The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 6, 2008, 10:08 PM   #1
Sixer

Looking for an M4

I've had my eye on a Bushmaster M4 for a while now. I know very little about assault rifles, or rifles in general for that matter. My last two gun purchases were HEAVILY influenced by great input from the guys here at TFL so I coming back for more advice.

I would like to buy an AR of some type before the end of the year. Thats been my goal for a while now (has nothing to do w/ the election). I need to keep the purchase under $1000 for the gun itself. Im not opposed to buying a well maintained used rifle, but would prefer to buy new.

The gun would mainly be for casual plinking, and home/self defense, but I would like to have the ability to take it hunting if I ever decided to. Quality and reliability are big issues (obviously) but I dont need "top of the line" anything. The more $$$ I can save on the gun will be more $$$ to spend on ammo. I have an M1 Carbine but I want something that I can really accessorise over a period of time. Also less expensive ammo is always a plus. I hope that kind of gives you an idea of what Im looking for. If anyone could just point me in the right direction or offer up any advice, I would greatly appreciate it

Last edited by Sixer; July 6, 2008 at 10:11 PM. Reason: .
Old July 6, 2008, 10:22 PM   #2
zoomie

RRA

I'd go with anything in the RRA line. I think they're a great compromise between "bargain basement" and "top of the line." And they've got enough customizable features to get just about exactly what you're looking for.

If you want to hunt with it, look for twist rates of 1:8 or 1:9. 1:12 will likely not stabilize the heavier bullets that are nice for hunting and 1:7 is too fast for the varmint bullets.

Specifically, http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=217 and then choose the free float handguard.

Personally, I like RB Precision (www.rbprecision.com). But lots of companies are equally qualified to sell you the rifle you want for much less than MSRP listed on the RRA site.

BTW, please don't refer to AR-15s as "assault rifles." They're not assault rifles, and the term to the unknowing inspires negative connotation.
Old July 6, 2008, 11:01 PM   #3
Incognito

Quote:
BTW, please don't refer to AR-15s as "assault rifles." They're not assault rifles, and the term to the unknowing inspires negative connotation.
Politically Correct: Self-loading and/or semi-automatic rifle

Furthermore, M4 is typically a select fire military rifle, and AR-15 is a semi-automatic civilian version.
Old July 7, 2008, 02:40 AM   #4
Rifleman 173

I'm sort of like you. I've been shopping around for a decent M-4 type carbine for personal defense. I'm taking a long and hard look at both the 6.5 Grendels and the 6.8 SPC M-4 variants. Both of these M-4 types have been used very, very effectively to drop deer and feral pigs. Any carbine that can do that will probably also drop a bad guy in a heartbeat too, with proper shot placement of course. Do some research into these two calibers of M-4 or think about getting an AR-10 variant in 7.62 NATO or .308 Winchester if you want something bigger. One other thing... I don't own ANY assault rifles. All of my rifles are SURs or Sport Utility Rifles. That bypasses the anti-gun nuts' wording of "assault rifle."
Old July 7, 2008, 02:56 AM   #5
Bob Lee Swagger

I would suggest obtaining the M4A1 if you can. The M4 CBQR is nice as well.
Old July 7, 2008, 06:17 AM   #6
murphjup

I have a Bushmaster M4A3... Great customer service... not a hiccup yet...

Use it for plinking, and Home Defense.... shot a hog with it last week....

Old July 7, 2008, 06:22 AM   #7
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

After carrying an M4 for so long, I don't think I'll ever buy another one as a civilian.

But if I were to purchase one, I'd get it in 6.8 SPC