The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 11, 2013, 11:07 PM   #1
DarthNul

Jammed up Beretta 92

A buddy of mine was shooting my Beretta 92 FS at the range today and while I was busying myself with a 1911 he managed to jam the thing.

The slide is about 1/2" back from being fully forward and the the slide and barrel are about 1/8" from being properly locked up. I can move the slide back and forth about 1/16" but I can't get it any further forward or back.

I can see brass in the chamber and the extractor is snapped over the rim. I don't know if it's a live round or an empty case that failed to eject. If I can find my dental mirror and fiber optic flashlight I'll figure that out (but not before).

I can operate the decocker/safety. The mag dropped with no issues. I can also turn the takedown lever. The hammer is fully cocked.

I can see the "wings" of the barrel locking mechanism thanks to the open top slide design and they appear to be what's stopping the slide from moving more than 1/16". There is solid metal ahead and behind them. I tried gently pushing them up and down with a thin screwdriver while releasing the forward pressure from the slide but no joy.

Anything else I can try? I could drop it at my LGS if I can't get it unjammed but maybe shipping it back to Beretta would be better? I don't want to ship it if there's a live round in it though...
Old June 12, 2013, 12:30 AM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Did you try mashing in the rear of the extractor, to disengage it, and then trying to pull the slide back?
Old June 12, 2013, 04:05 AM   #3
oldandslow

dn,

I had a similar thing happen with my pistol and it ended up being a broken locking block. I was finally able to align the broken pieces enough to get the slide to move and disassemble the gun but it took three hours. I also had trouble telling if the round in the chamber was live or not and had to look down the barrel via a mirror (it ended up being a fired/ not-live brass case in the chamber). I'm sure other more knowledgeable people will be along shortly to help out. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old June 12, 2013, 04:11 AM   #4
JimmyR

Checking the barrel

If you want to find out if the round is fired, try using a straw, pencil, or other long object. Insert it down the muzzle, and see how far it will go. You can use that to guage whether or not there is a bullet in the chamber/barrel.
Old June 12, 2013, 07:01 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

It's loaded so be careful.

I'd hit the primer with WD-40 several times and let it sit overnight. The WD-40 should deactivate the priming compound.

Then I'd clamp it in a padded vise and place a piece of wood against the top of the slide. Whack it with a mallet.
Old June 12, 2013, 07:16 AM   #6
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

I thought of a broken locking block, too, and I'm hoping its not it. It's possible the cartridge is crammed into the chamber somehow, but it will probably be unfired if it is, or a burst case, etc., if it isn't. Personally, I've never saw a block fail on these, but have heard of them doing it. One would think they should be able to handle the stress of regular 9mm ball ammo, similar to the P 38.
Old June 12, 2013, 09:23 AM   #7
DarthNul

I'll figure out if the round is live or not when I get home tonight. I'll see if I can get the extractor off the round too.

I hit the primer with some WD-40 last night but can't be sure that enough will leak into the case. I made a "hammer mitten" out of some plastic foam so the hammer can't drop.

My buddy was shooting some cheap "factory reloads" that he found on the Internet so I wouldn't be too surprised if a case failed.
Old June 12, 2013, 08:37 PM   #8
DarthNul

Quote:
I'd clamp it in a padded vise and place a piece of wood against the top of the slide. Whack it with a mallet.

It only took a few light taps. The round was live and it had a thoroughly bulged case that only got a little more than half way into the chamber before it jammed.

My friend has about 1,900 more of these rounds. I think he found the cheapest "factory reloads" available on the Internet (a little over a year ago) and stocked up. He won't be putting any more through my guns...
Old June 15, 2013, 01:05 AM   #9
Sure shot wv

I've never had this in a 9mm but occasionally I get it in 40. I reload and sometimes I miss a bulged case and jam a gun. My 96 and xd have had their fair share of this over time. Most of the time tho I've slipped a flat head screw driver in the ejection port and gave a slight pry on the slide and barrel. That always works. If I get lucky ill grip the gun and push against the wooden bench on the front of the slide and get it. But usually there to tight to get that way.
Old June 15, 2013, 11:41 AM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

Another victory for the folks at the Smithy Forum!