The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 16, 2018, 11:38 PM   #1
PlatinumCore16

Mini14 Sight

So, I've got a hankering for a mini 14, no good reason, don't need to discuss it's pros or cons, that's been done. What I would like advice on is what to put on top. Due to the nature of its accuracy, I'm thinking a 2MOA red dot or smaller, but will that be enough for 150-200yd/m maximum (unless I got the unicorn mini that prints sub MOA groups) on yotes, prairie dogs, or other small game giving decreased range for size of target vs. real accuracy of the gun in question?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old January 18, 2018, 12:59 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...got a hankering for a Mini 14..." That is a reason.
A 2MOA red dot will cover the entire black on a standard sighting in target. I'd put a low magnification, like 1X-4X 24mm scope on it.
Weaver Kaspa or Burris MTAC.(you can have skull graphics on it. snicker. Not exactly inexpensive though. MSRP is $515. $299.00 for a Fullfield II Tac 30 at Cabela's.) Both are 1x-4X x 24 .
Old January 18, 2018, 06:29 PM   #3
turkeestalker

Mr. O'Heir is right, a red dot is not exactly the right optic for accuracy at a distance.
That said, I used a very affordable Millet 1x24mm-3MOA on my Mini 14 and love it.
It suits the rifle's capabilities just fine and fits nicely in the factory Ruger rings with the sun shade installed.
It's a dandy set up that would serve fine on coyotes I'm certain, prairie dogs may be a challenge but maybe not, haven't tried it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180118_171846362.jpg (238.4 KB, 157 views)
Old January 19, 2018, 02:25 AM   #4
bamaranger

small targets

I'd think a dot on small varmint type targets would be the wrong choice for a Mini. I agree that a compact conventional 'scope is likely the right path. Something like a 2x7x32 or 3x9x36 would be sized right, and take advantage of the flat trajectory of the .223, and whatever accuracy your Mini might have to offer. A fixed 4x might leave you wanting more magnification.

Be advised the Mini is known as a 'scope basher. When you buy, spend some extra money to get some durability.
Old January 19, 2018, 08:00 AM   #5
PlatinumCore16

Thank you all for the advice, I will have to think on it more. I was also thinking that putting a flip-away magnifier might give me the zoom I need.

Bama, thank you for the direct advice on the scope integrity. I'll be sure to take that into account.

This is still for budgeting purposes only (right now), so any and all information is helpful.