The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 24, 2018, 10:48 AM   #1
Ghost22

Federal Ammo Rebate Scam

I just got my rejection notice for the Federal American Eagle 55 gr rebate, even thought I went through all the hoops with the form and UPCs. So buyer beware; these rebates may not honored and you try to rip you off for $50. Of course they the third party rebate company holds bankers so hours so I won't be able to argue with them until Monday.
Old February 24, 2018, 10:57 AM   #2
gc70

Be careful to watch for any mail from "American Eagle." The rebate check does not come in a regular envelope, but is one of the multi-folded pieces of paper with perforations where you have to tear off the edges.
Old February 24, 2018, 11:46 AM   #3
Dr. A

I got my rebate check the other day. I'm not generally privy to such things, so I had to pay close attention to detail in order to fulfill all requirements for the rebate. Best of luck getting them ironed out!
Old February 25, 2018, 04:47 PM   #4
reynolds357

Its not a scam. The rebate works if you follow the instructions to the letter.
Old February 25, 2018, 06:32 PM   #5
erichard

got mine as well. I will say in years past, I've had a lot of aggravation from rebate companies, who have been known to be scammers essentially, for sure.

I've had success with Federal, Remington, S&W and others to great savings. Each of these recent ones allowed you to enter the info online and then send in the proof. I think that way helps ensure that they approve it with little delay. It's harder to scam something that has all the info already entered. You have to look around how to find the online entry page because it's not always on the form or whatever.

On the ammo, you need to make sure you have the UPC code that matches what is on sale, and turn in all of them. If they allow the UPC code off the case, that makes it easy, but that is not always the case. They want to make sure someone isn't double dipping (send in case UPC and then box UPC for double the true amount deserved), so there's only one UPC/Bar code that works.
Old February 25, 2018, 07:25 PM   #6
peterg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
Its not a scam. The rebate works if you follow the instructions to the letter.

Yeah except not all ammo applies, I bought AE .45 Colt logged into website and after entering my info I put in UPC number and got a denial. Said this ammo not eligible for rebate a fact they fail to mention in add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 25, 2018, 08:28 PM   #7
Pathfinder45

I hate rebates. They are usually for just a few dollars and oftentimes get lost in the shuffle until they expire. They need to be at least worth $20.00 or forget about it.
Old February 26, 2018, 03:25 AM   #8
gshayd

I got a rebate form Thompson Center and almost shredded it because it is in one of the envelopes where you have to rip the edges off. Good thing I looked.
Old February 26, 2018, 10:26 AM   #9
ilmonster

Mine seemed to work too. I did have to cut the UPC's off of each 20 rd box in a case that I bought, but they did send me the rebate in a few weeks. Quite a good deal. And yes, a real pain cutting 50 UPC's for a case of ammo!
Old February 26, 2018, 11:30 AM   #10
Fishbed77

Got my rebate check with no problems.
Old February 28, 2018, 05:30 PM   #11
rpseraph

Rebates are a trap... do it perfectly and you'll get your rebate as promised in 6-8 weeks That is why I never do rebates, because I get lazy and forget or do it wrong!
Old March 2, 2018, 10:33 PM   #12
reynolds357

Quote:
Yeah except not all ammo applies, I bought AE .45 Colt logged into website and after entering my info I put in UPC number and got a denial. Said this ammo not eligible for rebate a fact they fail to mention in add.
I am sure there was some fine print somewhere.
Old March 3, 2018, 12:50 AM   #13
bfoosh006

Ghost22... exactly what was the explanation as to why your rebate was denied ?

We should be able clear this up pretty easily. The instructions are clear enough.
Old March 3, 2018, 05:02 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I hate rebates. They are usually for just a few dollars and oftentimes get lost in the shuffle until they expire. They need to be at least worth $20.00 or forget about it.
I have three rules for rebates:
1. Read the fine print (before buying).
2. Follow the instructions precisely.
3. Take care of it immediately. (Having to wait on a internet/catalog order to arrive, in order get the UPC can cause some delay...)

Yes, some can be annoying. But it's well worth the effort, even if only for a couple dollars at a time.

I'd say a conservative estimate of rebates that I claimed last year totaled at least $450 ('cash'), plus about $300-400 in store credit, merchandise cards, pre-paid credit cards, and gift cards.
And that's not counting the Hornady "free" bullets 'rebates', since I had to pay S&H for them.

I will be honest and point out that some of the stores that I shop at make it incredibly easy, though. Take your receipt, pull up the store's website, enter the transaction number, provide your personal information, and a check (or card) arrives three to fifty six weeks later.
Old March 4, 2018, 01:53 AM   #15
JoeSixpack

I called them before submitting my 5.56 ammo rebate.

I had 3 receipts, 1 online and 2 from local retailers, the people who answered the phone seemed pretty "chill" about the whole thing.

What reason did they give? unless you missed the deadline or something major.

Im not expecting mine for another month (late entry "jan") but I think I already got a email saying it was approved.. hmm..
Old March 4, 2018, 05:31 PM   #16
Bottom Gun

I don’t like rebates. I’ve only gotten about half of the rebates I’ve sent in for and that has created some hard feelings. In some cases, I’ve ended up later boycotting the product that didn’t honor the rebate.
If a seller wants to make his product more attractive to purchase, why not simply discount the price, offer free shipping, etc instead of making your customers jump through the rebate hoop?
In the past, I’ve passed up products that offer rebates and bought a different brand without a rebate simply because I didn’t want to deal with the hassle and the uncertainty of a rebate in order to get a decent price.
Rebates are not a good practice.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old March 4, 2018, 05:37 PM   #17
WVsig

It worked for me. 2 for the rifle ammo and 1 for the pistol. Maxed both out. Just submitted for the ammo bag and T-Shirt. Did them online and got them in about 6-8 weeks.
Old March 4, 2018, 07:55 PM   #18
CLYA

My last three rebates of $50,100, and 75 from gun purchases went without a hitch. I'd say they were worth it. Do need to watch for those tear the end off envelopes, though. Even a rebate from some archery targets worked out. I didn't always believe in rebates, but my wife always does the store coupons, a few online contests, and helps me follow through. I just hate paperwork. However, two years ago, she actually won a $1000 check through one of those contests. I figured she'd never get the check, but she did.

P.S. she did the paper work on the rebates, and ended up with the checks too.