The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 4, 2018, 11:23 AM   #1
marcooool

Savage Mark II 22LR - Scope needs to be zeroed with different ammo

I wonder if anyone has similar experience. I recently bought my first firearm, a Savage Mark II G .22LR rifle (of course I own more now:-). I put a OK 3x9 scope on it and had it zeroed. I only have access to an indoor range so 25yd is the longest I can try. I mainly shot with CCI Standard Velocity as I heard it's very accurate. It turns out to be true as I can do about 5 shots 1/3" group after 500-600 rounds practice. Yesterday I did nice group and then ran out of CCI SV so I tried CCI Blazer and CCI High velocity. I'd say they are fine with 1/2" group but each of the two kinds grouped in separate areas that are about 1-2 inch away from where I shot with CCI SV. Is this normal? Is there anyone with similar experience? It doesn't make sense to me that I will have to zero the scope every time I switch to another ammo.

Btw, the barrel hasn't been cleaned with ~500 rd through it as I want to see if dirty barrel would affect accuracy or not. Thanks
Old January 4, 2018, 11:54 AM   #2
emcon5

That is expected, and completely normal.
Old January 4, 2018, 12:02 PM   #3
Capt Rick Hiott

,,,,,,"I will have to zero the scope every time I switch to another ammo."

Emcon5 is right.

Yes you will,,,You have to do that with any size caliber (Not just a 22) when you change ammo.....
Old January 4, 2018, 12:20 PM   #4
RC20

Yes.

Look at your ammo speed. If they are all sub sonic, they will group close but not in the same spot.

If you shift from sub to 1250, there will be a significant shift of POI.

Same with 1250 to hot stingers.
Old January 4, 2018, 12:48 PM   #5
marcooool

This is new to me. Thanks for sharing.
Old January 4, 2018, 01:12 PM   #6
spacemanspiff

There is another method if you do not wish to entirely re-zero when you change to a different ammo.
Take a notebook with you when you shoot. Zero the ammo that gives you the best groups. Then without adjusting the scope, shoot the other samples of ammo. Document where the Point of Impact is, and since you are shooting at a set distance of 25 yards, it should be easy to determine where you need to put the cross hairs when you switch ammo types.

Another option on re-zeroing is to document how many clicks of the scope knobs it takes you to get where you need to be. Could cut down on the amount of shots you need to take and adjustments made to get POI to POA.
Old January 4, 2018, 02:25 PM   #7
CDR_Glock

Savage Mark II 22LR - Scope needs to be zeroed with different ammo

Absolutely makes sense. Any time I change from one brand to another, I have to re-zero. Powder varies from one maker to another and your point of impact will depend upon the velocity and the weight of the bullet.

I have 12000 rounds of 22 LR and I don’t alternate from one box of one brand to another, though it only takes me 2-3 shots to zero on a lead sled:

1) Fire the first shot.
2) Keeping the Rifle still, I move the reticle to the point of impact, I’m usually dead on for the second shot, or I will have to move the reticle the same way for the 3rd shot.

Same goes for handguns when I’m using a red dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old January 4, 2018, 10:26 PM   #8
3Crows

Yes, you have to re-zero with an ammo change. This is as true in a 22LR as it would be in a 45-70 or a .308.
Old January 5, 2018, 08:06 AM   #9
JL Wesson

I also started with a Savage Mark II 22lr. Mine is an F. Great gun!
I have the same effect when changing brand or kind of ammo.
After testing a lot of brands I had the best results with Fiocchi Winter (those intended for olimpic biathlon). A kind of expensive but very accurate up to 200mt.
Not that I think I will ever get to the olimpic games but at 200mt it was really satisfactory to stay in the "10" with all shots.
Old January 5, 2018, 04:32 PM   #10
marcooool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL Wesson View Post
I also started with a Savage Mark II 22lr. Mine is an F. Great gun!
I have the same effect when changing brand or kind of ammo.
After testing a lot of brands I had the best results with Fiocchi Winter (those intended for olimpic biathlon). A kind of expensive but very accurate up to 200mt.
Not that I think I will ever get to the olimpic games but at 200mt it was really satisfactory to stay in the "10" with all shots.
I agree with you, JL. For the price Mark II is definitely a great gun. I wish I could have 200M range to try but all I got is 25yd. I just bought a CZ455 and plan to use it to learn iron sight. My eyes are not very good with the dimmed lighting in the range, 25yd is already very challenging.
Old January 5, 2018, 06:16 PM   #11
Blindstitch

