The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 22, 2005, 02:55 PM   #1
CyberSEAL

VSS Vintorez

Does anyone know if there are any VSS Vintorez rifles in the United States at all? I would love to have one of these, I guess there's no way to get a full-auto here legally from Russia? Sorry, don't know much about class 3 laws or NFA.

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn20-e.htm
Old July 22, 2005, 08:28 PM   #2
boofus

If there are any they would be in the hands of government/LE/licensed importer. No NFA weapon of any type can be imported for civilian use.
Old July 25, 2005, 01:49 PM   #3
CyberSEAL

Was wondering if there were any that had been imported back in the 80's though, or really just if anyone has seen one of these in the US?
Old July 26, 2005, 02:54 AM   #4
max popenker

Back in the '80s the only way to obtain VSS was, probably, to get it from the dead hands of a Soviet spetsnaz soldier somewhere in Afghanistan. That said, i believe, CIA may (or may not) have some samples of this weapon, but i'm sure that it has NOT been offered for export until early 1990s. And even then, it was offered only through State-owned RosOboronExport (former RosVooruzhenie) agency, and olny for foreign government military purchases.

However, i know at least one case when a civilian collector ended up owning a working piece of Soviet spetsnaz equipment. During the early 1990s Russian RosOboronExport sales team landed in Argentine, showing some of the neat stuff. At the end of the voyage, they decided.. to sell some of the collection, maybe for personal re-financing, i dont' know. So, one lucky collector bought himself a working SPP-1 underwater pistol along with some ammunition
I know that because he mailed me some pics of his kit, asking for some information. So, probably, they (RosVor's (* ) also sold some VSS or AS to another lucky Argentinean boy with enough cash...

*) The irony is that "Vor" is either first part from the russian word "Vooruzhenie" (arms) or the complete word "vor" (thief).