The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 2, 2023, 02:08 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

Quick pick bolt gun.

So i had an interesting question today from friend. Hes in the law enforcement field, and is a gun enthusiasts/collector.

Question, A bolt action rifle, capable of 1000yds and being effective on 2 legged threats. $1000 or less not including optics or extras. Needs to be 100% good to go out of the box except for glass.

My reccomendation was a savage 110 in 308. Common gun, good parts available in case of repairs. Common cartridge, capable of 1000 supersonic with proper bullet selection.

What would you reccomended as a, good to go off the shelf rifle, with those criteria?
Old June 2, 2023, 05:05 PM   #2
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
So i had an interesting question today from friend. Hes in the law enforcement field, and is a gun enthusiasts/collector.

Question, A bolt action rifle, capable of 1000yds and being effective on 2 legged threats. $1000 or less not including optics or extras. Needs to be 100% good to go out of the box except for glass.

My reccomendation was a savage 110 in 308. Common gun, good parts available in case of repairs. Common cartridge, capable of 1000 supersonic with proper bullet selection.

What would you reccomended as a, good to go off the shelf rifle, with those criteria?
Jon, mine would be the same. That being said, he could also get a good rifle and drop it into an Oryx Chassis. My choice would be a Ruger American in an Oryx. Couple of bolts and buy and AICS mag. My Ruger is the most accurate rifle I have. Not exactly out of the box, but would actually be a couple hundred cheaper. Also, the Magpul Hunter is a really good stock for long range shooting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger American 143 Bondstrike 42.9 H4350_Upload.jpg (60.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger American4.jpg (510.3 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by USAF Ret; June 2, 2023 at 05:19 PM.
Old June 2, 2023, 08:52 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
Jon, mine would be the same. That being said, he could also get a good rifle and drop it into an Oryx Chassis. My choice would be a Ruger American in an Oryx. Couple of bolts and buy and AICS mag. My Ruger is the most accurate rifle I have. Not exactly out of the box, but would actually be a couple hundred cheaper. Also, the Magpul Hunter is a really good stock for long range shooting.
Both are great stocks.

I really consider the ruger American. However i felt availability of aftermarket accessories, triggers, stocks, chassis, barrels for the 110 was better in case he decided he really liked long range shooting and wanted to go forward with it. I hope the ruger American catches up, but i just dont feel its quite there yet.
Old June 2, 2023, 09:28 PM   #4
stagpanther

Savages are also sort of the "ARs of bolt guns"--highly adaptable to modification and customization, my platform of choice for builds.
Old June 3, 2023, 07:25 PM   #5
taylorce1

Quote:
Question, A bolt action rifle, capable of 1000yds and being effective on 2 legged threats. $1000 or less not including optics or extras. Needs to be 100% good to go out of the box except for glass
Two totally different rifles IMO. .308 is an easy button cartridge as there is a lot of info for shooting long range with it. The 1000 yd shooter, just about any varmint barrel rifle 24-26" barrel would be where I start. For 2 legged varmints I'd be looking at an AR-10/15.

Last edited by taylorce1; June 3, 2023 at 07:35 PM.
Old June 3, 2023, 11:29 PM   #6
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
Two totally different rifles IMO. .308 is an easy button cartridge as there is a lot of info for shooting long range with it. The 1000 yd shooter, just about any varmint barrel rifle 24-26" barrel would be where I start. For 2 legged varmints I'd be looking at an AR-10/15.
100%
Old June 4, 2023, 05:45 AM   #7
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
For some reason he specifically wanted a bolt gun. If i had to guess it cause thats one of the few things he does not have.
Old June 4, 2023, 08:18 AM   #8
ocharry

if i had to pick it would be the savage tactical rifle...one version of it..

