last thing I will leave you guys with is a 9mm might expand, but a 45 doesn't shrink.

Get the hits, the rest is academics.

Later,
Old June 3, 2010, 06:14 PM   #27
Cheshire

Your gun and your rounds

I've shot thousands of Winclean 45 with no issues. Guess my gun handles them just fine. Here is a question - I've heard police officers load HP, JHP, HP, etc. specifically because they can't count on a JHP penetrating a door, down coat, etc. Home defense I can see why you would not want to. For conceal carry in the city, I think I would.
Old June 3, 2010, 08:14 PM   #28
nefprotector

good enough if you cant find anything else.
Old June 3, 2010, 11:02 PM   #29
cje1980

Cheshire, your post makes absolutely no sense. Sorry dude. A HP is the same thing as a JHP. Did you mean JHP, FMJ, JHP, FMJ? You better think again if you don't believe any round from a service pistol will penetrate a door or down coat. Actually the cavity in inferior JHPs tend to fill up and they tend to behave just like FMJ. High quality JHPs penetrate most barriers well and perform well on the intended target.

JHP loads in the 45 ACP perform just fine. Actually the concern is that the slow velocity will prevent them expanding. The result would be overpenetration not shallow penetration. Some people just don't understand ballistics. Heavy and slow projectiles tend to penetrate more than lighter and faster projectiles. Just about every 45 ACP defense load I've seen tested has performed really well except the really lightweight 165 and 185 loads.

For example, I bet most people don't know that at close range, rifles like 308 Win, 223 Rem, and 30-30 penetrate about the same as common SD pistol rounds in soft targets. After penetrating barriers pistol rounds will actually penetrate more than rifle rounds in soft targets. But everybody and their Mom thinks that rifles shouldn't be used for home defense because they overpenetrate.
Old June 3, 2010, 11:25 PM   #30
(BH)

Quote:
Here is a question
And here's a question for you....

Why are you debating in a six year old thread?

It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.
-Samuel Johnson
Old June 4, 2010, 12:04 AM   #31
Lokpyrite

I've never heard anyone worry about flesh penetration in a 45 jhp. Sure it's not the best for shooting through a car windshield but it'll sure as hell go through some drywall that the BG's hiding behind.
Old June 4, 2010, 09:57 AM   #32
Glenn E. Meyer

Not doing a zombie thread or another mixed magazine thread - there's already one of those running.

Closed.