The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 28, 2018, 01:49 PM   #1
Captains1911

Silencerco Omega Direct Thread Issue

I'm using my Omega in direct thread mode on my 300 BLK SBR, and the issue I'm having is that often times when I go to remove the can from the rifle, rather than the entire can unscrewing from the barrel, the body of the can unscrews itself from the direct thread mount, and I then have to remove the direct thread mount by itself from the barrel, and reassemble the can. I guess the good news is the can doesn't seem to be unscrewing itself from the rifle while in use. I was just wondering if this is a common issue, and if there is anything I can do (i.e. lubricate threads, etc), to help prevent this from happening. I am tightening the direct thread mount onto the can as tight as I can by hand with the tool provided, and hand tightening the can onto the barrel fairly tight without overdoing it.
Old January 28, 2018, 02:17 PM   #2
Theohazard

I don't own an Omega, but that's one of the first issues I noticed with it when I first played with one. I also noticed that SilencerCo added wrench flats on the inside of the direct-thread mount, so they obviously know this is an issue and they wanted to make it easier for you to remove the mount if the silencer comes off and leaves it stuck on the barrel.

Call SilencerCo and ask what they recommend. They have excellent customer service. I would think that a small drop of Rocksett on the threads between the mount and the silencer body would do the trick without locking it on too tight, but ask their advice first, they might have a better idea.

Last edited by Theohazard; January 28, 2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old January 28, 2018, 08:11 PM   #3
Mobuck

This happens often with our Harvestor(s). I(we) don't remove the suppressors except to clean the host's bore so not that much of an issue.
Old January 29, 2018, 08:24 PM   #4
Captains1911

Silencerco recommended a small amount of red loctite or rockset on the direct thread mount. I’ve never used either, any recommendations on what might be better?
Old January 30, 2018, 01:16 AM   #5
Theohazard

I have more experience using Rocksett since that’s what you use when mounting silencer muzzle devices, so that’s what I’d use. It’s a high-temp thread locking compound, but it’s not permanent. Enough torque (adding heat if needed) will break it free.

I’d recommend using one small drop at first. Give it a day or two to dry, and if the mount still comes loose when taking the silencer off use two drops next time. And so on. The key is not to use more Rocksett than you need, since it will be a real pain to take the mount off if you use too much.

Last edited by Theohazard; January 30, 2018 at 01:23 AM.