The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 4, 2000, 07:39 PM   #1
Jamie Young

Can Anyone tell me how much it runs for an M16 A2 rifle? And how much a license for owning full auto rifles cost?
Old August 4, 2000, 08:04 PM   #2
Mulio Rex

Boy are you in for sticker shock.

$200 transfer Tax PER WEAPON, plus the legal hassel of becoming a Class III.. of course that only if you live in a state that allows Class III to begin with.
As as far as a pre-ban Full auto M16 goes...hehehe... Get ready to shell out a few thousand.

------------------
Big Guns again
No speakee well
But plain.
--H.C
Old August 4, 2000, 08:12 PM   #3
Mulio Rex

I did a bit of research, a registerd Colt built M16 select fire reciever I found at the Urban Armory website is selling for $6995.
Mind you this is just a reciever not a complete weapon.

------------------
Big Guns again
No speakee well
But plain.
--H.C
Old August 4, 2000, 08:49 PM   #4
Jamie Young

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mulio Rex:
I did a bit of research, a registerd Colt built M16 select fire reciever I found at the Urban Armory website is selling for $6995.
Mind you this is just a reciever not a complete weapon.

[/quote]
HOLY S*&%
Not Worth it

Old August 4, 2000, 10:33 PM   #5
Mulio Rex

Your damn skippy its not worth it.
The asking price for an Armalite type rifle SHOULD be around $1200, I mean, thats what its actually worth.
Of course, since no new full-auto arms for us peons have been manufactured since 1986 the price for those available has skyrocketed. Demand FAR outstripps supply.
My advice to you, buy an honest to god battle rifle (M1a1,FAL/SLR).

------------------
Big Guns again
No speakee well
But plain.
--H.C
Old August 5, 2000, 09:08 AM   #6
fal308
Staff Alumnus

You don't need to become a Class III dealer in order to buy Title II firearms (full auto etc). You need a Class III license to deal in these firearms. In order to purchase an M16 (or any legal Title II firearm) for personal use you need to fill out the appropriate paperwork, get fingerprinted, and buy the appropriate tax stamp. Once you are approved by BATF then you can buy.
This will allow the purchaser to legally buy a Title II firearm from another individual or a Class III dealer, provided all is in order regarding legalities and proper paperwork.
Old August 5, 2000, 10:02 AM   #7
Normalizer

There are two for auction now on gunbroker asking around $10k!
Old August 5, 2000, 11:31 AM   #8
M16

The going rate for the M16A2 is around the $9000 range. The process works like this. First check with you police chief or sheriff and see if they will sign for you to purchase an automatic weapon. If you get past that find the gun that you would like to buy. You usually pay for the gun at this time. Now you fill out a form 4 along with two photographs, two sets of fingerprints and take this to your Class III dealer along with $200 in funds. The dealer sends it to ATF and if you are lucky you will be approved in around 90 days. The approved form 4 will come back to your dealer and you can then take your new baby home. You also need to check if automatic weapons are legal in your state. The process is the same for the purchase of a suppressor. If you are buying from an individual in your home state you do not need to go through a dealer. Is it worth it? Damn right it's worth it. Several of my machine guns have doubled in value in the last two or three years. How many of your guns have done that?

[This message has been edited by M16 (edited August 05, 2000).]
Old August 5, 2000, 12:47 PM   #9
VictorLouis

Would it not be far cheaper to purchase an A1 series to obtain the lower, then purchase the A2 upper? I'm not sure if it's lawful to modify the A1 lower from FA to the A2's single/tri/FA selectability. Does anyone know?
Old August 7, 2000, 07:49 PM   #10
blades67

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VictorLouis:
Would it not be far cheaper to purchase an A1 series to obtain the lower, then purchase the A2 upper? I'm not sure if it's lawful to modify the A1 lower from FA to the A2's single/tri/FA selectability. Does anyone know?[/quote]

A1 and A2 lowers are going for about the money.

