View Poll Results: First SBR
.300 BLK 16 44.44%
5.56 10 27.78%
9mm 11 30.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 6, 2016, 09:05 AM   #1
wilkerr1

Poll on SBR

I just got my Silencerco Omega 7.62/30 Cal suppressor out of Jail yesterday. I want to stock up on my NFA items before the July change. Tomorrow, I will be heading out to my dealer to get on the jail waiting list for a 9mm AAC Illusion. I want to add a SBR to my collection, but not sure which one I should get first for recreational purposes only. A 9mm, 300BLK or 5.56. If all of you old and existing SBR users was just starting out with the knowledge you have now, which would be the first one you would buy?
Old March 6, 2016, 12:07 PM   #2
Sharkbite

I have one of each

Heres my take...

300blk is AWESOME in a SBR package, but its a reloaders deal. Factory ammo is running just under $1 per round for plinking fodder and up to 2x that for SD ammo

556/223 is not as pleasant to shoot out of a short barrel. Ive had 7.5", 10.5", 11.5" and a 14.5" guns. They get louder and more muzzle blast the shorter you go. There is also a corresponding loss of velocity as the barrel gets shorter. I would NEVER recommend one under 10.5" in this caliber.

9mm does not have the power any of the rifle rounds does, but for a range plinker that doesnt matter. Cheap and readily available ammo, make this the best "shooter" IMHO.

Full disclosure... I run my suppressed 9" 300blk WAY more then my 556 or 9mm guns, but i reload for it and accecpt the additional cost of the caliber. As a HD/SD/Civil unrest gun, its my pick of the litter. Better terminal ballistics out of the short tubes then any of the others. The ability to just swap mags and run subsonic ammo SUPER quietly and still hit hard wins me over.

A 556 gun would be my 2nd choice. Even suppressed it going to be loudest of the bunch and with the really short tubes the round suffers ballistically.

9mm with 147gn is nice and quiet thru my cans, but its a pretty limited ctg at any distance at all.

Hope i confused the issue enough
Old March 6, 2016, 02:32 PM   #3
Mobuck

"A 9mm, 300BLK or 5.56."

Given those choices, the only answer is 300AAC.
Old March 6, 2016, 03:43 PM   #4
tgreening

Philosophically or realistically? As mentioned the 300 is practically designed for suppression, where the 5.56 not so much, but sourcing ammo is the rub.

If you're of the SHTF mentality then suppressed performance doesn't matter much if you can't find ammo for it. 5.56 will be laying all over the place, more or less, so while louder and poorer performing it will be available. I like 9mm because it's cheap, easy to get, and works fine in a compact package in HD or close range work. I figure if I need to reach out and really touch somebody, I got time to run instead.
Old March 6, 2016, 05:40 PM   #5
Theohazard

I voted 5.56. The reasoning is the same that I used when buying my 5.56 LMT 10.3" SBR:

1) There are far more options available in 5.56 SBRs than any other caliber.
2) 5.56 ammo is cheap and plentiful
3) 5.56 still gives good short- to medium-range performance out of a 10" barrel with the right ammo (and it will still be a lot more effective than 9mm).

I plan to buy a 300 Blackout upper for better suppressed performance with my 7.62 silencer, but I'm starting off with 5.56 because ammo is much cheaper so I can afford to shoot it more.
Old March 6, 2016, 06:13 PM   #6
wilkerr1

Thanks for the input everyone, keep it coming. With the reviews I'm starting to lean towards 300 AAC, but haven't decided yet. Maybe I will just get two receivers and submit form 1s before July. Atleast I would have them ready to build without having to do finger prints etc for my trust.
Old March 6, 2016, 06:46 PM   #7
Chainsaw.

Guess it depends on what purpose it serves. If its just for fun id go 9mm for cheap cheap fun. If it might see hunting or if you dare self defense/ home defense then definitely 300. Personally I wouldn't ever sbr 223/556.
Old March 6, 2016, 08:19 PM   #8
raimius

.300blk, if your budget allows. It is designed for SBR and suppressor use.

