The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 5, 2019, 08:29 PM   #1
JDBerg

Guns We Regret Parting With, Glad We Parted With, Glad We Almost Parted With But Are Glad We Kept

My biggest regret is the S&W Model 27-2 that I bought back when they were cheap, and now that I want another one these are going for crazy money.

The 2 that I’m glad I parted with are the .40 S&W Gen4 22 and the Tutone CZ 75B

The one I almost traded off for nothing but am glad I didn’t is the Gen3 17, that gun only needed WC Vickers Elite sights and an APEX Enhanced Trigger package, and it’s now one of my favs.

Your Turn
Old December 5, 2019, 08:43 PM   #2
FITASC

Parted and regretted- Ruger No.1 RSI in .243; Marlin 39A, 1907 Swede 6.5x55, Ithaca M37

Parted with no regrets - Ruger 10/22, CMP Garand, Browning 26" O/U

Almost got rid of-Rem Model 7 in 7-08
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 5, 2019, 08:55 PM   #3
Longhorn1986

I almost traded off a 3rd Gen S&W Model 457. Darned good shooter and more reliable than a Swiss watch. It'll eat any ammo I feed it with no hiccups.
Old December 5, 2019, 09:44 PM   #4
Skippy

Lately I've been thinking I wish I had my Walther ppk/s back. Traded for a P22 after Walther replaced the slide after the decocker block cracked. No problems at all with the P22 except it simply doesn't have the character of the ppk/s.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old December 5, 2019, 09:47 PM   #5
dyl

Parted with no regrets:

Zastava EZ9 - worked fine, but the lack of spare parts availability spooked me. Now I have a "real" P226. Single action trigger was good if I remember, and had an interesting combined slide release + decocker.

Police Trade-in Glock 22 Gen 3 - no problems, but was redundant for me. It was my first Glock, and learned from it. I also learned I liked Gen 4 frames a bit better to fit my hand. I have since bought a Gen 3 frame again for use in another project.
Old December 6, 2019, 12:30 AM   #6
Brian Williams

Believe it or not, a Taurus 450 in 45 Colt. It would have been a great gun with a 3 inch barrel but it was a 4 inch with porting. It fit in a S&W K frame holster and carried 5 rounds. The trigger worked well and the fit was very good, the finish was mid grade but it was a great gun, sold it to fund something else. IIRC it is defending some guy in a wheelchair.

Not sure I regret selling but the replacement is great; a Ruger competition model MkII that was replaced by a Colt Woodsman. That Woodsman is a great gun, much better than any MkII
Old December 6, 2019, 12:45 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

I've probably done more "gittn rid of" rifles and shotgun than handguns, but since this is the Handgun forum I won't mention those here.

Regretted selling or trading off? almost everything I ever did, at least briefly at some point.

Don't regret? A pair of Llamas, one DA 357 that would reliably fire only 4 of six and not always the same 4 and a .45 Auto that would eject 3-5 of seven, and again not always the same ones.

Both went to people who were AWARE of their issues.
Old December 6, 2019, 12:59 AM   #8
PatientWolf

Parted with with no regrets:

High Standard Duramatic. It was a jamomatic. After a lot of work on the magazine I got it to feed relatively reliably, but it really never was even a reasonable substitute for the High Standard Victor my dad had when I was growing up.

Ruger 10/22SS. Sold it to get a take-down 10/22 and never felt badly about not keeping it.
Old December 6, 2019, 05:45 AM   #9
327 FM

Glad that I got rid of....Kimber Solo, Taurus 85, Bersa
Old December 6, 2019, 08:07 AM   #10
USNRet93

Regret-A really nice Glock 19..now I carry a Glock 26 with 15R mag but see I could carry that G-19.

Glad-Ruger LCP, Ruger LC9..both pain to shoot for me..literally..thumb and wrist 'damage'.

Still have, almost didn't-Glock 17..see above..had to decide which to keep, Glock 17 or 19..glad I kept the -17..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 6, 2019, 08:13 AM   #11
P-990

If we're keeping this to handguns only, I don't regret parting with any of the ones that have gone down the road. In fact, the only gun I sort of regret getting rid of was a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .260 Rem, and even that wasn't a great gun (objectively).

Gone and never missed? Everything that said Ruger or Glock on it. A 6" S&W 629-1, a 4" S&W 19-5, a 4" S&W 15-3, a Kel-Tec PF-9 grip-pain maker, a stainless Colt Competition in .38 Super, surely others I've forgotten.

In the end it's just stuff and can be replaced.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old December 6, 2019, 09:24 AM   #12
Hal

Parted with:
Walther PPK/s - no regrets. I loved it until I shot it. Then it chewed my hand up terribly....sold it for what I paid for it.

Two pristine S&W Model 19's.
Part of me regrets charging the low price I charged the buyers, but, they were friends and/or associates & needed a gun badly - one that worked well.
I had no use for them - so - gone..

My go to question -if/when I sell or trade anything is:
Do I like it? Yes? or No?
If it's --"No" - it's gone.

If it's "yes", then my next question is:
"What will it cost to replace it & will I be willing to spend that much later on"?

The answer to that is situational.....
Old December 6, 2019, 09:24 AM   #13
Doyle

Biggest regret was trading away an original Remington Model 7 (18.5" bbl) in .243. I thought I didn't need it because I already had another one just like it in .260. Ok, I really didn't need it but still - should have kept it. Biggest relief to trade off was a CZ52 that I picked up in another trade. That was the most unergonomic handgun I have ever held.
Old December 6, 2019, 09:30 AM   #14
mk70ss

Wish I kept my H&K P7, Sig 225 9mm, and my 1975 Python...(new in the box for $350)

Glad I got rid of my first gen Sig Mosquito .22 that jammed every 3rd or 4th round regardless of ammo type.
Old December 6, 2019, 11:16 AM   #15
dontcatchmany

Miy biggest regret is a S&W 686 with a 6" barrel. At the time I sold it, it was never used because the barrel was "too long" and I did not shoot it much.

