The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 31, 2019, 11:05 AM   #26
mondaraguila

I use an earplug, which has a quality of noise-canceling and gives me a limited sound to the ear. I don't tolerate my hearing loss.
Old July 31, 2019, 01:38 PM   #27
AgedWarrior

After spending over 24 years in the Air Force with a lot of flightline experience I consider myself blessed to still have relatively good hearing. I was always diligent to wear muffs on the flightline. Unfortunately, I have very small ear canals that prevent practical use of foam plugs or many other plugs for that matter. I was issued the smallest available ear plugs, and could just barely insert them. I have some good plugs on a head band that are fine tipped and the band maintains enough pressure to keep them in; they work for long gun work. I use a set of Walker’s Razors for handgun shooting; if I am alone I leave the sound off. These work pretty good overall for me, and my hearing is still quite good.
Old July 31, 2019, 04:49 PM   #28
labnoti

You were on the right track with Howard Leight electronic muffs doubled up with foam plugs.

If you get the low 22dB NRR electronic muffs, then be sure to always wear foam plugs as well. Just a .357 Magnum can measure over 165dB. If you only reduce that by 22dB, it's still 143dB -- well over the threshold of pain and it can rapidly cause permanent damage. If you shoot indoors or in certain outdoor terrain, sound can be reflected back at you, increasing your exposure. If you shoot with others on the range, just because you brought a quiet .22 short doesn't mean the guy next to you won't be shooting a .338 Lapua with a muzzle brake pointed right at your ears.

You can also get 30dB NRR electronic muffs (Howard Leight and other brands as well). These muffs are thicker. You could wear them without foam plugs with many guns under the best of conditions, but you'd still want to double-up whenever various sound level factors are working against you.

You can get behind-the-neck muffs for when you want to wear a wide-brimmed hat. I have a set of -33dB Peltors like this and they work great with a sun hat, but there's no electronics to let conversation through -- fine since I mostly shoot alone.

People with money to spend are more likely to upgrade to something like Pro Ears. I haven't tried them.

From my many years motorcycling, I've tried all the foam plugs under a helmet. The fat, bell-shaped Howard Leight MAX are the quietest but they put a lot of pressure on the ear canal which gets uncomfortable after a little time. Many more people find the Laser Lights, Hearos, and Mack's Comfy Cush style more comfortable for longer periods of wear. The Howard Leight Max Lite Low pressure are probably the softest that's still over 30dB NRR. Mack's makes slim plugs that can be a better fit on smaller ears. My kids use them and relatively thin Peltor passive muffs. I've tried them and they work ok for me too.

For music (working in live sound tech/engineering), I've tried Etymotic plugs. They have some advantages, but are only 20dB NRR. They could be ok doubled with electronic muffs, but otherwise are not suitable for firearms.

I depend on plugs when shooting rifles. I can't mount the stock with any of the muffs I have. Thankfully, I only shoot outdoors and never at public ranges where I'd be exposed to noises I don't control.

If I needed a better solution for rifle, I'd try the thin Howard Leight Impact Sport doubled with foam plugs. I think they have the best chance of not interfering with the stock.
Old July 31, 2019, 05:22 PM   #29
stinkeypete

Foam plugs with great big cans over the top and electronic muffs and slimline muffs in the range bag.

I plug-muff for all range shooting except .22 rifle alone (big cans) or skeet (slimline muffs) and often plug-muff for .22 on busy days when someone very loud might show up.

The electronic muffs are for hunting or wearing outside the shooting bunkers for chatting with people.

Starting with foam plugs and big peltor cans gives a lot of sound attenuation for not much money. The other stuff I added over the years.
Old July 31, 2019, 08:53 PM   #30
FloridaGuy

I wear Pro Ears Gold they have a NRR rating of 30 they are a little pricey. Here is a link to there site https://proears.com/product/pro-ears-pro-mag-gold/

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old August 1, 2019, 11:40 AM   #31
RC20

Going simple its dual layer, squeeze plugs i9f they work for you (I knew one guy who did not like the squeeze foam but like the harder sort of squeeze foam)

then a GOOD set of muffs, not cheap.

I am trialing Walker insert type suppressor and muffs. The idea is I can take the muffs off to talk and an unexpected shot will not make things worse. they are very much like soft squeeze plugs if they fail they just stop noise.

Or I can be out of the shed and get the sudden bang protection.