The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 30, 2018, 08:29 PM   #1
deerslayer303

Ithaca Double Barrel

Can you guys provide me any info on this Ithaca Double? From a google search it looks like a Flues? No stampings on the barrel. Left barrel looks like a Modified Choke or there abouts and the right barrel looks more open (cylinder bore?). Thanks in advance guys! Very neat old two timer. But I can't get my old man to come off of it!

Old January 31, 2018, 11:40 AM   #2
Oliver Sudden

Yes, that's a Flues model Ithaca.
Old January 31, 2018, 12:28 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

I have my Grandfather's Ithaca, which I always thought was a Flues model, but I now think it is an NID (New Industry Double) but I am not certain, and not an expert, by any means. That gun has completely different engraving from yours, mine has the dog (pointer?) on the receiver. My gun was made in 1909, that is verified fact. My Grandfathers gun has "fluid steel" barrels, making it safe for modern smokeless shells (of moderate power)

Don't know if your Flues model does, or not, sorry. It doesn't look like twist barrels, but you need a expert's opinion to be sure its safe to shoot.

USUALLY the right barrel is more open choked than the left, but any combination is possible, as Ithaca would make what ever the customer wanted.

My Grandfather's double has 26" barrels, and is choked FULL/FULL which is how he ordered it. Also has the stock made to his order, with a bit more drop than usual. makes that gun a real experience to shoot!

Sweet old Ithaca, in excellent shape! Congratulations!
Old January 31, 2018, 01:01 PM   #4
Oliver Sudden

44 amp, In 1909 the Flues was being made. The engraving does not indicate the model but the grade. Field grade guns had little engraving but the mechanics were same as the top grade guns. The higher grade guns were better fit and finish with more engraving and fancy wood but still the same basic gun. On the Flues the dogs were stamped on and are standard. I just rebuilt one and I'm very familur with the Flues and I shoot a Lewis model.
Old January 31, 2018, 02:26 PM   #5
FITASC

Quote:
Left barrel looks like a Modified Choke or there abouts and the right barrel looks more open (cylinder bore?)
How did you determine this?

And are you sure it has a 2-3/4" chamber? Guns from early 1900s (a lot of them) had 2-1/2" chambers.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 31, 2018, 02:30 PM   #6
deerslayer303

I am going off the tick marks on my eyeball. The left barrel visually looks tighter than the right. You can clearly see the difference. The chamber? I haven't a clue. There is no stampings in regard to that anywhere on the gun.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old January 31, 2018, 04:07 PM   #7
ligonierbill

It was 1924 or thereabouts that the industry standard for shotshells changed from 8 ksi to 12 ksi. The Flues is a lower pressure gun; the NID is made to the "new" standard. I have a Flues 12 ga, and it's a sweet gun. I shoot B&P low pressure loads. Very pleasant, and they sure kill clay birds.
Old January 31, 2018, 08:29 PM   #8
deerslayer303

How do I find out the length of the chamber in this gun? Low pressure shells, GOT IT! And is there anyway to date it with the Serial #?

Last edited by deerslayer303; January 31, 2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old February 1, 2018, 03:50 PM   #9
ligonierbill

You can measure the chamber length with a small rule. Remember it's the fired length. I don't remember the site, but I think a google search will get you to serial number data.
Old February 1, 2018, 05:18 PM   #10
jaguarxk120

Flues & NIG models were made from 1908 to 1926.

The serial numbers ranged from 175000 to 398365.

If you post the serial number as 1234XX I can give you the year made.
Old February 1, 2018, 06:49 PM   #11
FITASC

The danger lies in the fact the today's "normal" 2-3/4" ammo (unfired) will fit in a 2-1/2" chamber. Remember that chamber length is the FIRED length of the hull, and way back then hulls were rolled crimp, not folded..............if you can't figure it out, find a competent old gun gunsmith and have him give it a once-over.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 1, 2018, 09:06 PM   #12
deerslayer303

Quote:
If you post the serial number as 1234XX I can give you the year made.
The Serial # is 294XXX Thank you!
Quote:
The danger lies in the fact the today's "normal" 2-3/4" ammo (unfired) will fit in a 2-1/2" chamber. Remember that chamber length is the FIRED length of the hull, and way back then hulls were rolled crimp, not folded..............if you can't figure it out, find a competent old gun gunsmith and have him give it a once-over.
Thank you, I'll do my best to try and measure the chamber. I'll post my results here. But if I can't get a definite measurement, I'll take it to my Gunsmith. My father isn't gonna shoot it much. But he has mentioned he would like to fire it occasionally. Luckily there are some companies online selling the appropriate shells for these old guns. I have been salivating over this thing since he got it, the lucky dog!! But at least I can visit with it whenever I want. LOL
Old February 2, 2018, 08:26 AM   #13
jaguarxk120

Serial number range for 1918 is 289300 to 299799.

With the number 294XXX the gun was made in 1918.
Old February 2, 2018, 01:26 PM   #14
peterg7

Is this a 12 gauge? The old 12 shotshell was 2-5/8”, 16 was 2-9/16”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 2, 2018, 05:43 PM   #15
deerslayer303

Thank you Jaguar! Peterg, it's a 12 ga.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk