The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

View Poll Results: Which caliber for a new AR Build to hunt and punch paper?
223 Wylde 2 12.50%
22 Nosler 0 0%
6MM ARC 4 25.00%
6.8 SPC 8 50.00%
300 HAM'R 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 10, 2023, 06:02 AM   #26
stagpanther

I made my ARC brass from grendel brass, pretty straightforward--but this is a challenging one to bite on for your first build. If you can find one--get a super-bolt and then get a depth gauge so you can accurately measure your fired brass to get an idea of what your shoulder set-back needs to be. That's the key, find the sweet spot that allows just enough expansion to seal but doesn't overwork the brass. the only other thing to watch out for might be where that neck thickness goes when you neck down, (I think a slight COL trim before sizing down is necessary), it can possibly result in a donut forming at the base of the neck. i've done wildcats from both grendel and 6.8spc brass--the 6.8spc being the tougher, better design overall IMO. Other than that--the only remaining challenge is keeping your grendel brass sorted from the ARC brass that you crafted.

Last edited by stagpanther; April 10, 2023 at 06:10 AM.
Old April 10, 2023, 07:10 AM   #27
taylorce1

I'd just buy loaded ammunition if no brass is available. Like I pointed out innanother post, it isn't ideal but it'll get it you started. 100 rounds of loaded ammunition will get a person started, and honestly a 6 ARC isn't going to be a high volume shooter. Just get a brass catcher so you don't have to chase down that hard to find brass.
Old April 10, 2023, 09:48 AM   #28
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I made my ARC brass from grendel brass, pretty straightforward--but this is a challenging one to bite on for your first build. If you can find one--get a super-bolt and then get a depth gauge so you can accurately measure your fired brass to get an idea of what your shoulder set-back needs to be. That's the key, find the sweet spot that allows just enough expansion to seal but doesn't overwork the brass. the only other thing to watch out for might be where that neck thickness goes when you neck down, (I think a slight COL trim before sizing down is necessary), it can possibly result in a donut forming at the base of the neck. i've done wildcats from both grendel and 6.8spc brass--the 6.8spc being the tougher, better design overall IMO. Other than that--the only remaining challenge is keeping your grendel brass sorted from the ARC brass that you crafted.
I will do just like I did with my Grendel. Get Hornady ammo. Shoot to break rifle in and reuse brass. Plus, I can reform the Grendel brass if needed.

I do have a brass catcher. Thank you sir.
Old April 10, 2023, 09:49 AM   #29
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Thank you sir.
Old April 10, 2023, 10:01 AM   #30
stagpanther

Good plan. BTW--I'm just another "netschmuck"--you do not need to call me sir as I do not believe I warrant that respect, "Stag" will do.
Old April 10, 2023, 11:36 AM   #31
USAF Ret

Retired military and southern. Muscle memory. Haha.
Old April 10, 2023, 04:08 PM   #32
jetinteriorguy

Not to muddy the waters, but have you looked the .277 Wolverine?
Old April 10, 2023, 04:59 PM   #33
603Country

On buying loaded ammo for the new caliber, that doesn’t always work out. I way overpaid for Hornady 6.5 Grendel ammo, but justified it by intending to reload the brass 4 or 5 times or more. When shooting the reloads the first time, the brass split and even shattered. Out of the 50 rounds I reloaded, 49 were not usable again. The Starline replacement brass is reloading fine.
Old April 11, 2023, 10:43 AM   #34
taylorce1

Quote:
Out of the 50 rounds I reloaded, 49 were not usable again.
I wouldn't have shot 49 out of 50 rounds to figure that out. If I had a couple cases rupture, I would have torn down the cartridges and started over. You need to go buy lottery tickets.
Old April 11, 2023, 06:12 PM   #35
USAF Ret

The deal is done. Just ordered a 6mm ARC 20" Ballistics Advantage barrel. I was weighing going with the 22", but this is a hunting rifle, so went with the 20. They have a sale going on, so it was a pretty good deal.

Thanks for the help Shadow9mm.
Old April 11, 2023, 06:18 PM   #36
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
The deal is done. Just ordered a 6mm ARC 20" Ballistics Advantage barrel. I was weighing going with the 22", but this is a hunting rifle, so went with the 20. They have a sale going on, so it was a pretty good deal.

Thanks for the help Shadow9mm.
No problem, happy to help.
Old April 12, 2023, 08:30 PM   #37
USAF Ret

Well, I pretty much have everything on order except the gas block and tube. Went Aero Precision with all hard components - lower receiver, upper receiver, hand guard and buffer tube and spring. Went with a B5 Bravo stock as it is more flared for a good cheek weld and has a soft rubber butt pad (I always end up replacing the Magpul buttpad with a Limbsaver).

Waiting on a Shadow9mm to give me a report on the Aero Precision adjustable low profile gas block.
Old April 13, 2023, 06:11 AM   #38
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
Well, I pretty much have everything on order except the gas block and tube. Went Aero Precision with all hard components - lower receiver, upper receiver, hand guard and buffer tube and spring. Went with a B5 Bravo stock as it is more flared for a good cheek weld and has a soft rubber butt pad (I always end up replacing the Magpul buttpad with a Limbsaver).

Waiting on a Shadow9mm to give me a report on the Aero Precision adjustable low profile gas block.
Lord willing and the river don't rise, that will be tomorrow. Mighty excited to try an adjustable block.
Old April 13, 2023, 09:42 AM   #39
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
Lord willing and the river don't rise, that will be tomorrow. Mighty excited to try an adjustable block.
I have gotten feedback on another forum that the folks that have the AP adjustable block love it. Looking forward to the report.
Old April 18, 2023, 01:45 PM   #40
USAF Ret

Large haul of boxes coming in today. I expect interrogation from the Mrs. Haha.