The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 1, 2016, 02:03 PM   #1
Benchrestbughole

Value Help

My father has an unfired pre-WWII FN 98 Mauser short action. I've read that this action is very rare. Can anyone give me an estimated value, and where best to put it up for sale if he decides to sell it.
On the chance he decides to keep, where can I find a nice stock for it?

Thank you
Old March 1, 2016, 03:50 PM   #2
Scorch

How do you know it's pre-WW2? FN made intermediate actions, but I have never seen one that was not a military rifle. I have no idea if there is a premium paid for pre-war FN actions. Military FN M98 actions go for about $250-ish, post WW2 commercial actions sell for about $450. FN 98s are some of the most desirable actions. That said, I have seen a lot of pretty rough ones.

For a stock, you can go to Macon Gunstocks or Richards Microfit for pre-carved blanks. For a finished stock, Accuracy Innivations can help you out.
Old March 1, 2016, 04:44 PM   #3
Benchrestbughole

Thank you.
Old March 2, 2016, 04:03 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

FN didn't make K98 actions/rifles until after W.W. II. FN K98's aren't terribly rare either. They were used by several hunting rifle makers and department store brands after W.W. II. Sears, Montgomery Wards, Western Field, et al.
An action alone isn't worth a big pile of money. You can buy a barreled action for less than $300 on Gun Broker. A whole rifle runs $500ish and up.
Old March 2, 2016, 08:48 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

After WWI, military arms making was a bullish business. With old empires dissolved, new nations created, and colonies freed or under new manqagement, there was a booming business in equipping new armies. The peak hit in 1924. As I understand, years earlier the Liege FN firm had acquired the patents from Mauser for what was known as the Model 1896 (an experimental rifle), while Mauser went on to improve the design as the Model 1898.

FN used the older design, which had a shorter receiver and different breeching, to manufacture their Model [19]24, which they sold on the commercial military market. One major customer was the new nation of Yugoslavia, for which FN set up a factory to make the rifle in-country. So the rifles we call the Model 24 Yugoslav can be either made in Belgium or in Yugoslavia. The Model 24/48 rifles were all made in Yugoslavia in or after 1948. Upgraded and repaired Model 24 rifles were designated as the Model 24/47. All have receivers shorter than the standard Model 98.

Other makers put out "Model 24" rifles also; CZ produced their superb VZ.24, which has a standard Mauser 98 action, and Mauser itself later made a commercial military rifle they named (retroactively) the Model 24, also a standard 98 action.

Jim