The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 6, 2005, 04:26 PM   #1
Greybeard

TX - Pending bill regarding placement of feeders, blinds, etc.

While I'm in full support of the pending TX legislation prohibiting "internet hunting", that subject reminded me that possibly a heads-up of interest on this one:

HB 560, by Miller
Categories: Hunting. Status: Filed 01/25/05.
Relating to the placement of traps, deer stands, hunting blinds, wildlife feeders, and other hunting devices.
Prohibits placeing or building a hunting device, including a trap, deer stand, hunting blind, or wildlife feeder, less than 200 feet from a line that separates property owned by one person from property owned by another person without a written agreement.

--------------

While I've got some guesses, I'm not familiar with the background on this one. Anyone know?
Old March 8, 2005, 08:20 AM   #2
Greybeard

I just discovered the following this morning at www.txchlforum.com

"Here's one we don't have to worry about.

Scott Campbell (R) filed HB185, a bill that would, with limited exceptions, prohibit the use of hunting blinds and/or feeders within 150 yds. of a fence line dividing property owned by different owners. In response to a request from TSRA, Rep. Campbell will withdraw the bill if possible, and if it is not possible to withdraw it, it will not be pursued. Good work Alice Tripp! "
Old March 10, 2005, 10:47 AM   #3
FirstFreedom

Well, it sounds like the problem that they are trying to address is people hunting other people's feeders, but they are just over the feeder owner's property line onto the next property, so they can go "nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah" if the game is going to or from the feeder, but on the next property. However, if that's the only problem attempting to be addressed, then it seems that the measure is overbroad by prohibiting BOTH feeders and hunting near property lines. It should prohibit ONLY hunting & stands/blinds near property lines, not feeders. But if you want to place a feeder at the edge of your own property, for whatever reason, you should be allowed to do so, even if you know that you cannot hunt your own feeder unless you're back 200 feet. But for some reason that may be the best setup for your situation. You could then still rest assured that no one (legally) is hunting your feeder just over your property line (within 200 feet). BUT (a) 150 yards is too far of a prohibition, it seems to me - 75-100 yards seems more reasonable, and (b) it should not include a prohibition against setting up your own feeder wherever in the heck you want to on your own property - you may not even be hunting - you may be just feeding wildlife - the prohibition, *if any*, should lie ONLY in the act of firing a shot (or placing a stand/blind) within X distance of another's property line.