The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 19, 2008, 03:12 PM   #1
The Great Mahoo

Obtaining a C&R License

I was looking on the ATF website for form ATF7CR to submit for a C&R license and was unable to find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction for the paperwork so I can get started? I'd like to just download and print them, but would be happy to submit for copies if need be.

Thanks!
Old August 19, 2008, 03:17 PM   #2
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm

You want ATF Form 5310.16
Old August 19, 2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Hkmp5sd

PS. They no longer allow downloading of FFL applications. You have to request the forms and have them mailed to you.
Old August 19, 2008, 04:15 PM   #4
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Forgot about that...

Yeah, er, what he said.
Old August 19, 2008, 04:49 PM   #5
Perajio

I just ordered my forms!

Join The NRA and protect you're rights!
Old August 20, 2008, 05:21 AM   #6
SuperKord

Is it worth it?

Ive thought about the possibility of getting my C&R licence for about a year now, and I was wondering is it worth it for just a few guns? Im talking maybe two SKSs or a couple Mosin-Nagants. What do you guys/gals think?

-c/Kord!
Old August 20, 2008, 05:35 AM   #7
Perajio

Based upon the mulitiple facets of the C&R realm, I'd say it's worth it.

Old August 20, 2008, 08:10 AM   #8
jsmaye

The C&R costs $30 and lasts three years. I hope to save that on the first purchase - with a C&R I won't have to jack around with a FFL transfer fee if (when) I mail-order something.

But I would also be very interested in any additional benefits, such as if they make gun-show purchases any easier...
Old August 20, 2008, 09:56 AM   #9
The Great Mahoo

Thanks a bunch! I've already ordered my forms.

I'd been thinking about getting a CRL for a few months now, and now I am underway! I figured that I can save the price that the license costs on my first purchase, then anything afterwards is just savings. Since its good for 3 years, I think its a good investment.
Old August 20, 2008, 10:07 AM   #10
Technosavant

Quote:
But I would also be very interested in any additional benefits, such as if they make gun-show purchases any easier...
They might, they might not. Depends on the dealer themselves. Some, even when presented with a copy of your FFL, will still demand that you fill out a 4473 and go through the NICS check (effectively treating the transaction as a "normal" one, ignoring your FFL). This can be ignorance on their part (not knowing it isn't needed) or just malice (not every 01 FFL likes us 03 holders, they'd prefer we pay their markup and profit rather than get the same deals they do).

Either way, you're still best off buying directly from distributors. That's where the gun show dealers and retail shops get their guns. You can pay the same price (say, $80 for a Mosin Nagant instead of $130-150 at a retail store) that they do, and you don't need to cover anybody's overhead.
Old August 20, 2008, 11:42 AM   #11
YankeeRebel

I have the green sheet application, but have also gone on line and requested the forms. However, I have a friend that once had a C&R and he said that you need to be fingerprinted. I called the local BATFE office and asked if the fingerprints were part of the application. They said no. From your experience, what is the skinny?

If God had used the zero tollerance policy then there would be no humans.
Old August 20, 2008, 12:51 PM   #12
jsmaye

Quote:
Either way, you're still best off buying directly from distributors.
Distributors? By all means, point me in that direction...

...or are you talking about the online or mail order shops?
Old August 20, 2008, 05:22 PM   #13
HKuser

Quote:
I have the green sheet application, but have also gone on line and requested the forms. However, I have a friend that once had a C&R and he said that you need to be fingerprinted. I called the local BATFE office and asked if the fingerprints were part of the application. They said no. From your experience, what is the skinny?
No prints, I got my license within the last three months.
Old August 20, 2008, 07:54 PM   #14
Technosavant

Quote:
Distributors? By all means, point me in that direction...

...or are you talking about the online or mail order shops?
For the most part, they're one and the same. Classic Arms, AIM Surplus, Southern Ohio Gun, and more. They carry C&R stuff as well as other non C&R guns. While they may not be the full up distributors like those of new guns, they can carry a large selection of used guns (like police turn ins).
Old August 20, 2008, 10:01 PM   #15
possum

Getting the license really isn't a big deal at all.

I had one for eight years before my tastes changed a bit.

Cheap fun.

Bad addiction.

Save your pennies.

possum
Old August 21, 2008, 11:21 AM   #16
carguychris

Quote:
I recently got a C&R and fingerprints were not required.

FWIW the only confusing and somewhat odd aspect of the C&R application IMHO is that you're required to send notice to your local chief of law enforcement that you're applying for a C&R. However, this is notification only- they aren't required to approve the application or even to respond in any way. It's only a potential issue if you live in a state with a bunch of wonky licensing requirements like CA or MA. Send it certified mail so you get a delivery receipt for CYA purposes, then forget about it.
Quote:
It really doesn't make any difference at gun shows. IMHO the other main benefit, besides mail ordering firearms, is that it makes you a "dealer" in the eyes of mail order supply houses like Midway USA and Brownells. You will get discounts on all sorts of stuff, including things that have nothing to do with collecting (range bags, bullets, tools, the whole 9 yards). Mine paid for itself in ~3 months just from this.
Old August 21, 2008, 12:39 PM   #17
YoungGun

The most saving is discount from online vendors (Midwayusa, grafs, brownells, etc...). I got more in return from my first Midwayusa order than the $30 fee for the C&R License.

Yg
Old August 21, 2008, 04:51 PM   #18
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
FWIW the only confusing and somewhat odd aspect of the C&R application IMHO is that you're required to send notice to your local chief of law enforcement that you're applying for a C&R.
You also get to notify them each time you renew your license. I just send them a snail-mail letter stating I'm renewing. I even put "C&R FFL Renewal Notice" on the outside of the envelope so they can save time and chunk it in the trash without bothering to open it.
Old August 21, 2008, 05:31 PM   #19
jfrey123

Quote:
IMHO the other main benefit, besides mail ordering firearms, is that it makes you a "dealer"

So you can mail order them for yourself with a C&R license? Does this apply to the relics only, or can one with this license order any firearm for themselves?

Does one actually own the firearm that they order, or is it just like you ordered it as a store and have to keep your own Records on file for the ATF to inspect? What happens if your license expires and you have all these guns you ordered yourself?

Signed,

Confused and Very Curious
Old August 21, 2008, 06:02 PM   #20
Hkmp5sd

You can buy only C&R firearms on your license. You own the guns. You must keep records while your license is valid and ATF may inspect them once per year. When your license lapses, you can do whatever you want with your records, keep them or destroy them.
Old August 22, 2008, 07:00 PM   #21
Perajio

How many business days does it take to get the application in the mail after ordering the paperwork?

Old August 22, 2008, 09:16 PM   #22
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I requested mine on a Friday and received it on the next Thursday. Not bad response time for the gubmit...

An item to address that I had questions when I filled out the application:

When you provide your signature, the next block is "Title". If you're applying for a C&R for yourself and NOT for partnership/business, I'd advise filling in "individual" or "owner".

That's just my experience.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old August 23, 2008, 02:27 PM   #23
Perajio

My License Application came in!

Just got my paperwork today in the mail. Gonna have to sit down after dinner and get it goin.

Old August 29, 2008, 04:57 PM   #24
JAYBIRD78

C and R

Just filled out my applications, sending them out tomorrow in the mail. I can already see that mosin-nagant sitting in the safe.
Old August 29, 2008, 05:15 PM   #25
johnwilliamson062

If I resell a gun I bought with my C&R what do I do?
When the license is still active?
What if it expires?