The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 30, 2023, 06:37 PM   #1
Polinese

Ream a 308 barrel to 300 wm

Per my previous mauser thread, I have an interarms mark x action I was originally going to build into a 308. Going so far as to buy a heavy barrel from green mountain barrels.

To save myself from buying another barrel, would a gunsmith be able to ream out the chamber on that 308 barrel to a 300 wm chamber?
Old May 30, 2023, 06:44 PM   #2
Scorch

Yes, no problem for even an amateur with a little bit of skill. The bolt face is going to need to be opened up as well. The 300 WinMag chamber is much larger than 308. The Green Mountain barrels are very nice to work with. 4D Reamer Rentals can get you a reamer. Cut it to length as a blank, face off the cut side, thread the breach (marked) end of the barrel to fit the action, chamber/headspace the barrel, crown the barrel, profile the barrel. Very simple if you have the proper tools.
Old May 30, 2023, 08:52 PM   #3
Polinese

Awesome I figured it would work, randomly occurred to me the other day it might be a possibility and puts me a lot closer to actually having this project worked on. Need a trigger, and the ptg bottom metal and I'll have all the pieces.

The barrel is already threaded, crowned etc just need to recut the chamber on it.
Old May 30, 2023, 10:42 PM   #4
tangolima

Chamber is bigger. Does the chamber wall still have enough meat left to hold the higher pressure?

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 31, 2023, 07:10 AM   #5
Polinese

It's a heavy barrel so I was thinking yes, but that's why I asked here. I know there's been plenty of mauser 98 actions in 300 with sporter barrels
Old May 31, 2023, 10:33 AM   #6
Jim Watson

Quote:
The bolt face is going to need to be opened up as well.
Won't it also need modification of the magazine and action rails for the bigger cartridge?
Old May 31, 2023, 10:34 AM   #7
Polinese

I'm planning on using some PTG bottom metal for aics mags, from what others have said that'll eliminate most if not all of the feed rail issues.
Old May 31, 2023, 07:53 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

The feed rails on a Mauser 98 action are part of the action itself, not the bottom metal. Typically the "bottom metal" only includes the trigger guard and magazine BOX, not the feed lips and may not include the magazine spring and follower.
Old May 31, 2023, 08:14 PM   #9
tangolima

I think the op is trying to replace the Mauser action feed lips with the ones on aics magazine. It is single stack mag if I understand it correctly.

-TL

Old May 31, 2023, 10:55 PM   #10
Polinese

Correct. My understanding was the feed rails would become mostly irrelevant when feeding from the aics mag.
Old June 1, 2023, 12:39 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

If one is installing a single stack magazine inside the Mauser box then the existing feed rails of the action should not matter as the single stack magazine will be narrower than the existing opening.
Old June 1, 2023, 02:37 PM   #12
Clemson

I would not recommend this conversion. There are a couple of reasons:
Yes, theoretically you could ream the chamber to .300 Win Mag. This photo shows a .300 Win Mag reamer with a .308 Winchester cartridge. As you may be able to tell, the reamer will begin cutting way before the pilot engages the bore of the barrel. That means that the reamer will be unsupported. That could cause a chamber that is not concentric with the bore or which may be too large at the rear, etc.
.300 Reamer by jakefromclemson, on Flickr

This photo shows a .300 Win Mag cartridge feeding into the throat of an unmodified Model 98 Mauser receiver. it hangs up with a couple of inches left to go. That is because you MUST open the feed rails to feed magnum cartridges so that the cartridge will feed up throught the bottom of the receiver. This is true whether you are using the original staggared box or an after-market single stack box. If the rifle is a controlled round feed action, the cartridge has to ride up under the extractor.
.300 FeedRails by jakefromclemson, on Flickr

Bill Jacobs
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old June 1, 2023, 03:00 PM   #13
Polinese

Ah thanks for the input!
Old June 1, 2023, 07:04 PM   #14
Scorch

Quote:
Won't it also need modification of the magazine and action rails for the bigger cartridge?
Maybe.

Not trying to sound elusive, but I've built a few rifles over the years, and people think they are much more precisely made than they actually are. I have opened up 98 Mausers that required feed lip modification and others that did not. Remember, a lot of people's favorite rifles were made before micrometers.
Old June 1, 2023, 07:52 PM   #15
tangolima

Things will become easier if you have access to a lathe. It would be a good idea to pre-drill the chamber to rough enlarged size before reaming.

-TL

Old June 2, 2023, 08:36 PM   #16
Polinese

I was just going to give it over to a gunsmith.
Old June 2, 2023, 09:27 PM   #17
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch
Remember, a lot of people's favorite rifles were made before micrometers.
A little older than you might think. Brown & Sharpe started marketing the first mass-produced micrometer about six years before the trapdoor Springfield was adopted by the U.S. Army.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle