The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 25, 2010, 07:01 PM   #1
M14

Ruger 77/22 Hornet bolt

I've been reading that the accuracy of my Ruger 77/22H can be improved by eliminating the "slop" in the 2 piece bolt. I've read of cures by shimming the bolt, expanding the portion of the neck not used to grip the bullet to 6mm, etc. Knowing nothing of which I speak, couldn't the same thing be accomplished by setting the barrel back & rechambering to either standard hornet or k hornet?
Old January 26, 2010, 03:46 AM   #2
Scorch

How bad does it shoot? Most problems with 22 Hornets can be fixed with good handloads.
Old January 26, 2010, 03:51 PM   #3
M14

Let me try rephrasing this. I would like to eliminate the generous headspace on this rifle. Not being a gunsmith, my "tunnel vision" question is: Can't the barrel merely be setback to eliminate the excessive headspace?
Old January 27, 2010, 11:53 AM   #4
Scorch

Yes, you can set the barrel back. 77/22H receivers and barrels are threaded.
Old January 27, 2010, 01:00 PM   #5
twice barrel

Why not just fireform your cases in your own gun's chamber and start working up some good loads with necksized cases?

TB
Old January 28, 2010, 07:02 AM   #6
M14

Thanks for the info. I'm already only neck sizing my brass. I previously had a k hornet & I think the shoulder on the k hornet helps a lot in maintaining headspace even though it's a rimmed cartridge. I wonder if this guy's idea has merit?

http://www.centerfirecentral.com/brad22h.htm
Old January 28, 2010, 02:29 PM   #7
Scorch

Interesting article, bulging out the shoulder area to form a headpsacing area on the shoulder. It sounds to me like he was bumping his shoulder back every time he loaded, a sure way to have case issues with a Hornet. Neck sizing is the way to go if that is your issue. BTW, the poor headspacing of the Hornet is what caused me to sell my Krico 22 Hornet 25 years ago. The guy who bought it from me messed around with it for a while then recut the chamber to K Hornet, and did away with all the nonsense. In your case, I would recommend sending the rifle back to Ruger for a headspace repair, or have the chamber recut to K Hornet and quit worrying about it.
Old January 28, 2010, 04:28 PM   #8
M14

While neck sizing is a good idea, I wonder how well it helps in maintaining headspace on the Hornet with its almost non existent shoulder. My Ruger delivers 1 1/2" groups which is still okay for chucks out to 150 yds. My old Winchester M43 in k-hornet could still beat it, & I consider the M43 a cheap (at the time) rifle,
Old January 28, 2010, 05:17 PM   #9
Scorch

Agreed, the hornet has almost no shoulder, but if you are just neck sizing, you should be able to get better groups than that. Things to try:

* Use small pistol primers instead of small rifle primers. The case volume of the Hornet and the small volume of powder do not need as much OOMPH as a small rifle primer provides. This usually takes care of any erratic velocity issues, too.

* While I have read about people loading the Hornet with LilGun powder, and many recommend IMR4227 for accuracy, my best results were with a 40 gr bullet and 11.0 gr of W296.

* Seat the bullets out just a little further than you are currently, reducing jump to the lands.

* Check your rifle's throat: by using a Sharpie, blacken a bullet, then use it to load a dummy round to make sure you are not seating against the lands. If you touch the lands, it will show up as light scratches on the bullet all the way around. Best accuracy will be when seating slightly off the lands.
Old January 28, 2010, 05:29 PM   #10
cal74

Why don't you try just shimming your bolt like the majority of other people do?

Lots cheaper and if it doesn't work you can try other options.

Heard good things about these guy as well
http://www.ct-precision.com/
Old January 28, 2010, 08:05 PM   #11
M14

I am using small pistol primers. My bullets are not touching the lands, but can't be seated out any more unless I single load as they're at max to function through the rotary magazine. I bought some shim stock but haven't tried it yet. I'm still working on it. It would be nice if it would out group my ancient 30/06. I may try W296.
Old February 9, 2010, 01:02 PM   #12
Prince55

Ruger .22 Hornet---

About how far off the lands are your bullets and what is the maximum
cartridge overall length that you can use through that rotary magazine ?

Thanks
Old February 9, 2010, 01:36 PM   #13
M14

I'll have to reply when I get home about the maximum length that will function through the magazine. I originally did the "just off the lands" thing but found the rounds wouldn't function through the magazine so I seated them so they would just function through the magazine. I'm not sure how far off the lands they are now. After I shim the bolt, I may try the "just off the lands" & single load if I'm still unhappy withe the groups.
Old February 12, 2010, 10:50 PM   #14
Colorado Redneck

Savage model 40 hornet

When i bought this rifle, i had read several different threads in this forum, and an article in some magazine that Horents can be persnickety. Well, after fiddling around with this round for a year, I am here to validate that statement.

I THINK a round using Sierra 40 gr blitzking and H110 is the best so far. But it will remain to be seen. At first I thought 40 gr hornadys were the deal. I had tried some different loads and a couple grouped really good. But when I loaded 200 rounds and headed for Wyoming to shoot dogs, the thing wouldn't hit a bull in the butt at 10 yards. Back to the range, and the results were enough to pi$$ off the pope. So, more experimenting, more reading, more disappointment. But it looks like maybe the Sierra load will work. Till, for some reason, the gun decides they shouldn't.

So don't give up. Like me, you might have more reasons to shoot and buy different bullets and powder and primers and cases and equipment....
Old February 17, 2010, 05:35 AM   #15
M14

I measured the col & it's 1.717". As I said, I'm not sure how far off the lands that puts me. However, I dove into the shim kit I ordered & shimmed the bolt. What a difference! I set up a target at 75 yds. & shot a 3/4" group using a fallen tree as a rest. 4 of the shots went into 1/2". I really believe using a bench & not kneeling in the snow behind a fallen tree would tighten up the group a little more.
Old February 17, 2010, 12:22 PM   #16
Scorch

Quote:
I really believe using a bench & not kneeling in the snow behind a fallen tree would tighten up the group a little more
No, I have a friend who talked to the clerk at the 7-11 who knows a guy that heard from a guy who says he used to be a Navy Seal that kneeling in the snow is best. Either that, or leaning across the hood of your truck.

Just kidding. Glad you got it fixed, or at least heading in the right direction.
Old February 20, 2010, 10:25 AM   #17
fishhawk

22 hornet

the us made rifles use SAAMI spec chambers which are rather large ,the European makers use C.I.P. specs which are tighter.
the hornet head spaces on the rim and the larger SAMMI chambers require you to fire form the cases and just resize the neck.
this is one of the major reasons the CZ rifles in 22 hornet shoot so well the tighter C.I.P chamber.
the Ruger 22 hornet compounds this with there two piece bolt,the Ruger is such a fine rifle why would they put such a pice of c&@# bolt on it .