The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 31, 2016, 12:29 PM   #1
Bucksnort1

Choke Markings Fox Shotgun

I have a Stevens/Fox, Model B, side-by-side shotgun in 20 ga. I see no markings anywhere to indicate chokes for both barrels. I measured the right barrel (fires first) at about .612 which would make this a cylinder bore. The left barrel seems to be improved. I know the what the chokes are but I'm curious about markings on the gun to indicate what they are.
Old December 31, 2016, 01:42 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Look on the barrel under the fore stock.
Standard chokes for a Fox B were Modified/Improved Cylinder on the 26" barrels. Your .612" barrel is Improved Cylinder.
Old December 31, 2016, 09:37 PM   #3
Blindstitch

Here's some more info for you.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/fox_B_shotguns.htm

Kinda wish I had a Savage fox in 20 gauge with single trigger. Not sure they made it that way but I get a kick out of using my Savage Fox 12 gauge with single trigger. But it can be overkill on some birds.
Old January 1, 2017, 07:50 AM   #4
FITASC

Quote:
Kinda wish I had a Savage fox in 20 gauge with single trigger. Not sure they made it that way but I get a kick out of using my Savage Fox 12 gauge with single trigger. But it can be overkill on some birds.
The Model BSE (which I have) is made that way. 26", IC/M, single trigger, vent rib barrels, ejectors, not extractors, 3" chambers. Used to us it for duck hunting back when lead was still legal. Still have a box of 3" #2s for it.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 1, 2017, 11:35 AM   #5
Bucksnort1

Blindstitch, FITASC,

My gun has a single trigger with ejectors and with a vent rib but the rib is very low between the barrels. You can tell it is a vent rib.

I thought I read where .612 is the I.D. of a cylinder choke but, as I tell my friends, I operate under two rules. Rule one is, I'm always right. Rule two is, if I'm wrong, see rule one.