The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 14, 2019, 04:22 PM   #1
Brutus

Question of preference

I'll start by stating mine.
For waterfowl I like a pump and have been shooting the same Remington 870 for 50 years.
Also served as my bread and butter gun for all purposes before I could afford to buy more.
For Pheasant hunting my choice is a 12 gage O/U. Currently using a Beretta lightweight.
For northwoods Grouse hunting I prefer a 20 gage. Used to go with an 870 in that caliber but several years ago I popped for a CZ Ringneck SxS. that I've been very happy with. 26" barrels make it short and light which I appreciate going up and down hills and thick brush in my old age.

The reason I prefer doubles for upland game is because I feel they are a safer option when working with dogs in the field. Break open the action and you've pretty much rendered it inert while dealing with pups, picking up game birds and climbing over obstacles in addition you get two different chokes, what's not to like.
That's my story, what's yours?
Old September 14, 2019, 09:12 PM   #2
jmr40

If upland game were something I hunted a lot I'd probably get a nice SXS shotgun. I started on an old one that belonged to my grandfather. It is best kept as a wall hanger now. But I like the concept, just never could justify the expense, and don't want a cheap one.

Most of my shotgun hunting is waterfowl, turkey, or occasionally dove. I used an 870 most of my life, but dappled a bit with an 11-87 and Beretta AL390. I just never fell in love with those 2 autos.

But about 15 years ago picked up a used Benelli M-1. It is hard to explain, but I simply shoot it better than any shotgun I've ever owned. It is every bit as reliable as my old 870 and lighter and faster pointing to boot. I've not hunted with anything else since.

I have a 26" barrel for my 870 along with a rifle sighted 20" barrel. The shorter barrel is on it in the closet loaded with buckshot.

Winston Churchill
Old September 15, 2019, 01:40 AM   #3
Scorch

I started hunting with a Savage 311 SXS. Hated it and never really shot it well. Tried a friend's Winchester 53 autoloader. It was OK, but I could never hit anything with it. Tried a Remington 870. Again, OK but not great. Then I got a Browning Citori. Absolutely loved it, and shot it well to boot. Shot that for about 5 years. Then one day somebody handed me an old humpbacked A5 to shoot. What! That old ugly POS? Then i started shooting it and fell in love. It was like a guided missile launcher, I could not miss. Over the last 40+ years I have owned a number of them, always great, never went back. Today I own 6 of them. Are there prettier shotguns? Yes, absolutely. Are there better shotguns? Possibly, just not in my gun cabinet.
Old September 15, 2019, 07:32 AM   #4
Virginian

I like an 1100 or Wingmaster for waterfowl. Prefer a SxS for upland game. Grew up shooting wild quail and changes in farming practices and tree farming put paid to those wonderful birds. I have never, ever found the need to carry a gun broken open except where required on a range. I have experienced two unintentional discharges in the field, both times with a semi auto and due to the fact the gun was pointed safely no harm was done. To satisfy the curious, a small piece of the brass shell base broke off - maybe 1/16" square - and got wedged in the engagement notch on the sear. What are the odds of that ?
Old September 15, 2019, 09:46 AM   #5
FITASC

I stopped waterfowl when lead was outlawed. Upland birds I prefer a nice 20 gauge SxS or O/U weighing about 6-6.5#. Most pumps and semis are too heavy for all day carry. Working with pointers on a quail plantation, I carry the gun broken open over my arm since the birds hold until they send on the Cockers to flush the birds.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 15, 2019, 11:11 AM   #6
keithdog

I no longer hunt, but for many years, the only gun I hunted with was a Remington 11-87 with 26"VR barrel. LOVE that gun! Light, virtually no kick even with 3 inch shells. Never any FTF or FTE. Used it for everything from quail, to rabbit, to duck. Even took a few geese over decoys.
Old September 16, 2019, 03:26 PM   #7
Fishbed77

I received a Remington 11-87 Premiere 28" Light Contour for my 15th birthday. 25+ years later and it's still the only shotgun I use for hunting (predominantly dove). I've just never felt the need for anything else for that role.
Old September 16, 2019, 04:57 PM   #8
dgludwig

Pheasants/Chukars: Browning Double Auto, 12 gauge semi-auto , 2 3/4" chamber

Grouse/Woodcock/Quail: Merkel Model 147EL, 20 gauge sxs, 3" chamber

Waterfowl: Benelli Super Black Eagle II, 12 gauge semi-auto, 3 1/2" chamber

Deer/Turkey: Browning BPS, 12 gauge pump, 3 1/2" chamber

If I could only have one (), after tears were wiped away, it'd probably be the Benelli...
Old September 17, 2019, 01:28 PM   #9
Blindstitch

For the longest time I only had what my dad would let me use until I got a Mossberg 500 12 gauge. That gun killed a good amount of birds. But as I get a little more money to invest into equipment I've upgraded.

Used a Savage Fox side by side for a while and it convinced me to get a quality double. Since I never know what bird will be where I shoot steel for everything so chokes were a must. Jumped more than enough ducks chasing pheasants.

So now the set up is

Browning Citori 12 gauge for Pheasants, grouse, quail, dove...
Mossberg 935 3 1/2 Waterfowl Magnum for Ducks, geese, turkey...
The Mossberg 500 gets the ugly, rainy, muddy, junky days because it's a workhorse.

And they all get equal time shooting clays. Doubles have taught me to stop shooting after the second shot. Usually the third shot on fast birds is a waste because they're out of range.

If I added another a 20 gauge double would be nice for grouse, quail, doves but my area doesn't have many of those.
Old September 18, 2019, 07:14 AM   #10
TrueBlue711

My first shotgun was a Rem 870. Used it for duck/goose hunting as I grew up. Still have it, but I converted it to my home defense gun (pistol grip, shorter barrel, extended magazine tube, etc) after I got a Browning Maxus for hunting purposes. I use the Browning for pretty much everything now. Duck, goose, dove, turkey, pheasant, quail, etc. as far as hunting goes. I also use the Browning for trap, skeet and sporting clays. Gone through thousands of rounds and works great for everything.
I have the opinion that shotguns are very versatile and you just need to change ammo and the choke for different purposes. I don't need a separate shotgun for each of the different kinds of shooting I listed above.
Old September 19, 2019, 08:08 PM   #11
dgludwig

Quote:
I don't need a separate shotgun for each of the different kinds of shooting I listed above.
You certainly can do a lot of different kinds of hunting with one shotgun, but I would argue that a heavy twelve gauge gun best suited for relatively stationary places are involved (i.e., waterfowl, turkey or deer hunting) is not the gun I'd prefer (assuming I had a choice) where heavy cover and lots of walking is required (i.e., grouse, woodcock or quail hunting) makes a lighter weight, twenty gauge a better suited gun.
Old September 19, 2019, 09:58 PM   #12
FITASC

Quote:
Doubles have taught me to stop shooting after the second shot. Usually the third shot on fast birds is a waste because they're out of range.
Wish more folks realized that
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa