The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 24, 2013, 12:19 AM   #1
Devdev08

Remington 700 stock upgrade

I'm looking to buy a remington 700 sps in 308 and I want to know what stock to upgrade to as the one that comes with it to put it nicely is crap looking for one within about $200 I will be using this rifle for hunting and paper shooting thanks in advance
Old November 24, 2013, 12:49 AM   #2
big al hunter

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ has many stocks for the 700. All of them are 10 times better than the original stock. And about $100. Enter the info on the site to see your options.
Old November 24, 2013, 01:17 AM   #3
Devdev08

Those were good I'll think about it but I think I want a synthetic stock I've thaught about the bell and Carlson but maybe if I could find one used for a nice price one I get my 700 as there a bit expensive but I love the look

Last edited by Devdev08; November 24, 2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old November 24, 2013, 08:32 AM   #4
cryogenic419

I've got a 700 SPS Varmint and while the original stock did OK, once I put on a HS Precision on it became a whole new rifle in a good way. Groups got tighter, more consistant. The gun was slightly heavier due to the aluminum bedding block but nothing to worry about. Its a little out of the $200 price range for new ones, but if you find various places where they have 700P stocks that people swapped out for different ones you may be able to score a good deal on one. Bell and Carlson also make some good stocks. With all the Black Friday sales about to hit you may do well to keep your eyes peeled over the next week or so and check some of the major places like Brownells, Midway, Cabelas, etc. I know I ordered mine around this time of year and it was because they sent me a save 20 or 30% off coupon, so I found one on sale, applied that code and it knocked a huge chunk of the price down.

That rifle has the capability to perform very well and with a few tweaks here and there like a new stock and really good ammo, it can keep up with the best of them.
Old November 25, 2013, 01:59 PM   #5
jmr40

With a $200 budget you are better off keeping the stock that comes on the rifle. Those stocks aren't the best looking and just say "CHEAP". But they work about as well as anything. I have 4 rifles in McMillan Edge stocks. They are a $500-$600 stock, are about 1/2 lb lighter than factory and do look nice. But none of the rifles shot a bit better after changing. I don't spend money on a better stock unless the rifle proves it is a shooter. Then I do it only because I like the lighter weight, looks and feel of the better stocks.

At around $250 one of the B&C Medalist stocks is a decent stock. Don't waste your money on the Carbelite, TI, or Alaskan models. They look nice, but without the aluminum block built into them are quite weak and break easily. The Medalist have an aluminum block in them to give them some strength, but it adds a lot of weight. On a varmit/tactical rifle where weight is not an issue they are not a bad choice. Some hunt with them, but they are far heavier than factory and not for me.

The HS-Precision stocks are built exactly the same way as B&C Medalist. They are no better or worse, just about $100 more. They are offered for more models so it might be easier to find one that fits some guns that are not offered by B&C.

I'd advise buying the rifle and shooting it for at least a year before doing anything. You'll probably learn to like it just fine. If not save your money until you can afford something that truly is better, not just looks better.
Old November 25, 2013, 02:44 PM   #6
john843

EXACTLY what jmr40 said!
Old November 25, 2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Devdev08

I figured it out gander mountain sells there used remington 700s for $400 and then I can get one and buy the b@c stock my budget for everything was around $800 And once I get everything I want I'll actually be at around $700 and sorry I can be stuck in my ways sometimes

Last edited by Devdev08; November 25, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old November 25, 2013, 05:59 PM   #8
Chad.C

Boyd's gunstocks I haven't heard a bad thing about them and am 99% positive I'm gonna get one of their stocks for my 10/22
Old November 28, 2013, 02:39 AM   #9
ronl

I definitely second the B&C Medalist stocks. I put one on my 700 and it tightened up the groups immediately. Just be sure to properly torque the action in the stock.