The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 21, 2009, 09:44 AM   #1
Dearhunter61

Primers...I finally found some! Now for the question.

Ok guys...

I need to know what changing to a different primer will do to a load. Will it change point of imact dramitically? Will it alter the groups thereby making a great load with my origianal primer worthless using my new primers?

And as to the question as to where I found them I found them at Alpine shooting range yesterday. And I bought the last two thousand they had because I simply do not know when I will find more nor do I know if I am going to have to start from scratch using them instead of my other primers.

Thanks,

P.S. They were very proud of them. For 2k it cost me just less than $100.00! Agh! But based on what you have to pay online and Hazmat I guess I still came out ahead?
Old October 21, 2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Foxbat

Congratulations, but not such a good price... on Gun Broker you can get them for $40 delivered per 1000, if you buy 5000 at a time. Sometimes even better.
Old October 21, 2009, 11:35 AM   #3
salvadore

Sportsman's WareHouse charged me $30.00 for 1000 small pistol Remeingtons
Old October 21, 2009, 02:40 PM   #4
margiesex

I'll try...

Hello:

I haven't been around for over 2 weeks, the ole' 'puter got a worm, or virus, or some such - probably H1N1 - but I'm not sure.

Anyway - no one bothered to answer your most important question - how will it effect your loads.

Well, in my experience, there has been little change. I know I'm carrying coal to Newcastle, but I do try - and I think others would agree - to use the same components all the time. So, if what you just bought works - then try to replace it. If not, then you may have to hang around until you can get back to your original primer.

I had this issue years ago when I loaded for a pet .222...started out with RWS primers - Savage just LOVED them.....supply dried up. Now, I shoot only CCI in the rifles....IF I can get them.

I wish I could be more specific...sorry, but trial and error will prove what you need to do.

God bless you and keep shooting!

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both - and soon!
Old October 21, 2009, 02:56 PM   #5
azar92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerHunter61
I need to know what changing to a different primer will do to a load. Will it change point of imact dramitically? Will it alter the groups thereby making a great load with my origianal primer worthless using my new primers?
There really is only one sure test. Load them and see what happens. Different brands (or even different lots of the same brand) can behave differently. Some brands are known to be hotter than others and will give higher pressures and vice-versa. It's entirely possible your groups will widen to an unacceptable size with the new primers. It's also quite possible that your groups will remain more-or-less the same or even shrink. Any "predictions" about what will happen will just be guesses.

If you are at or near a max charge, drop down 5% and work back up.
Old October 21, 2009, 09:36 PM   #6
reloader28

When I tested primers from a particular gun I used Fed, Rem, CCI, and Win. I got about 200 or so fps dif from fastest to slowest and the grouping was 3/4 - about 2 inches dif smallest to biggest.
Old October 21, 2009, 10:23 PM   #7
Dearhunter61

Great info guys! Thanks!!!
Old October 23, 2009, 05:08 AM   #8
blhseawa

Depends ...

You don't say what cartridge, case or powder ...

so depends is the best I can say.

Assuming the same powder and same cases, I've seen variances in the 75 - 150 fps difference in the .308 and 7mm Rem Mag.

I see almost no measurable difference in my 375 H&H load regardless of which manufactures large magnum prime I use.

I know in some cartridges/powder combinations primer choice can have more of a impact.

As has been pointed out, load several and test, you may not have to work up a new load.
Old October 23, 2009, 07:11 AM   #9
wncchester

No matter what we say or think, the only way for you to KNOW is a range test.