out of the box...comes with a 20min rail..over size bolt handle...threaded heavy barrel...alum bedded stock..accu-trigger..accu stock...ready for glass

comes in 308..6.5CM annd 6.5PRC and maybe more now

very accurate

not taking a thing away from the 308...but i picked the 6.5 CM... and it is a nail driver....i have both the 308 and the 6.5.....i hardly ever shoot the 308 anymore...they both shoot VERY well

one word of caution......when you get the rifle go over ALL the bolt and screw torques....especially the scope rail screws

my .02

ocharry
Old June 4, 2023, 09:17 AM   #9
stagpanther

I know many will scoff at the suggestion--but out of the box doesn't need a thing to drill anything out to a mile--Savage 110 long range hunter in 338 lapua magnum. The best engineered Savage I've ever shot--and amazingly it can be had for just under $1K. Felt recoil is nothing near what people imagine in this particular rifle.
Old June 4, 2023, 10:00 AM   #10
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocharry
if i had to pick it would be the savage tactical rifle...one version of it..
The actual current Savage Tactical in .308 Win only comes with a 20" barrel. It'll be very hard to stay supersonic at 1000 yds with a 20" barrel. That's why I suggested a 24-26" barrel.

There are a lot of variables but you'll need at least a 175-180 grain bullet with a MV of 2450 fps to stay supersonic at 1000 yards at sea level. 168 grain match bullets will need significantly more MV to stay supersonic. Short barrels while not impossible, do make it more difficult to get necessary velocity.

I agree the 6.5 CM is easier long range cartridge than the .308 Win. When I went for a long range rifle I built a custom Savage in .243 Win with a 1:7 twist and shot 115 DTAC or Berger VLD bullets. Now I shoot a 6mm Creedmoor but only to about 400-600 yards anymore. I still choose the .308 Win for hunting suppressed over all others and have an 18" and 20" rifle for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther
I know many will scoff at the suggestion--but out of the box doesn't need a thing to drill anything out to a mile--Savage 110 long range hunter in 338 lapua magnum
Not scoffing, but ranges where most people can use that rifle are limited at best. Even you have mentioned that if you can't stretch the legs on that cartridge it is pointless to own. The smaller cartridges can be enjoyed at shorter ranges.

Last edited by taylorce1; June 4, 2023 at 10:09 AM.
Old June 4, 2023, 11:20 AM   #11
ocharry

taylorce1 is correct about the 308 and the 20" tube

my 308 is not a tactical model it is a fc or something like that..it is a 20" fat tube also..it is in a fancy stock that has a aluminum bedding block and it does shoot very well...i also agree the shorter tube could make it a little harder to stay supersonic at 1000...but my rifle loves the 175gr range bullets...especially the noslers

meanwhile my 6.5CM tactical has a 24" tube that is fluted...i picked that one because it was a few ozs lighter than the straight barreled version...but even at that, scoped up im guessing over 10#....maybe more.. the scope has a big tube and is a little heavy but oh so nice

i will say if i had bought the 6.5CM first...i prolly wouldnt have the 308....maybe i would....lol

but i find me picking up the CM most times i go out these days

ocharry
Old June 4, 2023, 03:43 PM   #12
MTT TL

Looks good to me:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ampaign=824083
Old June 4, 2023, 07:45 PM   #13
Recycled bullet

It is a pleasant rifle to shoot if you're wearing double hearing protection.
Old June 5, 2023, 07:24 PM   #14
RC20

I go with the 6.5 CM and the Savage as well.

Nicer to shoot and its going to do as good as a 308 given the same bullet type.
Old June 6, 2023, 07:50 AM   #15
MarkCO

There are about 5 different versions of Bergara in 6.5 CM I'd take over the Ruger and the Savage for under $1K. I have 3 of them and they have replaced a Ruger, Savage and a few Remington's. More accurate, Rem700 footprint, well made and great customer service. I'd go with a Ruger next.

The SA Waypoint 2000 is probably the best bang for the buck overall, but it is over $1K.
Old June 8, 2023, 11:36 AM   #16
jmr40

Tikka T3x. The standard version is all you need. I had a CTR for a while and found it no more accurate than my standard rifles. Not worth the added weight for me. I use the extended 5 round mags in both my 308 and 6.5 CM. Most rifle you can buy under $1000.

1000 yards is pushing the limits of 308, but it can be done with longer than standard barrels and handloads. With typical rifles and loads it starts running out of gas at around 800. If 800 is close enough 308 has a lot to offer.

6.5 is going to get you to 1000 easily and will almost always be more accurate. In 2023 ammo is just as easy to find as 308 and at roughly the same price

Winston Churchill
Old June 8, 2023, 02:01 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Swedish 96 infantry rifle. (the long barrel one).

