The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 1, 2020, 10:13 PM   #1
Jacket67

Colorado Pistol Advice

Hey TFL,

Going to be moving to the Denver area in another year due to a job offer and I wanted to ask for some input on another pistol to get. I currently have a shield 9mm and a Ruger SR45 full size. I've been wanting to bridge the gap between these two guns and get a handgun with more capacity than the shield, but easier to conceal than the SR. I like both 9 and 45, but have been favoring 45 lately. I've read that Colorado has a 15 round magazine limit, so that makes me think the playing field is more level for choosing something like Glock 30 that can take up to 13 rounds of 45.

Basically, I'm wondering if the little bit of extra capacity of a 15 round 9mm like the g19 or m&p compact outweighs the larger bullet of a 45.

I plan to fish, hunt, hike, etc. and am not sure if 9mm or 45 is better for the critters out that way. Looking at glock (19 and 30) and m&p (9c) as the main contenders for my purchase.

I'd greatly appreciate any input you have to offer.

Edit: I am also not opposed to 10mm, but please explain why you'd recommend this over 9 and 45 if you choose that.
Old January 1, 2020, 10:56 PM   #2
cslinger

I honestly think once you hit 12 or so rounds you are far far into the statistical noise as far as need. Now more is ALWAYS better until it compromises a given design envelope but 15 rounds of 9mm isn’t exactly neutered in terms of capability. (It’s stupid and arbitrary and an infringement of course).

That being said, since you have your .45 bases covered I suggest a “wonder nine” something compact to mid size. (Glock 19, HK P30/VP9, etc.)

Variety is the spice of life.
Old January 1, 2020, 11:03 PM   #3
Targa

You ask why a 10mm.....because you already have a 9mm and .45 and you can buy .40 s&w barrels for the 10mm in a Glock 20 for example. As for the critters in Colorado, not much to worry about, 2 leg critters are the threat outdoors here. 9mm or .45 will take care of anything you might encounter out here.
Old January 2, 2020, 07:12 AM   #4
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket67 View Post
Hey TFL,

Going to be moving to the Denver area in another year due to a job offer and I wanted to ask for some input on another pistol to get. I currently have a shield 9mm and a Ruger SR45 full size. I've been wanting to bridge the gap between these two guns and get a handgun with more capacity than the shield, but easier to conceal than the SR. I like both 9 and 45, but have been favoring 45 lately. I've read that Colorado has a 15 round magazine limit, so that makes me think the playing field is more level for choosing something like Glock 30 that can take up to 13 rounds of 45.

Basically, I'm wondering if the little bit of extra capacity of a 15 round 9mm like the g19 or m&p compact outweighs the larger bullet of a 45.

I plan to fish, hunt, hike, etc. and am not sure if 9mm or 45 is better for the critters out that way. Looking at glock (19 and 30) and m&p (9c) as the main contenders for my purchase.

Edit: I am also not opposed to 10mm, but please explain why you'd recommend this over 9 and 45 if you choose that.

The Glock 19X, Glock 45 9 mm or a Glock 19, Gen 5 are your best bets.

Wildcats are what you need to worry about in the wild there. Make sure your back is not turned towards them.

I have just acquired 3 different chest rigs for when I’m out in the wild. I think they’re the best option when outdoors. They’re posted on my social media pics, but I’ll say that a chest rig that is convertible to a belt rig is more versatile. I have them for a Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull , S&W Performance Center 627 2.5” 8 Shot 357 Magnum , and a 500 Magnum.

I like chest rigs since they’re most accessible when walking, sitting or standing. Plus they distribute weight across the back, as opposed to giving an altered gait on a belt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old January 2, 2020, 08:04 AM   #5
USNRet93

Drive over to the 'Reloading Zone'..when it comes time to decide. Good people, good prices..

http://thereloadingzone.com/

BUT, IMHO, Glock 19, 19x, 45...would be my choices.
Maybe G26 with G19 magazine(what I EDC)...
Quote:
Got about 8-10 hours? Google this question and get a Ba-Zillion opinions.

IMHO..9mm more funner to shoot, cheaper too. Shooting lots=gooder with gun plus knowing it is reliable..

I think reliability, shot placement way, WAY more important than caliber or capacity. Throw in ease of concealment.

