The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 22, 2012, 09:55 AM   #51
1hogfan83

I think of it as more of a, where are you, distance, size of game, ect. I had a friend in college who bought a .300 weatherby mag. He talked me into going hunting with him and he got a pretty decent sized deer with that CANNON of a gun. Now arkansas isnt known for their huge deer and this deer was maybe 60 yards to say the most. It was way overkill. There was way overkill on the shoulder, well there was no shoulderS. Flipped the deer in the air. I've killed deer at 100 yards with my .270 wsm and they dropped right where they stood. Its just not ethical to use that big of a gun. If you were hunting elk, mulies, bears or whatever from 200+ maybe so but a mid size deer from 60 or so yards, come on.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old February 22, 2012, 12:07 PM   #52
Panfisher

I'll share a couple of " It was what I had at the time" sort of events.

1. Antelope hunting, prairie dogs, 7MM Mag, hot loaded 140 gr. Ballistic Tips, bad for prairie dogs.

2. .22 Hornet, white-tail doe, 50 yards, shot her in white patch as she looked at me, dropped her, but on cleaning VERY under-impressed with the damage done, I think if I had run up to her and cut her throat she would have soon gotten back up and run away to die later.

3. Again .22 Hornet, squirrels, kills them but messy, takes a head completely off without knocking them out of tree, weird.

4. 7MM Mag, hot loaded ballistic tip again, coyote at about 30 yards. Dropped instantly, when I picked it up its off side leg stayed on ground. Tough on the pelt.
Old February 22, 2012, 12:37 PM   #53
carprivershooter

22lr sniper rifle

Were I live I have seen guys take white tails with a 22lr and a maglite at night. One shot one kill. Of course these gentlemen don't bother to buy a tag and take deer year around.
Old February 22, 2012, 01:03 PM   #54
Wyoredman

^^^ "Thats nothing to be proud off, Russ."
Old February 22, 2012, 03:02 PM   #55
Panfisher

I know a few who have shot deer with a .22 LR and light, also they "miss" some. Obviously missed because they ran off, but I have found carcasses in the woods with bullet holes in face, or jaws broken too.