The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 19, 2016, 02:16 AM   #1
oldrow

Free float hand guard

I'm having some trouble deciding on a rail for my DPMS oracle (yes I know it's a lower end gun). I'm pretty new to the game but I'd like to free float the next handguard I put on it. I want to hear some recommendations factoring in price, performance, and ease of installation. Also if anyone could tell me what kind of low profile gas block I would need (size?) that would be great.
Old June 19, 2016, 03:11 AM   #2
Theohazard

Welcome to TFL!

My last upper build used a Midwest Industries 12" M-Lok free-float rail. It's fairly inexpensive, pretty lightweight, and very easy to install. It does take a bit of trial-and-error to get the top rail to line up perfectly with the rail on the upper receiver after you tighten it down, but it's not difficult at all, it just takes a few tries to get it perfect if you're OCD about those types of things like I am.

As for the low-profile gas block, I'd bet the Oracle uses a normal-sized .750" one, but I'm not sure on that.

But I have to ask, what's the reason you want a free-float handguard? I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but sometimes people think they need a free-float handguard when they really don't.
Old June 19, 2016, 05:07 AM   #3
darkgael

float

Quote:
But I have to ask, what's the reason you want a free-float handguard? I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but sometimes people think they need a free-float handguard when they really don't.
Excellent question and observation.
The main reason for using a free float handquard is to remove sling pressure from the barrel when shooting with the sling at longer distances. If you do not "sling up" when you shoot, you don't need a free float handguard.
Old June 19, 2016, 12:15 PM   #4
oldrow

To be honest, I just love the way they feel and look, as well as the appeal of a longer rail. I know it is not something I need at all, but it is definitely something I would like to do to my gun.
What do you think of aluminum gas blocks? I know steel/titanium is preferable.
Old June 19, 2016, 01:06 PM   #5
Theohazard

That's a good enough reason as far as I'm concerned .

As far as aluminum gas blocks, your Oracle already has one, and that's part of what makes it a lower-end rifle. When the rifle heats up, there is going to be a difference in the way the barrel expands and the gas block expands, which can lead to gas pressure problems.

Tags
ar-15 , free float , hand guard