The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 14, 2002, 12:46 PM   #1
STRAKA

Pistole M37 Kal.7,65mm?

Can anyone give me any information on this handgun? It is from W.W.II, I am told. I believe my Great Uncle brought it back from the war and I got it after he passed away. It is in very good shape and has a leather and canvas holster and extra mag. Any information on the history and possible worth would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Chris
Old November 14, 2002, 02:39 PM   #2
johnwill

It sounds like the Hungarian Femaru Model 37. They were build in 7.65 and 9x17 caliber. It was adopted by the Hungarian military in 1937, and produced until the late 1940's. The nazi code for these guns was jhv, which was stamped on the left side of the slide as seen in the picture of mine. They're a good quality pistol, and should be a good shooter if in good condition.

If you have capture papers, it should be worth a reasonable buck, standard models go for $250-300 in VG condition, with Nazi proofed models bringing 50-75% more. Capture papers add to that value, so it would be worthwhile to find them.

Old November 15, 2002, 06:18 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

In the late 1920's the Hungarian Army decided to adopt a simpler design than the Frommer Stop pistol, coming up with the 29M model. In the middle 1930's the Army required more pistols and agian the Fromer Co came up with the 37m design. This was simply an improved 29m , the chages being largely cosmetic and resultig in a somewhat better lookin gun. During WWII a large number of 37M's were made in 7.65mm for the German Army and they adopted it as the ;pistole 37(U). These can be distinguished by the German marking 'PMOD 37 KAL, 7.65 on the slide and they were also provided with a thumb-operated safety catch on the rear of the frame in addition to the grip safety.

HJN
Old November 15, 2002, 09:06 AM   #4
johnwill

The Frommer STOP is certainly a complicated little beast inside! I have the original STOP model, as well as the smaller Baby, here's the Baby. A lot of moving parts in these guns.

Old November 15, 2002, 11:29 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Frommer Stop and Baby have, I believe, the distinction of being the only long recoil operated pistols ever made. Also the Baby is still (again I believe) the smallest 9mm Short (.380ACP) pistol ever made.

The complexity may have had some justification for the Baby, but the Stop was about the size as blowback pistols of the same caliber, and I never understood the use of the long recoil action.

Like many guns of the era, the whole frame (which included what looks like a slide and the spring tunnel above it) was machined from a solid block of steel. The cost must have been incredible.

Jim
Old November 16, 2002, 01:52 PM   #6
johnwill

I must admit, the Frommer pistols have some really nice machining inside, kinda' reminds me of some of the Walther guns. Many guns have pretty rough interiors, but not these.
Old November 16, 2002, 02:21 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I THINK, but am not certain, that several of the larger Mars handguns from Britain were also long recoil.

And I suppose you could make a case for the Webley-Fosberry revolver being long-recoil, as well.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.