The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Closed Thread

Old October 15, 2017, 04:28 PM   #1
YankeeIronSights

Troy Vs. Savage

I am considering buying one of these two .308 rifles. Savage fcp-sr or a Troy Pump Action Rifle.

I am pondering the pros and cons of each model.

The selected model will be primarily a range rifle and may be used for deer hunting, at some point.

Can any current owner please share impressions about these rifles?

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by YankeeIronSights; October 16, 2017 at 04:19 AM.
Old October 16, 2017, 12:35 PM   #2
CarJunkieLS1

Do you seem to favor the ergonomics of a bolt action, or the ergonomicsof the AR platform?

I have never shot a Troy but if your getting a Troy why not just get a semi auto? I have shot and been around many Savages and they are good shooters. My vote goes to Savage
Old October 16, 2017, 01:44 PM   #3
RC20

Those are two totally diametrically opposed guns and frankly functionality.

The Savage can be dual use, certainly should excel on the range.

the Troy is maybe a decent hunting rifle but for accuracy I would not go there.

You can buy the Cabella only 10T for a great price, has pretty much the same features as the FCP-SR as far as I can tell (current $100 rebate)
Old October 16, 2017, 02:01 PM   #4
Pahoo

Define your expectaions

You are looking for performance which is based, on your expectations. By my measure and personal expectations, I would go with the Savage. Generally, a bolt action is more accurate that a pump or semi-auto. Again, start by defining "your" expectations. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 16, 2017, 03:17 PM   #5

Those are two vastly different guns. I guess it would come down to personal preference.

I do own the Savage FCP-SR rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I bought it as an entry level long range precision rifle. I use it regularly out to 1200 yards and I am more than satisfied with it. I put 50 rounds through it a few days ago in 10, 5 shot groups and all of them were under an inch. It is a good shooter for a factory rifle with a factory barrel. With that particular model, I really like the bolt handle. I liked the fact that it was threaded (I do own a suppressor). I believe it comes with a 20 MOA rail (I replaced my rail with a Night Force steel rail). I guess the detachable magazine might be a plus although it really serves no purpose for me personally. I shoot mine pretty much exclusively by single loading it one round at a time.
Another plus with the Savage rifles is that there is a lot of aftermarket support for the rifles with everything from stocks to chassis to triggers, to bolt handles....................................
In addition, if you buy a barrel vice, a wrench, and a set of headspace gauges, you can rebarrel the rifle yourself at home. A number of companies sell pre-chambered and pre-threaded barrels to screw right on a Savage action. You can also buy bolt heads if you want to rebarrel to a cartridge that uses a different bolt head.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old October 16, 2017, 06:21 PM   #6
RC20

AGreed
Old October 16, 2017, 08:02 PM   #7
YankeeIronSights

Troy Vs. Savage

Thanks for all your feedback and suggestions. I followed your advice and stopped by my LGS and picked up the Savage. I compared both rifle triggers and the Savage is definitely amazing. The bolt is super smooth to operate. I am very happy with this purchase. The range report will come soon. Thanks again for your recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 16, 2017, 08:07 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Definitely give us the range report.
Closed Thread