The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 21, 2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Islandeddie

old contender shoots high

I took a new to me old contender with a 22lr 10" hex barrel with open sights to the range this week, and at 15 yards it shot 6" high with the sight adjusted all the way down. The only thing I can figure is the barrel has the wrong rear sight. What is the right rear sight? Part number?

Thanks.

Brad
Old February 21, 2010, 07:04 PM   #2
frumious

I am interested in this thread. I have the exact same setup and mine shoots really high as well. I wonder what gives? With that long barrel maybe it's made for really hot cartridges, or maybe shooting at 50yds? Or both?

-cls
Old February 21, 2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

A friend of mine got a snub-nose SRH in .454 Casull with adjustable rear sight that just doesn't go low enough. We joked that Ruger expected the shooter to jerk down, but the reality is that sights designed for one barrel length, rate of muzzle rise in recoil, and shooting distance are not necessarily going to work out on a different gun.

If that barrel has a removable front sight blade, like the Ruger, you may be able just to replace it with a taller one? I don't recall what's on those barrels?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 22, 2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Scorch

TC front sights are a one-piece cast affair. They usually get taken off and thrown in a "spare parts" box. You can replace the front sight with a Williams sight, or lengthen the front sight blade by brazing on a piece and trimming it in a mill.