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; January 2, 2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old January 5, 2020, 01:50 PM   #6
BoredKender

CO 10mm carry checking in. I find myself doing quite a bit of hiking here since it's so beautiful for it. After a couple months of debate I replaced my "jeep gun" m&p 45 with a 1911 10mm. But after a few trips to the range and side by side with my shield 45 the latter is now just stashed in my emergency backup kit. 10mm is just flat out superior at longer ranges for the wildlife out here (both 2 and 4 legged)

Being in Denver something to remember is that it is the rest of the state is open carry friendly, but Denver is not and they will confiscate your stuff if you forget. Shall issue state for concealed with a couple small caveats such as residency period.
Old January 6, 2020, 08:23 AM   #7
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredKender View Post
CO 10mm carry checking in. I find myself doing quite a bit of hiking here since it's so beautiful for it. After a couple months of debate I replaced my "jeep gun" m&p 45 with a 1911 10mm. But after a few trips to the range and side by side with my shield 45 the latter is now just stashed in my emergency backup kit. 10mm is just flat out superior at longer ranges for the wildlife out here (both 2 and 4 legged)

Being in Denver something to remember is that it is the rest of the state is open carry friendly, but Denver is not and they will confiscate your stuff if you forget. Shall issue state for concealed with a couple small caveats such as residency period.
10-4 but the OP mentioned.
Quote:
I currently have a shield 9mm and a Ruger SR45 full size. I've been wanting to bridge the gap between these two guns and get a handgun with more capacity than the shield, but easier to conceal than the SR.
Not sure any 1911 10mm HG is 'easier to conceal'..IMHO

AND, yup, CITY of Denver is NOT legal for open carry..but essentially, the rest of the state is..even the people's republic..'May' get a discussion with LEO if you do, but it's legal(just not smart, again, IMHO)..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 6, 2020, 09:16 AM   #8
Adventurer 2

CO - my favorite state to spend time off in -- your nine or fortyfive is perfect for the increasing number of sketchy peeps that have made the move to pot legal Denver, however, not so much for the great outdoors. Last month i had to E & E from an angry bighorn sheep -- don't think either handgun would have helped. If you want a do all semi-automatic get the 10mm. But my recommendation is bear spray -- works against off leash (aggressive) dogs to bears (not sure if it would work against a moose) and nobody is going to want to hang you for using it (provided you really needed to use it). Enjoy the over 300 days of sunshine.
Old January 6, 2020, 09:52 AM   #9
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer 2 View Post
CO - my favorite state to spend time off in -- your nine or fortyfive is perfect for the increasing number of sketchy peeps that have made the move to pot legal Denver, however, not so much for the great outdoors. Last month i had to E & E from an angry bighorn sheep -- don't think either handgun would have helped. If you want a do all semi-automatic get the 10mm. But my recommendation is bear spray -- works against off leash (aggressive) dogs to bears (not sure if it would work against a moose) and nobody is going to want to hang you for using it (provided you really needed to use it). Enjoy the over 300 days of sunshine.
PLUS, if you do kill an animal, like a bighorn or bear, or whatever..you then 'own' it. And most probably will be charged with poaching until it's investigated. Unless you are permitted, in season, etc..
Quote:
increasing number of sketchy peeps that have made the move to pot legal Denver
Well, since MJ is now 'mainstream', a LOT of the 'sketchy peeps', who were in the MJ 'biz', have adiosed...I wouldn't worry about stoners tho..just throw a bag of Cheetos at them. Stoners aren't dangerous, like drunks or meth users...are..I WOULD worry about them and their suppliers...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 6, 2020, 12:32 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...Unless you are permitted, in season, etc..." And have the correct hunting licence and tags. Assuming 'tags' apply.
"...9mm or .45 will take care of anything..." That'd be any 2 legged varmint. Yogi will just get annoyed. Big kitties are hunted with .22 Mag revolvers in some places. Mind you, Kitty comes from above and behind. Usually in absolute silence.
No handgun round will stop anything in its tracks. However, any handgun must fit your hand as well as being chambered in a sufficient cartridge.
"...Denver is not..." I often wonder why ya'll are mostly pleasant and easy going when you have to comply with Federal, State and municipal firearms laws. It's Federal only here. Mind you, Junior and his cohorts are busy trying to change that.
Old January 6, 2020, 06:22 PM   #11
Jacket67

I have no intention to open carry, only concealed once I obtain a permit.

One thing about 10mm I don't like (from just reading so please correct me if I'm wrong) is that its more expensive and harder to find than other calibers. So I would probably consider the glock 30 in 45acp, then get a 10mm conversion kit for the woods so I'm not married to the caliber, but have it as an option.