Once you have the tax stamp and Form 4 for the weapon, adding three round burst is just a matter of buying the proper components.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old August 7, 2000, 08:13 PM   #11
M16

Why would you want the three round burst? Just more parts to cause a problem. All you have to do is learn trigger control and you can easily fire a two or three round burst.
Old August 7, 2000, 09:12 PM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

Bravo M16! Your comment eloquently recaptures the spirit of a previous thread here.
Old August 8, 2000, 08:38 AM   #13
AUCUP

What do you fellas think of a select fire FN-FNC? It has a 4 position selector: safe, semi, 4 round burst and full auto. You can also have it with a full stock or folding stock. I know of a dealer who is selling them for around $4,400 - $5,000 each.
Old August 8, 2000, 05:49 PM   #14
WadCut'r

Mulio or whomever,

What did you mean by a "pre-ban M16". I know what a pre-ban weapon is, but I thought the M16 was still being made. And you also mentioned that no more had been made for us peons since '86. Did I miss a law or some other government manuever to take them away.

Thanks in Advance Guys,
WadCut'r
Old August 8, 2000, 11:06 PM   #15
Mulio Rex

WadCut'r: No new full-auto weapons for consumer use have been manufactured since the 1986 Assault Weapons ban.
None, NADA, zero.
I believe you are confusing M16s and AR-15s, Up un til recently AR-15s were legal everywhere and there are several eccelent companies currently making AR-15 type rifles and carbines.
Lots of M16s being made (by FN, Colt lost the contract I think)and milsurp M16s are practicly being given away to Law Enforcement Agencies all over the country.
Sadly WE, the average american, can never own one of these weapons.

------------------
Big Guns again
No speakee well
But plain.
--H.C
Old August 8, 2000, 11:46 PM   #16
WadCut'r

Mulio,
Thanks a bunch. No I wasn't getting them mixed up I was having a debate at another forum. Guy said there was no such thing as a pre-ban M16, he also says that there is no way an Colt M16A2 cost $10K. AND that he could get AK47 full-autos for $125.00, I wanted to tell him he was full of buzzard droppings ( I knew he was on the AK thing), but first I wanted to make sure about the ban. Thanks again, the forum is here
M16 Thread if you'd like to look and or post a reply to the thread.

Thanks Again!
WadCut'r

------------------
Old August 9, 2000, 04:21 PM   #17
branrot

I heard on TV (probably Discovery or History channel) that used full auto AK-47's are going for about fifty bucks in some parts of the world (ie, the middle east). Hard to believe!
Old August 9, 2000, 06:53 PM   #18
Mulio Rex

I read in national geograpic that nickel plated (that is a bad Idea for so many reasons)AK type rifles are extreamly popular in some areas of the middle east.
Now for the funny part, they call them:

MICHAEL JACKSONS!!!!

------------------
Big Guns again
No speakee well
But plain.
--H.C
Old August 10, 2000, 12:23 PM   #19
Dead

Brand new MILLED Russian Full autos SBR under-folders are going for $249, these are Post-Samples so None for the subjects. Would be nice if those stupid laws would be repealed so "we the people" could buy them again, however I think there is a better chance of visiting Simga Draconis in my life time.

------------------
Dead [Black Ops]
Old August 11, 2000, 11:55 PM   #20
George in NePa

Like everything else you have to shop. Actual Colt M-16's sell for 5000.00 to over 8000.00 depending on model. Decide if you really need an A2. Could you deal with a 5000.00 A1 and put an A2 upper on it. Registered Recievers (COLT SP1) sell for 4000.00 to 5500.00. Then there are the non-Colt guns. I recently bought a SGW M-16 (actual factory full-auto) for 4800.00. Go to www.subguns.com, then go to Message Boards, NFA for sale. Check the prices, remember posted prices are not always what they sell for. There have been Colt M-16 A2's on the boards for months at 10,000.00. You don't see the 8500.00 ones posted twice. Check also www.ar15.com.
Old August 12, 2000, 12:38 PM   #21
Bam Bam

Please excuse the lack of a source. I read that in Uganda/Kenya the going rate for an AK-47 is a chicken. I imagine that something like this happened...

Hassan al-Turabi to muharileen: "Here are some AK-47s, go kill those SPLA kufr in Kukrum."

SPLA in Kukrum "Here they come again, let 'em have it!"

Later: "Hey, those muharileen SOBs killed all our cows, goats, and burned our crops. After wiping 'em out in ambush, I'm hungry. So who wants trade a chicken for some dead muharileen's slightly used AK-47?"

[This message has been edited by Bam Bam (edited August 12, 2000).]