The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 27, 2000, 08:29 PM   #1
fudiem

I'm new to tfl and may be asking a question previously answered.
I just purchased a rem 870 express turkey 12g. with 21" barrel (my first 870). I put it together per instructions and after racking the slide a couple of times the mag tube is scratched up now. It's worn through the matte finish, down to the metal on one side. I've now racked it about a dozen times and it's getting worse.
Is this normal or should I send it in. I'm prepared to live with it but HATE to have a new gun with marks on it. I'm pretty hard on my stuff and they tend to get messed up fast but I would like a fair chance to try and take care of it.
Thanks in advance.
Old December 27, 2000, 10:48 PM   #2
Fatcat

Some wear marks are certainly normal, there are plenty on my mag tube. But, if it is scratching on one side but not the other, your pump may be off-center. I'd take it off according to the manual and put it back on.

But I really wouldn't worry about it, unless it starts shaving the metal or something like that..
Old December 28, 2000, 04:58 AM   #3
Halfpint

Location: About to be gobbled up by "The People's Republic of Firestone"!
What `Fatcat' said;

>Some wear marks are certainly normal, there are plenty on >my mag tube. But, if it is scratching on one side but not >the other, your pump may be off-center. I'd take it off >according to the manual and put it back on.
>
>But I really wouldn't worry about it, unless it starts >shaving the metal or something like that..
>
Having pretty much agreed with Fatcat I'd also add that it also makes it `look loved and appreciated' rather than being some sort of `safe queen' to only be looked at and admired from a distance'. {GRIN!} You *did* buy it to *shoot* didn't you? {CHORTLE!} So... Get out there and shoot it!

Of course I'm out of my mind, it's dark and scary in there!
Old December 28, 2000, 06:39 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Honest wear marks are never ugly. I'd lube up the tube and live with it.After you do some shooting with the new shotgun,it becomes an old and trusted tool...
Old December 28, 2000, 03:03 PM   #5
fudiem

I bought it for turkey, quail, and home defense. I can't wait to shoot it.

I guess I'll change the trigger assembly and follower. I hate that keyed safety but I can handle it until I get the new one.

It's a nice firearm; I think I will really enjoy it.

Thanks for the replys guys.
Old December 28, 2000, 03:15 PM   #6
old hawk

fud ya dont gotta change the whole trigger group,just get a vang safety or try to find one thru a parts house for it. with the old safteys they used a ball and spring, with the new safetys they use a plunger with an ovaled face that can be shucked in a drill and rounded to work just fine with anold saftey setup,as far as the scratching goes, take the barrel out and slide the pump handle assembly off after pinching the stop bars inside and clean it well.what i find is that black matte crap all over the place ,once its cleaned and greased in the handle tube take some time to straighten the pump rails a bit minus the bolt assembly and shell be just fine.
heres my 870 page
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2997/870.html
read the whole thing for all the info you need, the safety fix shows pics.as far as the follower in the tube goes i hav had no probs with mine at all.one thing to note is when using it work the action fast, other wise the sg may double feed on you.thats where i like the flexi tab in it.hit the release and just get a good grip and clear it as normal.itll spit the shell out and the next one in.
Old December 29, 2000, 07:39 PM   #7
Badger Arms

I've got the Turkey model too. I liked the extra weight and vent rib. I put a 3 shot extension and sidesaddle carrier on it for home defense. I already have long guns so I don't need a dual purpose one.