The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 14, 2008, 03:32 PM   #1
tannoa

New Sights Not Accurate

I have an XD-9 Tactical which I have always found to be far more accurate than I am.

I just had some TruGlo TFO sights installed and now find that in order to hit bullseye at even as little as 21 feet I need to aim two or three inches to the right of center. I can still have small groupings, but they aren't on-target as they were before.

I have a call into the gunsmith who installed the sights (who is very highly thought of even though I've not used him before) but I'm curious if any of you have had this same problem and what you've done about it if you have.

Help!
Old March 14, 2008, 03:49 PM   #2
AK103K

It sounds like your sights just need a minor adjustment. Its not unusual to have to make some minor adjustments after new sights are installed.
Old March 14, 2008, 03:53 PM   #3
tannoa

Quote:
It sounds like your sights just need a minor adjustment. Its not unusual to have to make some minor adjustments after new sights are installed.
That's kind if what I was hoping, but I'm a novice so I just took the "fixed sights" thing too literally. I now gather that even with fixed sights there is still some adjustment possible.
Old March 14, 2008, 04:06 PM   #4
wjkuleck

What your 'smith will do is shift the rear sight to the right in its dovetail. This is best done with a "sight pusher." It can also be done with a brass drift and hammer, but the chance of damage to the sight is greater than with the pusher.

Regards,

Walt
The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
The AR-15 Complete Assembly
and (New 4th Edition) Owner's Guides
Old March 14, 2008, 04:07 PM   #5
AK103K

Generally, when they install them, the tool has witness marks on it and that usually gets you pretty close. Some shops test fire them, a lot dont. I have a tool for my SIG's and have done a number of set, and so far, only had to readjust two once I fired them.

Usually, you just drift the rear sight in the direction you want to go. I wouldnt use a hammer and punch on the Tru Glo's/Night Sights though. Its better to use a pusher.

If your not sure, call the smith. It shouldnt take but a minute to do the adjustment. The only problem is, if you cant shoot it there, you may have to make a couple of trips until you get it right. Another option is to leave it with him and ask him to check it, but thats not always a guarantee either, and different people can often have different results with the same gun.