Find an ammo you like and stick with it. But in a shortage ammo can be hard to find so pick up a few extra boxes of something different. Then take all the ammo to the range and shoot a target with multiple bullseyes. Then label how each shot and take a picture for reference. I have some ammo that shoots the same out of a few guns and others that just don't follow the script. But I know.
Old January 5, 2018, 08:58 PM   #12
3Crows

I have two Savage Mark II rifles, both in 22LR and target type barrels. They are extremely accurate. They shoot all types of ammo well from the standard velocity CCI, MinMags, Quiet and a few others and group well with all of them, but group differently with each.
Old January 6, 2018, 12:35 PM   #13
doofus47

+1: It's normal.
There's a different velocity and the copper cover on the high velocity rounds engages the rifling a bit differently as well.

1/3" is wowzers good. Nice shooting.
Old January 7, 2018, 07:06 AM   #14
Picher

Although different ammo types tend to hit at slightly different places, sometimes the rifle is to blame. If the barrel is fully free-floated, it tends to place groups from various ammo velocities in a vertical direction. However, if the barrel is touching the barrel channel, the impact change could be greater and in more of a diagonal direction.

I like my barrels to be at least 1/16" clear of the channel, especially near the forend tip. Sandpaper wrapped in a dowel and worked back and forth can increase clearance.
Old January 7, 2018, 07:55 AM   #15
243winxb

Quote:
barrel hasn't been cleaned
The difference in bullet lube ,between brands , can make a difference in point of bullet inpact. As much as 2" @ 50 yards. After 10 shot, it comes back closer to the first ammo group.

With no cleaning , a minimum of 10 fouling shots may be required till the new ammo starts grouping.

Going from standard velocity to high velocity may always have a different point of impact.
Old January 8, 2018, 09:40 AM   #16
jmr40

I shoot several types of ammo and don't normally re-zero. The point of impact is slightly different, but usually only the elevation. The slower "target" ammo usually hits slightly lower on the target than standard ammo. But at 50 yards or less the difference is around 1" or so and I can compensate easily enough if I know which ammo is in the rifle. I just zero for the ammo I use most and adjust my hold for other ammo.

It is possible, but less common, for some ammo to hit right or left of where you are zeroed. If you're going to use that ammo then you'd need to re-zero. Or just don't use that ammo. Once you figure out what shoots best, at a price you will pay, stock up on that type of ammo.

Once you start shooting beyond 50 yards the difference starts to show up. I shoot 22's at 100, 200, and at times as far as 250 yards. At those ranges the difference is huge.

Winston Churchill
Old January 8, 2018, 09:46 AM   #17
AverageJo

I blame the kids!!
Old January 8, 2018, 10:00 AM   #18
NoSecondBest

I've got some targets around here somewhere that show some interesting results. I took ten different types of ammo to my range and shot five shot groups with each type off the bench at fifty yards. I'd just gotten a new CZ 455 and wanted to see what shot best in it. Every one of those different ammo brands/wts. hit to a different POI. Some were very close, within a half inch. Some were as far as two inches off! I've known for years that they didn't hit to the exact same POI, but it really showed up that day when I shot all those and compared them. I usually test and measure ammo to determine what a particular gun likes and then just use it. Every gun has a distinct preference.
Old January 8, 2018, 04:57 PM   #19
marcooool

Thanks for all of your sharing. Shooting is so much fun and the support from online forum is always friendly.