Meets all the requirements stated (pretty sure you can still find one for under $1000 without glass or extras)

sights go to 2,000 meters, so you're good to go out of the box without optics there...

6.5x55mm Swede. Outstanding cartridge, excellent BC bullets, quite capable of being effective on 2 legged targets out to, and past 1,000 yards, if the shooter is!
Old June 8, 2023, 09:38 PM   #18
FrankenMauser

Bergara B14.
Pick a chambering suitable for the range.
Most of the options are fine.

Buy magazines as soon as they are available. They can be hard to get, due to demand by PRS shooters.
Old June 21, 2023, 05:35 PM   #19
Buckeye!

Before buying a Ruger American.. read reviews on a few Ruger Forums
Old June 21, 2023, 05:57 PM   #20
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Tikka T3x Lite Roughtech in 6.5 CM?
https://www.sako.global/rifle/t3x-lite-roughtech

I love my Tikka, smoothest action I've ever owned and one of my most accurate guns.

6.5CM beats .308 handily at 1,000 yards.
https://www.mcarbo.com/6-5-creedmoor...ics-chart.aspx
Old June 23, 2023, 05:45 PM   #21
Moloch

Howa 1500 varmint in either 20 or 24'' with threated barrel.
Quality completely blows most budget guns like Ruger and Savage out of the water, their barrels last long and are always very accurate, their actions are square at the bottom with a built in recoil lug making it much easier to bed than a Remington 700, trigger is match grade, all parts are machined steel, bluing is absolutely gorgeous.
It really feels like a much more expensive gun.
Old June 24, 2023, 11:32 AM   #22
taylorce1

@Brian Pfleuger, I hadn't visited this thread in awhile. I'd say the data that you linked is convincing at casual glance. Looking deeper it is a very poor comparison of the two cartridges and not a very good argument for the 6.5 Creedmoor over the .308.

Strictly target shooting I'd give it to the 6.5 Creedmoor hands down, but I still like the 6mm CM better for that. Hunting purposes the 6.5 loses a little of it's luster for me, especially if I'm not having to deal with the compounding effects of recoil over multiple shots like target shooting. Bullets of a similar BC and velocity, means very similar trajectory and drift, and then the heavier larger diameter bullet usually wins out for me on game larger than the average deer. Probably for many of the same reasons you've stuck to the 7-08 instead of transitioning to the 6.5 CM for hunting here in Colorado.

Last edited by taylorce1; June 24, 2023 at 07:11 PM.
Old June 24, 2023, 01:55 PM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

Not being involved with them, I don't know, but for those who are, is there anything (other than fit into an AR) that the modern 6.5s do that can't be done with the 6.5 Swede in a suitable rifle??
Old June 24, 2023, 03:40 PM   #24
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Not being involved with them, I don't know, but for those who are, is there anything (other than fit into an AR) that the modern 6.5s do that can't be done with the 6.5 Swede in a suitable rifle??
Less finicky to reload, longer case life, more available and cheaper factory ammo.

In most cases, the barrels (not a cartridge, but a rifle issue) are going to be twisted faster giving better long range ballistics with heavier, higher BC bullets.
Old June 24, 2023, 04:09 PM   #25
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Less finicky to reload, longer case life, more available and cheaper factory ammo.
I've never found the Swede to be finicky to reload. And since I do reload, the price of factory ammo isn't a huge concern to me.

Longer case life seems like an unquantifiable claim.

My real point here is that if you wanted to, you could rebarrel a Swede to the same twist and shoot the same long range bullets at the same approximate speed as the popular 6.5s today, and if you wanted max possible performance, simply barrel a modern bolt gun for the Swede round and handload it to higher pressure and velocity.

Even in its original trim with its 45K working pressure, the Swede is an amazing long range round, and definately works well for hunting. Put into a rifle suitable for 50-60Kpsi and with the twist for the long range slugs, I don't see how the Swede would dissappoint, other than its not "new" or "trendy".

And in such a rifle you could also use a 6.5-06 for a little more powder capacity and speed.

Guess I just don't get the appeal of the various "new" 6.5s.....