The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 28, 2011, 11:44 PM   #26
frigate88

Try shooting opposite handed. I'm kinda messed up myself. It took
a lot of self training for me because I shoot a long gun left handed and aim with my left eye and I shoot right handed with a pistol aiming with my right eye. It's kinda weird I know.
Old December 29, 2011, 07:22 AM   #27
PawPaw

All this is why, with grandkids, we first do a test for eye dominance before they ever pick up the first shotgun or rifle. It is so much easier to teach them if they're shooting from the dominant side, whether left-handed or right-handed.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 3, 2012, 12:37 PM   #28
andhen2003

As an update, I went to the clays range last week.

I tried closing my left eye just as i was about to shoot -- didn't work very well, as the clay would seem to shift location as I closed the eye.

I squinted my left eye -- at first this felt very awkward and I missed more than I should, but as I went through the course I got better and better and was nailing them better than ever by the end. That said, it's not easy to do as I found it a bit hard to track down the clays.

I tried a few times shooting left handed. It felt all wrong. At age 42, trying to change my dominant hand for some fun sporting clays and upland bird hunting a few times a year definitely ain't worth it.

I'm going to try the tape over the left lens technique next time I'm out.

But I'm pheasant hunting for my first time in a few weeks and looks like I will have to work with the squinty method for now.

Anyway, just wanted to report back for those who are curious.
Old January 3, 2012, 12:58 PM   #29
TheKlawMan

I tried shooting with tape for a third day and I believe it will work pretty well for me. A guy with the same problem showed me how I was using twice as much tape as needed and that greatly increased my field of vision and reduced eye strain while at the same time I didn't have any problems with cross domiance.

You might be surprised how well the tape works for you andhen2003. Try it dong pointing drills about the house swiknging along the interface of a wall and ceiling).
Old January 3, 2012, 01:00 PM   #30
TheGoldenState

This one comes up often.

I too am left-eye dominant and strictly right-handed.

I use my left eye for pistols simply by movving my head over more, but go forced right-eyed with shotguns and rifles. Never had much trouble with practice.

I completely close left eye when clay shooting.
Old January 3, 2012, 01:01 PM   #31
Willie Lowman

Shoot left handed. My father was a lefty with right eye dominance, he shot right handed just fine.

It will feel awkward for a while but you will get used to it.

I shot sporting clays with a gentleman who lost 95% use of his right eye a few years back. He said that it wouldn't stop him from shooting so he learned to shoot left handed.
Old January 3, 2012, 01:54 PM   #32
jmr40

Learn to shoot left handed. You will suffer at first, but as you learn, your shooting will eventually improve far past the point you will ever get now.
Old January 4, 2012, 09:43 AM   #33
jimjc

As a side note Hickok45 thats on youtube with gun videos is left eye dominant and shoots right handed and is a very good shot and has been in competition so you might contact him through a email and he may just return some info. He happens to be on some of the gun forums especially Glock forums so that may be another way to contact him. Just a thought
Old January 4, 2012, 11:49 PM   #34
TheGoldenState

Jimjc,

He is also here at TFL