I had purchased it very cheaply and sole it likewise. aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh.

I now have a 686+ 3" and totally enjoy it.
Old December 6, 2019, 12:26 PM   #16
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
My biggest regret is the S&W Model 27-2 that I bought back when they were cheap, and now that I want another one these are going for crazy money.

The 2 that I’m glad I parted with are the .40 S&W Gen4 22 and the Tutone CZ 75B

The one I almost traded off for nothing but am glad I didn’t is the Gen3 17, that gun only needed WC Vickers Elite sights and an APEX Enhanced Trigger package, and it’s now one of my favs.

Your Turn
Most I've "re-homed" I'm well rid of. My personal hoard is in constant slow churn.

Gladdest they're gone: FIE .38 derringer, Jennings J-22. Charter Arms version of the AR-7 (unreliable). Charter Undercover (ate transfer bars). CZ-100 (troublesome, not reliable, never in 5 years did it get "off probation").

Kind-a wished I'd kept: either Bulgarian milsurp Makarov. I did OK on the trades, but I kind-a wish I still had one. Taurus Model 66. It had "issues" but I wonder now if it wasn't a firing pin problem or peening somewhere in that train.

Glad I didn't: was tempted once to trade off the S&W 19-4, factory nickle, 4".
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 6, 2019, 01:08 PM   #17
Lohman446

Regret
Beretta Tomcat and then later a Tomcat Inox edition.

These were too thick for pocket carry and too small for belt carry but I really really liked those guns and wish I had not parted with them.

Is the Tupperware objectively better? Probably but its also without soul.

The rest are all just "ehh" and is what it is.
Old December 6, 2019, 02:52 PM   #18
shurshot

Regrets; Beretta AR-70, 5.56 prior to the Bush ban. Should have kept it... $$$ !
Also, I had a number of vintage lever action Winchesters in the late 80's, early 90's... foolishly sold them, ... in .38-55, .32-40, .30-30, .32 Spl., .308, Got them all pretty cheap back then. Should have kept those!!!
Guns I'm glad I got rid of? 3 different Glocks.
Old December 6, 2019, 02:59 PM   #19
BradS

Regret: S&W Mod 27 4", Colt Python 4", Colt Detective Special, Belgian Hi Power, Colt Gold Cup...
I didn't have disposable cash, so I had to sell one to get one.
Old December 6, 2019, 04:33 PM   #20
Hanshi

Regrets? But oh where to start. Here are a few:

4 Colt Single Action Armies
Ruger 7-1/2" flattop .44 mag.
S&W 8-3/8" M27 in it's wooden case
Belgian Browning .375 H&H mag
Colt Gold Cup
Ruger ss 6-1/2" single six with mag cylinder
Two Ruger #3s
Win M70 .458 Win mag

I'll stop here as I'm starting to tear up.
Old December 6, 2019, 07:12 PM   #21
2wheelwander

I've sold 2 and regret them both

686 6". Bought it used to hunt deer. Cocked the hammer to take a nice buck and it malfunctioned. The cylinder didn't lock up, just spun freely. I was in my early 20's pissed at it and instead of taking it to a gunsmith I sold it for $300. It was nice otherwise.

Second was a Colt HBAR I sold to fund the new collapsible stock tacticool rage over 20 years ago for $800. It had about 100 rounds through it otherwise NIB.

I wish I had them both back.
Old December 6, 2019, 10:38 PM   #22
dannyb

I can't really think of a gun that I've traded or sold that I've missed. Fastest one I got rid of was my first .45 ACP, a Llama that either jammed or ejected the empty right into my face. Had it a week. The other one that I miss the least is a Rohrbaugh 9mm; jammed routinely and the take down method required three hands, two feet, and other anatomical parts.
Old December 6, 2019, 11:28 PM   #23
Wishoot

I parted with a blued 6" Security Six a very long time ago. If I remember correctly, it was for an even trade on a Belgian Browning Hi-Power. I love the BHP, but I do miss that revolver.

I traded a CZ75B for a 5.5" Ruger Redhawk 44mag. Sort of miss that CZ, but not that much.

Sold a S&W 4586. Wish I would of kept it. Great gun, but it felt like I was curling a Subaru after a while.

I WAS HAPPY TO PART WITH:

- S&W M&P 9 (horrid accuracy)
- Saiga 7.62 (not an AK47 fan)
- Glock 22 (not a 40 S&W guy)
- Browning Buckmark Camper (decent gun, just prefer my Ruger MKIV)
Old December 7, 2019, 12:40 AM   #24
RJTravel

A Colt .22 Frontier Scout I bought new in 1959 - fired perhaps 2 dozen times - in original box with original receipt. Kept for 25+ years and then traded for some meaningless junk. Wish I had it to pass down to the kids. Also a J C Higgins .22 rifle I bought from Sears approx 1950 with my lawn mowing earnings - my brother got it for $2.
Old December 7, 2019, 12:53 AM   #25
bamaranger

history

I traded a nice M27 with counter sunk chambers for a M29 , and traded the M29 for my first "tactical" style rifle, and I wish I had both of those revolvers back. I sold a steel framed 1911 brushed nickel .45 Commander, and I wish I had that one back too.

I initially traded a Dan Wesson for the M27, and was glad to get rid of it. Accurate when the barrel gap was set correctly, but the lock work gave me fits.