The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 31, 2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Pahoo

Taurus 94 / Wolf Spring kit

About six month ago, I purchased an Taurus 94, 7-shot, .22. The fella did not want it because of the heavy hammer that was difficult to aim and shoot well on single action and worse on double action. In fact, he hated it and just wanted to get rid of the "thing". ......

I tried working with it and it was not pleasant. I then remembered that I had a Wolf spring kit that I bought for an 85, that I no longer own. I thought what have I got to lose. The hammer spring is rated as a 9-LB. To my surprise, it fit just fine. Pulled a bullets off some LR cartridges dumped the powder out, told the wife I was going to make some noise and it shot just fine. Really made a big improvement and that will be the trainer or usage, for my wife. Range-time, is in order and as the kids would say; .... Sweet !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old August 31, 2013, 07:15 PM   #2
gav1230

Couldn't a light hammer spring cause reliability problems with rimfire ammo?
Old August 31, 2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Pahoo

Quote:
Couldn't a light hammer spring cause reliability problems with rimfire ammo?
It certainly could and you have one of these 94's, you will probably discover that the OEM is very strong when compared to other similar revolvers. I have only shot seven blank of bulk Federal with good results. Do you have a 94? ..

Be Safe !!
Old August 31, 2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The old, printed copy of Wolff's catalog lists a spring kit for the model 94 -- the same kit that fits several other revolvers built on the same frame. The web site does NOT list anything for the Model 94. I have a 94 and IMHO it was totally intolerable as it came from the factory. The spring kit didn't exactly make it "sweet," but it did make it tolerable. I used both the replacement hammer spring and the lighter of the two trigger return springs.
Old August 31, 2013, 09:22 PM   #5
Sevens

I have a buddy who took in a used Taurus 94.

He went inside and did a lot of work and he complained endlessly about what he found in there and told me to "kick him in the yamsack if he ever considered buying another Taurus revolver" , but I do sense a lot of pride from him that he took a very unhappy, unhealthy revolver and he put a lot of time & effort to make it far more usable.
Old August 31, 2013, 10:15 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Yeah, they're not pretty under the hood.
Old August 31, 2013, 10:49 PM   #7
weblance

I used the factory mainspring from my 905(9mm Taurus revolver)in my 94 and a Wolff Trigger return spring. Its much better, and reliability is still 100%. Its not a light trigger by any means, but in SA, its nice. Now if I could fix the lockup, and polish out all the machining gouges in the chambers, I would be happy. I wont recommend a 94 to anyone who asks. The Charter Arms Pathfinder is much nicer, excellent lockup, and a decent trigger... and Made in the USA.
Old September 1, 2013, 01:51 AM   #8
artoo

The partial answer to the 94 problem is to dry fire practice with .22lrf snap caps from Tipton http://www.midwayusa.com/product/360...-package-of-25 or use #4 sheetrock anchors.

Dry firing 500-1000 repetitions, not all at one time obviously, will smooth and lighten the trigger pull out. Remington oil helped as well with a squirt into the action.

The Wolff spring work for some, but do not do that for many. I'm one of those. I tried the spring change and got too many misfires and light hits so the switch was made back to the full power springs.

This is part and parcel of the whole package for most if not all .22lrf revolvers. This is true for most .22lrf revolvers.

The primer needs a healthy whack to set it off.

I had an older 94 and traded up for a newer one with the underlug.

My 94 is my understudy gun to the larger centerfire revolvers.

I went out and purchased a Taurus 990 as well. The 990 and 900 series Taurus revolvers have a better all around trigger pull than the smaller 94 and other revolvers of their ilk.

I've got a Taurus 991 in .22WRM on tap as well. www.speed-beez.com makes speedloaders for these.
Old September 1, 2013, 11:01 AM   #9
Pahoo

Delete

[DELETED
Old September 1, 2013, 11:02 AM   #10
Pahoo

I'm gaining on it !!!

Quote:
The spring kit didn't exactly make it "sweet," but it did make it tolerable.
I was just happy to have an improvement over the OEM spring. I can comfortably shoot this now. ....
I'm also thinking about about grinding off a half or full turn. They are so easy to work on....

Be Safe !!!