If you get an AR-15, you can run 5.56 on the same lower.
Old March 13, 2016, 09:29 AM   #9
wilkerr1

To All that contributed. A BIG THANKS. I decided on the 300BLK. So, submitted my Form 1 for it on a Spikes Lower (less hope the Lower is good) never had a spikes lower before. Also, sent a form 4 in for a 9mm Silencerco Octane HD9. I figure I'd better get all my NFA stuff done before July. It is a shame to admit, but I'm kind of grateful the NFA made changes, it gave me the GREEN LIGHT from the wife when I mentioned I would have to drag her in to get finger printed, pictured, and back ground checks performed every two years.
Old March 13, 2016, 11:45 PM   #10
Machineguntony

I was a 300 BLK hater, but I've succumbed to the 300 BLK fad. I have an inbound RDIAS that I am going to use with a 11.5 inch 300 BLK.

I also have an inbound Dillon 1050, 50,000 plated bullets, and a bullet drop for 300 BLK.

I'm still not convinced that in five years, 300 BLK will be a common round.

The main thing going against 300 BLK is that the factory ammo cost is absurd, and is probably hurting adoption by the general public. Reloaded with plated bullets, 300 BLK costs the same as reloaded FMJ 223. The cost of factory 300 BLK ammo has to come down if it's going to last.

I hope 300 BLK doesn't go the way of 300 whisper. Anyone remember that fad?
Old March 14, 2016, 06:54 AM   #11
GE-Minigun

REALLY?! Get stripper AR lower and send in the Form 1...pick a caliber and call it a day. Add whatever upper you want at a later date and change at your hearts content...

People make it WAY HARDER than it needs to be!!!

I'm a dealer and SOT holder and I get an email at least once a week asking the same thing...
Old March 14, 2016, 12:58 PM   #12
TMD

^^^^This^^^^

I currently have two lowers on a form 1 and three uppers. There's really no need for the second one and I guess I did it so my wife and I can shoot them at the same time. Other than that the second one was a waste of two bills. I'm sure though one of these days I'll toss away another $200 and SBR a third lower for one reason only. Because I can.
Old March 19, 2016, 02:07 AM   #13
kcub

I voted 5.56 because the other two choices are 100% worthless to me. I am getting an Arsenal 5.56 SLR-106UR-SBR.

http://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/SLR-106UR-SBR.html

Here is an interesting article on sbr 5.56 coupled with hunting ammo as a hd / pd combo.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....ting-ammo-quot
Old March 19, 2016, 02:16 AM   #14
kcub

Quote:
It is a shame to admit, but I'm kind of grateful the NFA made changes, it gave me the GREEN LIGHT from the wife when I mentioned I would have to drag her in to get finger printed, pictured, and back ground checks performed every two years.
Why finger print every 2 years? It's that a trust thing only?
Old March 19, 2016, 11:02 AM   #15
wilkerr1

Yes KClub, it's a trust thing. All members on trust has to get finger printed/ passport photo'd once every two years as nfa items are purchased after the July deadline. I'm sure I will buy atleast one more nfa item after July but for now I'm trying to get all my nfa items before the changes come into effect.
Old March 22, 2016, 05:59 PM   #16
FloridaGuy

I just converted my CZ Scorpion to a SBR and should get my stamp this week for a SBR in 300AAC. Both are going to be suppressed as soon as the suppressor's are approved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (143.7 KB, 23 views)

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old March 24, 2016, 07:07 AM   #17
mdsuccer

Quote:
Yes KClub, it's a trust thing.
No, it is not "a trust thing". After July 13, every non-licensee will have to submit photos and fingerprint cards every time they apply for a transfer or registration of a NFA item.
Old March 24, 2016, 10:52 AM   #18
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsuccer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkerr1
Yes KClub, it's a trust thing.
No, it is not "a trust thing". After July 13, every non-licensee will have to submit photos and fingerprint cards every time they apply for a transfer or registration of a NFA item.
Yes, it is "a trust thing". If you look at the original quote by wilkerr1 in post #9, you can see he was specifically referring to his wife having to get photographed and fingerprinted also. She wouldn't need to do that if he filed as an individual.

Also, you don't have to do the fingerprint/photograph thing every time if you're using a trust, you only need to do it once and then you can buy as many NFA items as you want for two years after that. After two years passes, you need to do it again the next time you buy an NFA item, and then it's good for another two years. The only way you'd have to do it every time is if you're not using a trust and you're filing as an individual.