The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 30, 2000, 02:55 AM   #1
Ben V

Hello All,
Not too much into Shotguns. I have a Moss 590 mariner that I've shot a 3 gun match with and that's about it. Thinking of looking into the Ben Nova as an all around gun. Can you swap out the barrels pretty easily? I wouldn't mind trying trap/skeet with it and definitly try to use it with the 3 gun matches (still a newbie at that anyway) if there was a way to add on a couple more rounds with a mag ext. Comments?
TIA
Ben
Old December 30, 2000, 10:24 PM   #2
GSM

I have had mine for about two months and shot 200 rounds. It is a very sweet shooting gun. Excellent quality. I have been super pleased when considering the money. I believe it one of the best buys for the money. GREAT gun.
Old December 31, 2000, 12:51 PM   #3
Paochow

I saw a guy set a world record with it for most clays shot with a pump gun on the American Shooter TV show. Simply amazing how fast the gun is. Suprisingly, the gun had little or no modifications!!

As for swapping barrels, I believe it is pretty much the same as my benelli M1 Tactical, remove the magazine cap and the barrel comes off.

The benelli catalog has a 2 shot extension for the Nova which would put the capacity up to 6+1. It mentions a 4 shot extension on the Nova page, but doesn't show it under the accessories.
Old December 31, 2000, 02:12 PM   #4
EchoFiveMike

I have a Nova that I've used for the last six monthes or so. Brownells has the 4 shot extension tube listed, but I have no interest in that sort of thing, I have the Nova as an all around gun. Besides I needed something chambered in 3.5 12ga just to have. The barrels swap out just like any other pump gun. I have about 600-800 rounds through mine, mostly 1oz and 1&1/8 oz trap and field loads. No major problems(other than finding out that Winchester zinc hulls need to be full sized otherwise they don't chamber worth spit), but I can tell you that it's extractor is tough. I pulled dozens of hard to extract cases out with no problems. I did get the recoil buffer assembly that goes in the buttstock. Works fairly well IMO. Haven't tried it with the 3.5 inch mags yet, but I will report when I do. Semper Fidelis...Ken M
Old December 31, 2000, 11:38 PM   #5
magnum_force

What is the recoil like on the nova? Is it manageable?
Old January 1, 2001, 01:29 AM   #6
GSM

Recoil on mine is not bad at all. Infact compared to some other guns (Rem 870) it's much better.
Old January 1, 2001, 02:23 PM   #7
EchoFiveMike

Better than most comparable sized guns. Get the mercury recoil buffer, and you're all set. I burned through about three boxes of my 1&3/8oz handloads on trap, and it wasn't too bad for recoil. But then again, I enjoy shooting a 300Wby with no muzzle brake and 24" barrel. 180's at a chrono'd 3050fps. Semper Fidelis..Ken M