I had another observation: when I do the first shot in the range, the POI is always way off from the rest shots. I get it due to the cold barrel or cleaned barrel. However, even after 20-30rd and I start to get nice grouping, the first shot after each reload still has a high probability of poor POI. Let's say it's could be 0.75 inch away from the rest where they have a good 1/2" grouping. Is it due to my developing shooting skills (ie, lack of cheek weld) or something else?
Old January 8, 2018, 08:26 PM   #20
ThomasT

I would suggest you clean your rifle with solvent and a bore brush. And not a bore snake. I have a Ruger 77/22 that will put 10 shots in 5/8" at 50 yards. I fired 400 shots and it started spreading the groups out badly. I ran a brush down the barrel from the rear and just in front of the chamber it felt like I pushed a wad of wax or powder or something out the barrel. A few more passes and it was shooting the same excellent groups.

And its normal for different loads to shoot different points of impact just like the others have already stated. Find an ammo your gun likes and shoots well and buy a bunch of it with the same lot number.
Old January 8, 2018, 08:38 PM   #21
2damnold4this

+1 on finding the ammo that groups the best and buying a large amount of it. Assuming you don't live in California.
Old January 8, 2018, 09:42 PM   #22
marcooool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratshooter View Post
I would suggest you clean your rifle with solvent and a bore brush. And not a bore snake. I have a Ruger 77/22 that will put 10 shots in 5/8" at 50 yards. I fired 400 shots and it started spreading the groups out badly. I ran a brush down the barrel from the rear and just in front of the chamber it felt like I pushed a wad of wax or powder or something out the barrel. A few more passes and it was shooting the same excellent groups.

And its normal for different loads to shoot different points of impact just like the others have already stated. Find an ammo your gun likes and shoots well and buy a bunch of it with the same lot number.
Thanks. I do use carbon fiber rod and nylon brush to clean and also think adding a bore guide to further protect.

Let me clarify, when I refer to the first shot after reload, I do use the same ammo but the first shot is always not well grouped with the rest shots. As it's the same ammo, I think it could be my own shooting problem.
Old January 8, 2018, 09:44 PM   #23
marcooool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2damnold4this View Post
+1 on finding the ammo that groups the best and buying a large amount of it. Assuming you don't live in California.
I live in Ontario, Canada. There are not many kinds of 22LR available but CCI HV/SV always have good supply, running from 0.06 to 0.08 per round in USD.
Old January 9, 2018, 08:50 AM   #24
NoSecondBest

Quote:
I live in Ontario, Canada. There are not many kinds of 22LR available but CCI HV/SV always have good supply, running from 0.06 to 0.08 per round in USD
I shot a lot of competition for many years with both rifle and handgun. Over that time I've tested every brand of ammo available. I can tell you for a fact that CCI SV will shoot 95% as well as the best Eley, RWS, and other premium ammo at half the cost. I shot the premium stuff at big shoots, but I practiced with the CCI and I got really good results with it in every gun I owned. It was never the best stuff, but it was always very good. You're not handicapped if that's all that's available.
Old January 21, 2018, 01:27 PM   #25
Picher

What do you want to do with your rifle, just shoot from the bench, use it for plinking, offhand shooting, hunting? I've shot a lot of .22s from the bench, both testing ammo and in competition, but have shot a lot more offhand and hunting. Offhand shooting with a good sporter, either hunting or target practice on metal silhouettes, etc. is much more fun and great practice for turkey shoots and hunting.

At 50 yards, I can usually keep all my offhand shots under 2", at 50 feet, I've made groups under 1/2 and regularly shoot at postal stickers, which are about 5/8", though I'm getting worse instead of better at my age.

To make the most out of the .22LR when hunting and plinking, I zero at about 50 yards and anything shot within that range is in deep do-do. I don't usually see small game beyond 50 yards in the woods and the killing power drops off considerably at 100, not to mention scary wind deflection.