Thoughts?
Old January 6, 2020, 08:33 PM   #12
Nanuk

Quote:
I often wonder why ya'll are mostly pleasant and easy going when you have to comply with Federal, State and municipal firearms laws. It's Federal only here. Mind you, Junior and his cohorts are busy trying to change that.
Because Canadian gun laws, for the most part are much more restrictive and we have a constitution.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 6, 2020, 09:05 PM   #13
FITASC

Easy to conceal would be a SIG P365. But, for hiking where 4 legged critters like big cats might be in the mix; I might opt for something specific in the 357, 44 or 45 Colt arena.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 6, 2020, 09:45 PM   #14
Cosmodragoon

The advantage of 9mm is a combination of higher capacity and/or smaller firearms that are easier or more comfortable to conceal. The difference in effectiveness or damage to most media between 9mm and .45 acp will always be less than that of another round fired into the same media. You might not need an extra round in a defensive encounter but if you ever do, you'll sure be glad to have it.

10mm is interesting, especially for woodland applications. Factory ammo offers a pretty wide range from .40 S&W levels to much more powerful. One thing to keep in mind is that these also tend to be larger firearms. Something I find myself asking is, if I'm going to use a caliber that necessitates a larger frame anyway, why not make it 10mm?

The downside is cost and availability. The other issue is that while 10mm is great for the woods, it may be considered overkill for EDC around town. Generally, I like a compact 9mm around town and a full-sized 10mm out in the woods.
Old January 7, 2020, 01:33 AM   #15
DockRock

9mm is not an effective cartridge in the mountains unless you only come across meth heads. A Ruger Blackhawk in 45 lc or a 1911 in 45 acp will be better choices.
Old January 7, 2020, 08:11 AM   #16
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockRock View Post
9mm is not an effective cartridge in the mountains unless you only come across meth heads. A Ruger Blackhawk in 45 lc or a 1911 in 45 acp will be better choices.
Quote:
I've been wanting to bridge the gap between these two guns and get a handgun with more capacity than the shield, but easier to conceal than the SR.
Quote:
I have no intention to open carry, only concealed once I obtain a permit.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 7, 2020, 08:47 AM   #17
FITASC

Quote:
Quote:
I've been wanting to bridge the gap between these two guns and get a handgun with more capacity than the shield, but easier to conceal than the SR.
That part would be covered by the 365.

However, the OP also mentioned hiking, etc. I would prefer something more powerful than a 9mm for that aspect of his adventures in Colorado
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 9, 2020, 12:34 PM   #18
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket67 View Post
Hey TFL,

Hello,

I am a Colorado resident for 20 years and CCW permit holder.

Initially, I was a "one hand-gun" person, the limit imposed by my wife for mostly economic reasons: I have many hobbies (cycling, motorbiking, firearm shooting, archery, hunting, skiing among others) - Hey, this is Colorado! But keeping up with gear on a limited budget requires one to be very thoughtful. Therefore, I gave a LOT of thought to my choice of a handgun years ago.

I needed a handgun and caliber that was a jack of all trades, good for: home defense, competition, conceal carry, plinking, hunting and inexpensive to shoot.

Now, on the hunting topic. Be aware that in CO, big game pistol hunting requires a 4" barrel and also 550 ft-lbs of energy at 50 yards from the muzzle. This is a requirement even if you are administering a finishing coup the grace to a game animal you have felled with a rifle or bow.

In semi auto, only two calibers will give you that: 10mm and .45 SUPER. The later caliber, is a kind of a p++ caliber that can be used on many .45 ACP caliber pistols with some minor modification.

My choice: I settled on a Glock 21 3rd generation, with a barrel and recoil assembly modification to be able to shoot 45 Super (for hunting). The caliber, .45 ACP is affordable for plinking practice and competition shooting when purchased in bulk; and although .45 Super is pricey, It is about the same as 10mm price-wise and I seldom use it: only for hunting or for defense in the woods.

G21 is not that bad for conceal carry. In addition I had a smith chop the grip so it is now shorter and accepts 9 rds mags from the Glock 30 (which is easy to conceal) and also the 13 rd mag of the Glock 21:

Also, because I have always used pistols in the 1911 pattern and I conceal the pistol AIWB, I installed a Cominolli thumb safety and a Tau's Development Group "Striker Control Device" on it. The pistol has been 100% reliable throughout the years, and I am an avid shooter.

One last thing: the standard mag of the Glock 21 is 13 rds, but with a Glockmeister 10/45 Plus 2 Magazine Extension (not shown in the pictures above) I brought the capacity of the Glock 21 up to 15 rounds, the Colorado limit, for whenever I carry in the woods.

But if you already own a 9mm, I would add a 10mm pistol to your collection ONLY if you ever want to do some pistol hunting. As far as defense for mountain critters (2 and 4 legged), 9mm is more than enough for mountain lion and black bear.

Hope this helps in your decision, welcome to Colorado!

Last edited by Pistoler0; January 9, 2020 at 02:32 PM.